cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taijgate won't open

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
When hooked up to my TT, the tailgate on my 20113 GMC 2500HD won't clear the power tongue lift which is a pain in the rear when I want to unload anything from the truck without unhooking the trailer. Doesn't look like I can move the tongue lift any farther back so the only alternative will be to lengthen the hitch. It looks like I would have to completely modify the hitch in order to a gain a few inches. I also thought maybe a longer receiver so it sticks out farther. I haven't called any hitch places yet so maybe there are easy solutions that I'm not aware of.
26 REPLIES 26

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
I use an equalizer hitch, although I'm not so sure I really need it. This truck is pretty level even with out using the bars.
I like the idea of rotating the power jack 45 degrees, I'll try that before I do anything.

Check for set screws around the power head. I had to rotate my old jack for clearance.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
wow that jack E Up is some kind of device. only problem is you need a hand crank jack, it doesn't show using an electric jack.

That does seem like a neat device. I can't see why it wouldn't work with an electric jack. The main thing is you'd have to use some kind of weather tight plug to detach the wiring when removing the jack. Not a big deal, just something you'd have to do.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
wow that jack E Up is some kind of device. only problem is you need a hand crank jack, it doesn't show using an electric jack.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use an equalizer hitch, although I'm not so sure I really need it. This truck is pretty level even with out using the bars.
I like the idea of rotating the power jack 45 degrees, I'll try that before I do anything.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
If you only need a few inches you can get a ball mount that is a few inches longer and is rated for more than your trailers weight.

here are some
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Without knowing exactly what you have, and how much distance you need, it will be difficult to make a recommendation.

Going by the fact that you have a powered jack on your trailer, you must have a weight distributing hitch. Extended shanks are available for weight distributing hitches.

The hitch extensions used by most truck campers are overkill as far as distance. You only need a couple of inches, where most truck camper extensions add 18"-48" to the length.

Most of the hitch extensions sold by etrailer.com are limited to 3500lbs of trailer capacity so they will not work for your application.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of folks with truck campers just use a hitch extension to clear the rear of the truck camper when towing trailers. I would check out etrailers.com to see what they offer.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make different type of tailgates with opening in them that might clear your TT trailer jack...

Something like the 5th wheel trailer hookup is using...

Google image

In my case however I use my covered and locked truck bed for alot of other items I need to use on my trips. I need a full tail gate for security reasons..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Jack E Up
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you rotate the head on the jack for more clearance?

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried rotating your jack? Usually its the plastic shell of the jack that is in the way, and it you rotate it you can gain a couple inches.

I wouldn't recommend drilling more holes in your existing hitch bar. I'd look at purchasing a new one with a longer shank. Just be forewarned that a longer shank will cause more force to be applied to your receiver. Just something to consider if you are at or near the max rating of your receiver.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Can you drill new hole in the shaft that goes into the receiver??
If so, don't bring the shaft out TOO far.
A welding shop can fix the problem!!
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co