cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions to Use Sherline Scale

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get the tongue coupler on the scale? I'm thinking of having the coupler positioned so it easily can lift off the ball. Then lower it, raise the jack, lay a small length of 2x on the scale, place the scale under the jack shoe and raise it until it lifts off the ball. That puts it a ways to the rear of the coupler and I have no idea how that affects accuracy.

The directions suggest putting the screw on piece into the coupler for most accurate reading, so if you do it that way, what's your procedure?
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."
11 REPLIES 11

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. It will be a few days before I can weigh it, but I'm guessing about 1400#. 1155 is the factory number, but the full width closet in the bedroom is full, since we lived in it winters, plus all the underneath storage is from the front continuing back a few feet. If I really used that storage I'd be over my Equalizer 1400# bars quite a bit. As it is we move as much weight as we can in the back of the trailer when traveling.
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you're worried about stiction from the scale going up into the coupler, why not put a hardwood board between the scale and the coupler? That won't affect the reading by a couple of pounds, which is less than the resolution of the scale.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Barney is absolutely correct. the sherline is a nice tool, but to make it affordable, it is basically just a hydraulic pressure gauge and a piston 1 sq in area. So it translates into 1lb force = 1psi on the gauge. and the gauge face is redone for lbs rather than psi.

try to get as vertical a load as possible and average a few. In any case with reasonable attention the results you get will be more than sufficient for determining tongue weight. Also best accuracy is if the weight is near the middle of the scale range.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Good tip Barney, thank you. I'll try that out myself
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Once you get a scale reading I suggest you get about two more and average them. The Sherline scale is very susceptible to "stiction" when placed under a trailer tongue. That means that even the slightest sideways pressure will give an erroneous reading. It is kind of difficult to get the pressure straight down on the scale. Try to get a few readings and if they all agree - great. If not - average them.
Barney

I also experienced what Barney says about different readings with my scale.

I used the Floor Jack method. Took 3 readings and then averaged them.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once you get a scale reading I suggest you get about two more and average them. The Sherline scale is very susceptible to "stiction" when placed under a trailer tongue. That means that even the slightest sideways pressure will give an erroneous reading. It is kind of difficult to get the pressure straight down on the scale. Try to get a few readings and if they all agree - great. If not - average them.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I've used mine on top of a floor jack, just jack the scale up into the coupler until the tongue jack is off the ground.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
My apologies, I wasn't very clear. But the light bulb just lit. I have some great 14" or so long blocks of oversized railway ties used by the RRs. If I stack two of them and place the scale on them, it will be about the height of the coupler when on the ball. Retracting the jack a tad then will give me the weight.

The fog gets thicker every year.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Backing up a bit, are we talking 5th wheel, or bumper pull?

I have a bumper pull, and the tongue coupler (post?) just finds a home inside the ball mount, I'm not sure what's in there, but it finds something flat enough to rest on.

for safety's sake, you don't want to fully retract your jack, just enough to lift the jack foot off the ground a slight bit to transfer the tongue weight to the scale.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have a unit, and if you want to borrow it, just pay for shipping
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
It's not rocket science, even though the instructions would have you believing otherwise.

I sat my sherline on a bunch 'o blocks, more so I'd have less tongue jacking to do, rather than emulate ball position on the truck or anything like that.

The tongue coupler just screwed right into the cup of my scale, there wasn't any trick to it that I recall.