cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tag along ???

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a few references to a "tag along" in some of the forums. What in the world is a "tag along?" Webster defines tagalong as "a person who follows or goes somewhere with another person or group often in an annoying way"

When I see this reference it is usually in relation to some kind of towable camper. My best guess is it is making reference in a derogatory manner to a tent trailer or travel trailer.

Does anyone know what this term means?
25 REPLIES 25

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I take issue with "bumper pull" being rejected in favor of travel trailer. The trailer world is much larger than the RV market. Bumper pull is a universally accepted term.
In my opinion a tag along would be one of those extension platforms on dollies that is fastened with a two point stinger to the back of a vehicle or trailer.

I do not think "bumper pull" is correct at all. I have never had any type of camping equipment that I could pull with my bumper. I have always had to use a hitch secured to the frame. I once had a small trailer that could haul a lawn mower. I think I used the bumper to pull that one.

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it was a Filipino dialect...
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think harbor freight sold that same trailer and called it Tag a long?
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I take issue with "bumper pull" being rejected in favor of travel trailer. The trailer world is much larger than the RV market. Bumper pull is a universally accepted term.
In my opinion a tag along would be one of those extension platforms on dollies that is fastened with a two point stinger to the back of a vehicle or trailer.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Tag-along and bumper pull are both used in place of the correct terminology = travel trailer.

My thoughts exactly, we have travel trailers and fifth wheels etc., the other terms are old fashion. I want to say there use to be a brand named Tag a long or something like that.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Tag-along and bumper pull are both used in place of the correct terminology = travel trailer.

I think beemerphile1 has something here and I agree with him!

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
tag along is anything you 'tag' along behind you ๐Ÿ™‚
TT to something small to whatever you pull
bad term, no

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
Mcamper wrote:
nadkaw1957 wrote:
In the late 70's, I was the plumber (gas, water, waste) on the Go-Tag-A-Long production line. Sales were starting to slump and, as people were laid off, I was taking part in every facet of building. They introduced truck campers to the line in an effort to increase sales, but a couple of years after I left, they were out of business. For the times, they weren't a bad trailer, but I think they just didn't progress they way they needed to, to stay in business.

Nadkaw1957, where were the Go Tag Along trailers made? Do you have any old pictures that you can show, or send to me? Were they distributed all over the USA or just a certain part?

They were built in a little no-stoplight town called Washingtonville, Ohio. It's just south of Youngstown and halfway between Salem and Columbiana (where I grew up). Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures. I've found a few pictures online by digging deep, but they are few and far between. I don't know what their sales area was; I was 20 or 21 at the time and wasn't in the sales loop at all. I seem to remember a driver talking about Washington one time, but I don't know if he actually delivered that far away.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
nadkaw1957 wrote:
In the late 70's, I was the plumber (gas, water, waste) on the Go-Tag-A-Long production line. Sales were starting to slump and, as people were laid off, I was taking part in every facet of building. They introduced truck campers to the line in an effort to increase sales, but a couple of years after I left, they were out of business. For the times, they weren't a bad trailer, but I think they just didn't progress they way they needed to, to stay in business.

Nadkaw1957, where were the Go Tag Along trailers made? Do you have any old pictures that you can show, or send to me? Were they distributed all over the USA or just a certain part?

Mcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Generically, tag along trailers are typically smaller camper or utility trailers that are hitched to smaller cars and often motorcycles with a simple ball hitch. They usually don't require brakes or any sort of load leveling or anti-sway hitch. The term is not derogatory in any way that I'm aware of. Harbor Freight as I recall, uses the "Tag-Along" brand name on some of their small trailers.

A typical tag along trailer that could be towed by either a small car or a motorcycle:

I can see this being called a tag along. I guess the post by fla-gypsy makes sense too. There used to be a company by this name, but it seems to have been well before I was born. I guess some people call all RVs "campers" and I can deal with that. I think it is a bit crazy to call a 5th wheel or travel trailer a tag along. This has to be one of those old timers jargon things.

I guess it does not matter what you call them. The main thing is having fun.

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
There was a company called "Go Tag Along" at one time. Some of the Tag Along trailers are still in service. When I hear the term I think of small vintage trailers.

2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
dave54 wrote:
Unemployed brother in law that insists on going with you?
That would NEVER happen with with us, as while I do have a number of BIL's, there is only one that I like enough to even consider camping with us, & he is very well employed. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my DIY tag along.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
MC tag along.

Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)