cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Panels

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of trading our rv to one that has a residential refrigerator and a 1000 watt inverter. How much solar power would we need to keep the batteries charged to run the refrigerator while dry camping......I am also concerned about leaks from where the panels are screwed to the roof......
6 REPLIES 6

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
four hundred watts in a sunny climate, eight hundred in a rainy/shady climate.

I've never had a leak from the solar panels.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the same spot. Going to order a new Landmark with residential fridge and that has been my question. Seems like there is no easy answer. Depends on whether you like sunshine or shade. If boondocking, what other electric draws will you be running. It does seem these new RV's use LEDs for most of the lighting so depending on you night time vision needs that's a plus.
We're not boondockers but we have drycamped a night or two and from what I understand two nights without running much more than necessaries two 12vt battteries will hold you over and allow enough power to run your slides and leveling.
So the question is how big of a battery bank you want, then match the solar to keep it charged.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends on how much power your particular refriderator uses, and the conditions you camp in. Most of the information I see on the net in regards to soar requirements drastically underestimates in my opinion. You also need to account for other uses such as parasitic draw, lights, tv if you'll be watching that any etc.

For my system euth flat mounted panels I plan on 70 percent of rated output as an average. In the spot I'm in now trees shade part of the panels 3 to 4 hours towards evening. Hasn't made much difference though as we have been getting afternoon rain about the same time of day. It's actally rare that our summer dry camping is in ares/spots where solar haverest is optimal. In the winter we use sothern areas where tree cover and afternoon showers aren't really an issue.
Plan your system for where and how you'll use it
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
With 600 or so, you should do fine. If doing fall/winter camping you'll need a little generator assistance. Heater run time and short days (less charging) will probably use up your batteries rather quickly. We're running about 800 watts and supplement with the generator daily. 2 to 4 hours daily run time is usually plenty! But, we watch too much tv (the inverter powers up most of the unit when on) and we camp with the low temps in single digits to teens with short nights. The panels simply can't keep up!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Use DiCor over the screws and you will not have any roof leaks. Four 6 volt batteries and 600 watts of solar and you will do great.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fridge uses what when running? That plus your other AH use will determine necessary batteries, then we get to the solar required.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad