cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small Pellet Grills

Ka_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I am just curious as we came across a small portable pellet grill for camping and RV'ing.

We have used a big one and they do an excellent job of grilling.

Has anyone used the portable pellet grills that run off 12 volt or an AC adapter?

How do they work?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a dc plug up by the pin box, tapping off a dc light fixture. The dc cord is long. The Davy Crockett has a cover but it is a pretty weird shape. It is small enough to fit in our 5th wheel basement.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a Green Mountain Grills Davey Crockett. This is their tailgater model. The legs fold up to become a carrying handle. And they have just come out with a WiFi version that connects to your smart phone, allowing you to control the grill and monitor the food temp using your phone.

It runs off 110v, 12v (cigarette plug), and also comes with alligator clamps so you can use a frestanding 12v battery. Used it only a couple times but I can tell I'm REALLY gonna like it. You just can't beat the flavor that wood smoke adds to anything that is cooked on a grill.

I think it should work just as well as a larger model - the process is exactly the same. I think I read somewhere that a 15 pound turkey will fit. I know it has enough room to cook 2 whole chickens.

Tim

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers and carry a Green Mountain Davey Crocket with us. It makes great smoked foods. We use it almost exclusively on dc power. only using ac power when cooking overnight. Wish we would have had it on our Alaska trip last year since we dry camped so much and the dc function would have been wonderful.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Traeger PTG last September as a presumed step-up from the Weber Jumbo Joe; it was very difficult to smoke anything in the Joe although it was fine as a grill, and a WSM couldn't be crammed in anywhere. Since we were making a permanent move to another home base we had to leave the big BGE, Weber Performer and various other cookers in storage until we could retrieve them and just go with what we could carry.

We use a grill just about every day and a smoker about once a week. I've cooked with ice on the ground, snow falling and of course rain and wind and 100F+ temperatures. The DW supervises from indoors. LOL

The PTG purports to be a one-stop small replacement for the grill and smoker. The useful cooking area is about 9x12.

I found a spot in a bay it would fit with no problem. It's a bit difficult to lift it in and out since it's about 40 pounds. Those bags of pellets take up a lot of space and weight too. Since we were backroading it from Northeast Georgia to Texas via South Louisiana we figured we weren't going to find pellets at any store we might come across so loaded up from Traeger via mailorder.

BTW, and this is IMPORTANT, the Traeger PTG sold by dealers on Amazon is NOT covered by Traeger's warranty, so buy direct from Traeger; it's the same price anyway.

The first test run showed a couple of difficulties that would need to be dealt with. The stock controller has a few settings but doesn't give a clue what the target temperature is or what the actual temperature at the grate is. I've observed the thermometer in the lid to be as much as 80F different from the grate temperature. The way this thing works is that the auger dumps pellets into the firepot and the length of time the auger runs determines how hot it is; ie, 10 seconds out of 60 gives so much heat and 15 seconds out of 60 gives more heat etc.

I rigged up my pit probe and found temperature swings of up to 150F at the low settings! Full speed got around 400F with small swings.

I learned that Traeger had recently released a digital controller so decided to give that a try. Installation was easy. The digital controller has a sensor inside the cooker and a digital readout so the actual temperature can be seen. It runs the auger continuously until the set temperature is reached, then goes into "keep the fire lit" mode, then on and off as needed. The digital controller does far better than the stock although the temperatures printed for each setting are often far different than what's actually obtained.

OK, that problem solved. The second is that getting the usual sear marks when grilling with the stock grate is just about impossible and nobody likes grey steak. A set of GrillGrates solved that problem.

A third problem is that the auger will empty out the pellets in the middle of the bin creating a hole but the rest of the pellets won't fall in. The pellets aren't sticky but the slope isn't enough for them to overcome friction and fall. The only solution to that is to routinely push pellets toward the middle or refill the hopper. You can't just set it and go off for hours.

We used the PTG almost every day for three months and cooking results were mixed. At low'n'slow cooking temperatures of around 225F to 250F things were rather quickly oversmoked which isn't surprising given the billowing clouds of white smoke. The solution of course is to foil the meat when it's the desired color but of course foiling can change the texture of the meat and I usually don't like to do it. It worked out better at a higher cooking temperature of around 325F I think because it's a cleaner fire with less smoldering, and there was pretty much no smoke flavor or color at the High setting. I think the oversmoking with the PTG is because it's so small compared to the other Traeger pits.

So as with any pit there's a learning curve getting used to the way the pit wants to cook. At the end of three months I could get pretty much the results we wanted but since we had arrived our homebase we immediately bought a 22" WSM and a big grill and the PTG went back in its bay. Do I recommend it? Not particularly, but I don't strongly say to avoid it either.
-jbh-

reubenray
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Traeger Junior with the tailgate package. I use this all the time at home and on the road.

It is the Traeger PTG model that the pellet hopper is under the main cover.
2017 Newmar Ventana LE4037
2016 Chevy Equinox

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Green Mountain Davy Crockett. Great little grill that works on electric or battery power. Nice size hopper, food probe, does both slow BBQ and direct grilling. Worth looking into.

I also have their full-size Daniel Boone. Use it year round. Pellet grills are great for anything you want to cook. So far this month I've done Pork Butt (pulled Pork), salmon, chicken, steaks, burgers, pot roast, assorted veggies and tators, and even a blueberry cobbler. Just some idea as to what all can be done on a pellet cooker.

Only caution on the Traeger. One of them has the pellet hopper under the main cover. I don't know the model, but this creates problem when steam is created in the grill and the moisture gets into the pellets.

Good luck with what ever you decide I think you'll be happy cooking on a pellet grill.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

Cooksonthego
Explorer
Explorer
Have the Treager PTG (portable Treager Grill) and love it. It is 110V AC, not 12V DC. Use it at home, camping and travel to friends and family with it. It won't do a full turkey, but a nice smoked turkey breast came off it. :B It isn't the lightest thing, but I move it around just fine. The pellets are pretty easy to find and a bag last quite a while.

If you have used or seen one in the past, they are a good choice.

Wow, maybe I better fire it up and smoke some pork... I'm getting hungry! :W

Bill

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never heard of one.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ka Ron wrote:
I am just curious as we came across a small portable pellet grill for camping and RV'ing.

We have used a big one and they do an excellent job of grilling.

Has anyone used the portable pellet grills that run off 12 volt or an AC adapter?

How do they work?

Thanks
I bought a Tragger grill, A bullet but it has a small container you fill with pellets and use there fluid for lighting. No power source is required. I have not had a chance to use it. I wanted something small enough to fit in the storage compartment.