cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

snowbird advice needed

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
OK, this is the first year we are planning on doing the snowbird routine (Michigan/Florida) and there are a number of things that we never had to think about. We intend on winterizing our Michigan home just because even minimal heating is extremely costly. For those that have done this, or do this, what do you do with cans of paint, etc, that may or may not do well in sub-freezing temps?

This will be the first of at least a few inquiries and, I am sure we will forget some things but, all help appreciated.

Thanks.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
21 REPLIES 21

allenm
Explorer
Explorer
I set the heat to 55 back home. But then I also winterize the house in case the furnace fails. I have the water dept. turn water off at meter. I turn the water main off inside house and relieve the pressure on water lines. Leave all faucets open, including outside faucets. Turn off gas water heater and drain it. Fill all traps with -35 windshield fluid.

Leave kit & bath cab doors open. Move all water based liquids to bath tubs and rubber maid tubs. That includes the garage.

About the only thing I don't take the time to do is blow out the water lines. This way I can sleep soundly knowing even if heat fails, there will be minimum to no damage back home.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There are many posts on this subject but we leave the heat on 55 F and shutoff the water and water heater. We also have an internet camera with a view to the thermometer to be sure the heat is still working. There are also low temp alarms that can be connected to your phone to alert you.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the concern about leaving a home unheated in the winter but winterizing a home is similar to winterizing an RV. The home I now live in used to be my "summer" home in the woods. We winterized it some years and kept it open for winter events other years. We get some very cold and deep winters in northern Michigan but have never had pipes burst due to the cold because we winterize it properly - though there was a real good point about separation of joints etc. that I hadn't considered previously. In the past, though, I had another home that I actually lived in so paint and other liquids were housed there. I was just wondering if anyone else had dealt with this - but maybe not so much.

I'll figure this out and maybe will leave the place lightly heated - we will see.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I leave cans of paint in the garage during well below freezing temps..
It's probably not good for the paint but, it has never caused a problem.

Put the paint cans in heavy duty or doubled up garbage bags. It will be okay.
Or, if you have a lot of items, put them in the same area and run a small electric heater on low.
If you turn the power off, bag everything that can freeze and leak.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to not lower your house temperature down to subfreezing. You might have a lot more to worry about than a few cans of paint. Every year up here in MN, a snowbird turns their heat off with disastrous results, usually a broken water pipe.
The other things that can happen are framing separating, wall coverings failing, appliances breaking, etc. If you can afford the trip South, budget in a few bucks each month for heat. You won't have to keep it 70f inside but should research a reliable temperature to keep it at.

BTW, this year is predicted to be mild and fuel costs are down so both of those should work in your favor.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mikemc53 wrote:
We intend on winterizing our Michigan home just because even minimal heating is extremely costly.

Sorry, but this makes no sense whatsoever to me. :? I can't imagine leaving our house for extended periods of time and not having it sufficiently heated that interior temps would always remain well above the freezing point ... at the very least I would have thought home insurance policies would require it. How "costly" could it be to maintain a reasonable interior temperature for perhaps 4 months during the coldest winter months? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380