cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Staying in Shape to RV Longer

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I just read a post by a gentleman who said they had just given up their RV lifestyle They were in their 80's!!!
At age 68 I would love to be able to keep at it another 10-15 years.
With that goal in mind I have stepped up my exercise program so I have better general overall fitness.
I met with a personal trainer at the YMCA and told him what I wanted to accomplish. I am now on a program of aerobic exercise, weight lifting and stretching. I can feel the difference in flexibility and strength already.
It takes strength and stamina for some of the set-up. unloading and hook-up of a travel trailer as well as the hiking and biking we do.
Do you have a program to keep fit and healthy so you can enjoy the RV lifestyle as long as possible?
37 REPLIES 37

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
CarolynandBob wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Many places now have a new fast-growing sport called Pickleball. It's very, very popular with seniors and is excellent exercise. We play 4-6x/week and we're in our mid-70's and have knee replacements.

We just started playing and love it. When we start full timing in January we are hoping to find people to play with. We play mainly at the YMCA here in east San Diego County. Do you or anyone else know if a YMCA membership will work cross country?
Yes the Y has an away program which allows you to go to Y's that participate in the program and most do.

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
CarolynandBob wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Many places now have a new fast-growing sport called Pickleball. It's very, very popular with seniors and is excellent exercise. We play 4-6x/week and we're in our mid-70's and have knee replacements.

We just started playing and love it. When we start full timing in January we are hoping to find people to play with. We play mainly at the YMCA here in east San Diego County. Do you or anyone else know if a YMCA membership will work cross country?

Check this out as you travel. Also, many RV parks now have pickleball. You don't need a 'Y' membership to play free at many places.

http://www.usapa.org/places-to-play-pickleball/?code=AZ

Thank you
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
YouTube is full of stretching and exercise vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aBPh_2eEo

Good point. Thanks for posting that.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
eheading wrote:
Well, I will turn 80 in a month, and my wife is 4 months behind me. We have not done any special exercise plans, but do keep busy. We did downsize from a 41' motorhome to a 34' a few years ago, but our still enjoying our RV and traveling. THis summer was a light one, travelwise, only covered 6000 miles. We've been RVing for 50 years this coming spring, maybe that has something to do with it. Personally I just think we have been very blessed, and the two of us are VERY thankful for that!@

Ed Headington

I am in a very similar situation but have about two additional months to wait until 80. We plan to continue to RV for one more year and conclude our travels with a trip to Texas next winter. After that our RV will be permanently parked in our sons campground in Michigan to be used as our "summer place" ๐Ÿ™‚

I echo Ed's last sentence.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We joined the YMCA with our medicare Advantage Silver Sneakers plan. The neat thing about that is the card is good anywhere that accepts it. You can use it on the road even for a short time while camping.
jesseannie

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I will turn 80 in a month, and my wife is 4 months behind me. We have not done any special exercise plans, but do keep busy. We did downsize from a 41' motorhome to a 34' a few years ago, but our still enjoying our RV and traveling. THis summer was a light one, travelwise, only covered 6000 miles. We've been RVing for 50 years this coming spring, maybe that has something to do with it. Personally I just think we have been very blessed, and the two of us are VERY thankful for that!@

Ed Headington

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
CarolynandBob wrote:
2gypsies wrote:

Check this out as you travel. Also, many RV parks now have pickleball. You don't need a 'Y' membership to play free at many places.

http://www.usapa.org/places-to-play-pickleball/?code=AZ
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
The whole diet and exercise is everything is partly true but genetics can take you for a bad turn or maybe your work history. No one will argue that working outdoors in construction is "exercise" but it will also tear up your body like nothing else. Throw in some genetic conditions like RA, osteo etc and you can have issues regardless of what you do.

You simply have to deal with life and the cards you are dealt. Some can be active into their 80s and 90's even while others can be a shell of a person in their late 60's with Alzheimers.

Enjoy the time you have and get to the best of your ability and try and not hurt yourself by being over weight or doing detrimental things to your health.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charley67 wrote:
The Bible says we are fearfully and wonderfully made, and we really are.
It's always dangerous to drag the Bible in on anything, but from my church-going years (long time ago) I do remember something about your body being a temple and you're supposed to take care of it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
At a minimum, I do three sets of ten pushups three times a day (90 pushups), three sets of five pullups three times a day, 2 minute planks three times a day, thirty squats three times a day, and ten thousand steps walking every other day. Beyond that, stretching, exercise bands, weight training and bicycling whenever possible.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
YouTube is full of stretching and exercise vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2aBPh_2eEo
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Another pay attention to what I eat and how I use my body person. Been eating better for almost 2 decades and exercising regularly for the last 14 years. Does me good.

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting post. The Bible says we are fearfully and wonderfully made, and we really are. My wife and I are each 67 and are very healthy, as far as we know. We don't take any medicine and try to make sensible health choices; yet, I fully understand that doesn't guarantee us anything. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 are some great verses on this subject for Bible believers.