cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Swim suit driers are so inconsiderate?

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
It seems a lot of parks we've stayed in have rules against having a laundry line.

Sure, I can imagine that someone, somewhere went way overboard, but for your average family in your average RV park with a pool, a little laundry line strung between the canopy bars would be perfect for wet towels and swimsuits when the kiddies return from swimming.

The last park I stayed at said "dry your stuff in the drier"... yuck, that sort of screams "nasty cash grab!"

Now, instead of all of the classic "right of the park to set rules versus the right of the camper to go elsewhere" comments, I really would like to hear how many of you have ever seen over-the-top abuse of laundry lines, or are somehow inconvenienced if a neighbor throws a towel and swim suit over a line to dry?

...and from our resident RV park manager???

I just can't imagine that gross abuse of laundry drying is a widespread problem to the enjoyment of fellow campers, or that rules could not be written to address an extreme situation while allowing one to hang a few towels out.
53 REPLIES 53

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
We all state our opinions and convictions, not everyone agreesโ€ฆ

He expresses his opinions from a different prospective than you or Iโ€ฆ thatโ€™s hardly Pontificationโ€ฆ thatโ€™s what you can expect in a public forum such as thisโ€ฆ

There is not a reason or a requirement that his position (one that is often common and stated by many CGโ€™s in their rules) has to be agreeable by other forum membersโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We lay damp towels over the backs of our outdoor chairs and let them dry. I do wish small lines would be allowed, and I can't imagine hanging my underwear out for all to see!

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
More than clotheslines for drying towels and bathing suits, what is needed is a rant only forumโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

tropicdad
Explorer
Explorer
We also use a clothes drying rack, search Amazon. Simple, effective, great for towels, etc. Put it next to a lawn chair and its out of sight.
2001 Coachmen Catalina Sport 239SO

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We discreetly hang a towel or two and swimsuits from trekking poles mounted horizontally from our roof ladder at the rear of our MH. It is parallel to the MH and often is not seen from the road and is not offensive. This is not hillbilly activity.

Living in the PNW, much of our life is trying to deal with moisture and humidity. There is no reasonable way to dissipate it inside the MH.

I'd be glad to have a conversation with "westernrvparkowner" about this abusive activity. I do agree about someones skivvies strung on a clothesline between a couple of trees and flapping in the wind.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I keep those hangers that have clips on them. I use them to hang our wet swim wear on the shower rod. Occasionally if I have a really wet beach towel, I'll hang it over the awning arm if the park rules permit.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

shoe777
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these and have not had any trouble.
Drying Rack
DH, Myself
and 5 Fur Balls

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I don't understand the "yuck" part? The pool is chlorinated and the dryer is hot and kills any other germs.

Besides that, I would be more worried about what people do in the pool than the wet clothes in the dryer.

We're animals, our world is filled with "yuck" without going into any of the details.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I hate clothes hanging out drying on anything. Bless my wives heart, everytime I brought it up in the last 36 years I get the same answer.
People will know I wear clean clothes.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excessive laundry is just like excessive stuff. Hang a towel, bathing suit or two and most wont care or say anything. Hang your entire wardrobe and you might get a visit. I've been to state parks after a torrential downpour and every tent camper has hung everything they own out to dry and no one says a word. I've also seen campsites littered with just about everything someone might own and it makes the place look like a work camp scene out of The Grapes of Wrath. Rules are there to give the owner a bit of discretion and control over the campground.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah & lots of parks have a 'no alcohol' rule too. Doesn't mean that nobody drinks. It means that they have the rule to enforce if it is really abused.

We were at a Lake Tahoe CG in June. A rental had clothing out. Everything. Hanging on a line, the fencing, the ladder, everywhere something could possibly hang.

Now THAT was tacky.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Just hang them in the shower like the rest of us do. The no clothes line is a good rule. Its like the no blue tarp rule, keeps everything a bit nicer looking.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

westend
Explorer
Explorer
What about a flagpole....?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I think rather than trying to boost their laundry room income, many parks are worried about a clothes line strung where some kid riding through on a bike can easily get hurt or worse. Regardless, rules is rules. And I suspect that many for which one rule seems unreasonable also thinks another rule is not followed/enforced enough. Such is human nature.
Roaming Full Timer

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
There is a big difference between "laundry" and swim suits & towels drying between uses. Plus, you can't dry a swim suit in the dryer.

I can see where laundry (sheets, clothes, pillow cases and underwear) would be unsightly. But in the summer time I certainly don't see an issue with drying beach towels and swim suits... I carry a small wooden laundry rack and put it behind our rig so it doesn't clutter up the view.