cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stupid stupid idiot towing a TT

Well, I see a lot of stupid stuff on the road that makes me shake my head and wonder if the driver found his brain inside a jar of peanut butter.....
I generally keep most of it to myself because I've seen the speculation that abounds here from mishaps and dumb driving and more and how threads get out of control. And I don't like starting threads that get out of control and get shut down. But anyways.....

I just have to share this one....

About a mile from my house this morning, I was approaching a light when I saw, on a major highway, stopped at a red light something that caught my eye and I have to say I was shocked, dumbfounded in disbelief.

Basic half ton pickup towing a small single axle older TT, about a 17 foot unit.

What caught my eye was the crazy angle the TT was to the TV. First reaction, whoa dude!!! Who taught you how to hitch up?? The back of the TT was up in the air and the nose was nearly dragging on the pavement. What the ??? I was turning right into a merge lane onto the same highway so couldn't see any closer. His light turns green, I get stopped at a red light close by so I'm watching in the mirror as he approaches. He takes the exit to the right of where I'm stopped and he is just hauling a$$ around the corner.

Then I saw it.

His front A frame hitch on the TT is broken! The propane bottles are stuffed into the front of the TT, the trailer is nearly on the ground in the front, the hitch back from the ball of the TV was on the same angle the other way so this thing was like a V in the middle.
And! That's not all! One side of the A frame was broken completely off on one side and hanging down under the front off the TT. About a 3 foot piece of frame just dangling in the breeze!

And this bozo is just giving er down the road around the corner onto another highway.

There is absolutely no way this clown could have been unaware of the situation. A mirror check, adverse handling, wandering TT etc would have alerted even the most inexperienced and dumb driver that maybe just maybe, perhaps something is off a bit! He had to know of the situation, he had to!

Don't know where he was headed but I just hope and pray that thing didn't come off and kill somebody.

Thinking about it later, coulda shoulda woulda, why didn't I pull over and call 911? Don't know, I can't answer that one. Didn't even think about it til later. Stupid me I guess.

Maybe I should share about the speeding truck and TT that passed me going way to fast and wiped out and rolled over last weekend.... hmm...
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
24 REPLIES 24

treeofliberty
Explorer
Explorer
In 2016, we were camping in Jedediah Smith Redwoods State park, in the old growth redwoods of Northern California. They say, nothing longer than 31-feet, and we were a little over at 32, but no problems getting in or out. One night, a 42-foot diesel bus comes into the back of the park (where we were), and eventually gets hung up on a tree branch. I think to myself, "what an idiot", and proceed to get a couple pictures as I enjoy my self-righteous disgust.

Then I learn the real story. A woman is taking her dying mother on one last trip across the country, while home-schooling her kids. Her husband didn't want to make the trip, so she struck out on her own. Her mom just wanted to touch a redwood, and she made a bad choice on a turn, ripping off an awning. As we helped her get the awning off and get turned around, we learned the whole story of her journey, including all the troubles she'd dealt with alone, as she eventually ended up in tears. She was an incredibly strong, resourceful, and brave woman, who just made a wrong turn at the end of a long day. I felt like the biggest a-hole in California, which is no small accomplishment.

Who knows what that guy was dealing with, and he may have just been an idiot. It would comfort us all if there were other circumstances that justified the lunacy.
Tim

2013 F-350 6.7L Diesel, Crew Cab, Shortbed, Andersen Ultimate 2
2017 Grand Design Reflection 29RS, 540 watts of solar, Magnum MS2812 inverter, Bogart Engineering TM-2025 and SC-2030, weBoost 4G-M cell booster

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
I loaned my 1/2 ton pick up to a friend who said he wanted to go pick up some sand for his kids sand box. I had no idea that he would almost fill the whole bed with sand. The bumper was almost dragging the ground when I went over to his place to help unload it. I was busy that morning and could not go with him but when I saw that I told him he might be replacing the shocks and springs on my truck. I was a bit POed to say the least.
Been there, done that, to my own truck when I was younger.

Two ton of pulverized limestone in a half ton pickup box. Only had to haul it less than 12 miles on a back country road. I can do it. Well maybe not. Fortunately only took out the rear shocks, and not the springs. Never abused a truck like that again!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I loaned my 1/2 ton pick up to a friend who said he wanted to go pick up some sand for his kids sand box. I had no idea that he would almost fill the whole bed with sand. The bumper was almost dragging the ground when I went over to his place to help unload it. I was busy that morning and could not go with him but when I saw that I told him he might be replacing the shocks and springs on my truck. I was a bit POed to say the least.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I wondered how many other of those paid for hooks up installations went out the door and down the road like that. I know I do see a ton of them in my travels.

Hard to believe this guy couldn't feel the front tire roll as he drove down the road to park next to me at a CG! :B

That guy next to you has equalizer bars on his set up.
Why didn't you go over and help him/suggest on how to use them?

Maybe he was new too towing and didn't know how to adjust them right.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
It just not people with campers.
I was down at the gravel yard getting gravel for my new camper parking pad. This pad took about 8 ton of 2a to build. Now I own a F250 and a 10k dump trailer and I can only haul 4 tons at a time. Even that's a bit heavy for me. But it's the same trailer as a 12k but it's listed as a 10k for licensing reasons.
I get my stone and in comes this guy with a F150 and a 7k dump trailer. He gets 5 ton of stone. That's 10000 lbs of stone in a 7000 gvwr trailer. All I could do is shake my head and be glad that he was going north and I was going south.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob, as a bozo, I'm offended... ๐Ÿ™‚

100 points to rockhill for getting in a shot at a dealer ...

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
It is not just the owners stupidity.

I bought a new TT, told them to pick out an appropriate new hitch,sway bars and the like from an RV dealer and 'paid them' to install and hook up the TT properly simply because I didn't want to bother with it.

When I came around the corner of the shop and took one look at how they had hooked it up and leveled it I went postal. An idiot could have seen it was not level and had the wrong drop down hitch.

I wondered how many other of those paid for hooks up installations went out the door and down the road like that. I know I do see a ton of them in my travels.

Hard to believe this guy couldn't feel the front tire roll as he drove down the road to park next to me at a CG! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a favorite campsite at a PA state park which has a good view of the road coming into the campground. I like the site because I can sit and watch everything that comes in and out. Just when I think I have seen it all along comes another who takes the towing blue ribbon moron prize LOL.

The last few years have been interesting watching new owners of new rigs with new or newer tow vehicles. There is no shortage of the towing clueless out there.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe it had just happened on the road and he figured he was close enough to home to risk towing it rather than calling for an expensive haul...

Or maybe he's one of the many folks who buy an old cheap RV to live in and he has no money to fix it so he continues along with it broken.

So many possibilities.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
he drove it like he stole it :S