cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swim suit driers are so inconsiderate?

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
It seems a lot of parks we've stayed in have rules against having a laundry line.

Sure, I can imagine that someone, somewhere went way overboard, but for your average family in your average RV park with a pool, a little laundry line strung between the canopy bars would be perfect for wet towels and swimsuits when the kiddies return from swimming.

The last park I stayed at said "dry your stuff in the drier"... yuck, that sort of screams "nasty cash grab!"

Now, instead of all of the classic "right of the park to set rules versus the right of the camper to go elsewhere" comments, I really would like to hear how many of you have ever seen over-the-top abuse of laundry lines, or are somehow inconvenienced if a neighbor throws a towel and swim suit over a line to dry?

...and from our resident RV park manager???

I just can't imagine that gross abuse of laundry drying is a widespread problem to the enjoyment of fellow campers, or that rules could not be written to address an extreme situation while allowing one to hang a few towels out.
53 REPLIES 53

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
I have only read the first page of replies.

When I read the Subject, I thought OP was going to talk about people who use the electric hand driers to dry their bathing suits.

I have never come across a campground that has a rule about hanging up laundry. I have seen rules about running a laundry line between trees.

We use the ladder, backs of chairs, awning struts etc to dry beach towels and swim suits. When we do laundry, we use a laundromat and anything that needs to hand to dry is hung up inside the camper.

In New Zealand campgrounds have clotheslines for guests to use. That seems to be really civilized to me.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the older couple, I'm sure it wasn't the 1.25 X1 load. It's the 1.25 X 4 loads per week X 52 weeks . They were trying to save money. You never know, some wealthy people would save any way they can, and that is how they have their wealth. Others can't afford to spend that much of their monthly budget for a dryer. You never know the situation, but having the laundry all over the place isn't a good thing. Too bad they didn't practice some discretion and only do a few things at a time.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Well Terry, your people are way ahead of me and mine. Our main problem is drool, and bodily secerations.

The good news for us is, it does kill any mold, or any live thing for that matter.

Which probably explains why we never see a need to use dry, or for that matter clean towels.

LOL keep the faith!!

Lisaren
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I just don't get the controversy. We have been camping over 20 years. We have always hung a few towels or bathing suits over the awning lines to dry if necessary. I have always assumed the no clothes lines means don't run a line from camper to tree or across the campsite. I see this from a safety standpoint. It is easy to miss a line strung up in the air that does not have anything on it and someone could get hurt. We have never been asked to remove the towels or bathing suits that were hung on the awning - not even the time we had a water leak and every towel we had with us got soaked and had to be hung out (the campground did not have a drier and I did not have a clothes basket to transport them to town).
Lisaren
Madison5004
2 rugrats
2001 Flagstaff 227 Pop-Up
2 non-camping cats - Miss Kitty and Jet
1 dog - Sirius

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to have been the most quoted here in this thread, but unfortunately only partially quoted.

I respect the rules that "westernrvparkowner" has instituted, I merely asked where is the location of his RV park(s). I'm interested in looking at reviews of his park(s) and the reactions of his guests and their experiences while staying with him.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the OPs question was more in line with swim suits, and towels, rather than an entire wardrobe. and that is what I was referencing. Location was not mentioned. so as we swim, and shower, in the mountains as well. We hang towels, and suits out there too. But then. You know how us Hillbillies are. We do like dry mold free towels, and suits.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Our neighbors last weekend were a couple from Chicago and their grandkids. Their beautiful new Phaeton diesel pusher is worth more than our (very nice) house.

What did they have hanging from their rear ladder?

A board they had cut to fit the ladder rungs that hung sideways and was used to dry their swimsuits and towels.

I guess us trailer folks aren't the only ones pulling such shenanigans! :E

Anyway, it was no big deal. We saw a few swimsuits and towels while we were sitting out under our awning. Not the end of the world.

Of course, they spent all of their time inside watching their huge flat screen television so they wouldn't know whether or not their clothes were a bother. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Can you not see the difference between a beach rv place, And a rv place in the middle of the rockies? Can you not see the difference, between hanging out some towels and swim suits, vs your entire laundry?

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
its about liability, more than aesthetics for most camps.
Drying a few items on a rack or awning arms is unlikely to cause harm, but a line to a tree or post could hurt someone that does not see it. It may be one of your own family that forgets about it in the night and ends up 'clotheslined'.
By having the no clothesline rule the park insulates itself mostly from liability, if they have a record of enforcing rules. Then the liability is primarily yours.
Sure, the risk is low, but accidents have happened enough for insurance carriers to list clotheslines as an 'avoidable risk'.
So, camp owners listen to their ins. provider & attorney, preferring to never have the issue.
Sorry.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can promise you. The RV parks I stay at Myrtle Beach are NOT "low end". They are the most desirable RV RESORTS on the East Coast. Full thru June To September. And they all allow you to hang your wet towels, and bathing suits out on the line. If you read about Ocean Lakes, Lakewood, Pirate Land, and Myrtle Beach Travel Park. The only complaints you will find is about them being too crowded. You won't find one person crying about bathing suits, and towels being hung out to dry. That's just silly.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

cherrykiss3
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay in WRPO's parks any time. I think he tries to run a clean nice park for us to enjoy. If you want to know which ones they are PM him. I am sure he would answer you.

Cherry

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I stayed in a Fla state park earlier in the year, and they had 4x4 posts with eyes for clothes line. It came in handy after DS and I dumped canoe in fast running river..

next trip out was at a different state park and I was saddened to see nails and cords in the trees are rear of site. cord had been there some time as tree was growing into it.

Anything tied to trees was a big NO No when we were hosting at Florida State Parks. It was one rule that was always enforced.

With all these posts no one has mentioned increased liability. A rope strung up, neck high, without clothes could be very dangerous if a person hurrying through your site did not see it! I know, they are not supposed to be in your site, but it happens, often.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
I've read park rules where it states that the awning cannot be used for hanging clothes to dry and that clothes drying outside is limited to drying racks set up behind the RV - free standing or one like these:

Except I think it's the external hanging of laundry that is generally prohibited, not neccesarily whether it's a line or rack.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Does the park now need laundry police to keep the rule from being abused?

They could recruit them from here.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.