Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide problems with Slide Show

emcee
Explorer
Explorer
Slide Show

2003 Tioga 23E. Slide will only extend 1/2 way. 1st assumption was that the slide was dragging more than usual. Looked outside and saw that slide is tilted in at the top (was it always that way?) Found rear height adjustment completely loose. One of the horizontal bolts was missing the nut and the jackbolt and other horizontal bolt nuts were completely loose.

Thought that since the slide was tilted in, and the height adjustment was loose, then I needed to bring the height adjustment down to fix the tilt. That didn't work. Slide extended even less before stopping.

Noticed that the right side (when looking from the inside) clearance was less than the right side. Adjusted the rails be separating the drive shaft and moving the rear (left when looking form the inside) out more. That didn't work. Slide extended even less before stopping. Put the adjustment almost back to where it was.

Thought that maybe the slide was dragging too much. Went back to the height adjustment and raised the slide all the way (this was less than 1 inch change). That didn't work. Slide extended about 1/2 way like before I started.

This all started while doing normal maintenance and checkout in preparation for the day when we get to drive out of this frozen wasteland. The temperature on that day was in the lower 40's. It's been way colder since. Maybe the grease on the slide mechanism (which shouldn't be there - thanks PO) is the problem? Maybe the slide still needs rail or height adjustment?

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
Are you sure the slide cover is not frozen up? Looks like the top is pulled back and the only reason I can see that would cause that is if the slide topper is not opening.

X3

wildernesshd
Explorer
Explorer
Check the floor area where the slide mechanism attaches you ay have some bad wood , almost lost the bedroom slide on my old 5ver. The slide is basically a box bolted to the rails.
2012 GMC \Denali 3500 4X4 DURAMAX Allison EFI live tuner 4 inch Exhaust
2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE 5th wheel 4 slides
statements in this post should be considered opinions and not facts

tmilicia
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is for the frozen slide topper!
2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 SRW CC 6.7L
2016 Forest River XLR 395AMP Toy Hauler

2013 Cruiser RV Viewfinder V-28BHSS (SOLD)
2012 Ford F150 FX4 EcoBoost (SOLD)
2011 Palomino Stampede S-195 (SOLD)
2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 (SOLD)

dyb
Explorer
Explorer
x2
2005 F 250 5.4, 4.10 Gear, Tow/Haul, TorqShift Tranny 8ft. Box
Built in Break Controller
Super Duty super cab 158" wheel base
Eagle 320 rlds 2008
Raised Oct, 1988
Reese Dual Cam

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure the slide cover is not frozen up? Looks like the top is pulled back and the only reason I can see that would cause that is if the slide topper is not opening.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

emcee
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Looks like it is binding in the photo of the top left (Second photo) may need to come down a bit.

Yes I agree I raised it too much. I'm going to realign vertically and horizontally and clean all the grease off the rails and rollers when I'm somewhere warm. Let everything melt before I try again.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like it is binding in the photo of the top left (Second photo) may need to come down a bit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"