cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taking elderly in-laws (86 & 88 ) on 500 mile trip.

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to take my elderly in-laws to North Carolina to see relatives the only issue is my father in law has had two stokes .
Has anyone done camping trips with a stoke victim. Father in law has some walking issues and other issues that come with a major stroke. Im trying to figure out if I need to take anything special for him and her.
My plan is to travel about 250 miles each day
13 REPLIES 13

bigdogger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be sure you are doing this trip for them, not for you. If they want to go, it will probably be OK. If you conjoled them into this trip, it will likely end up in disaster.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
We used to take my mother for an all day, 400 mile trip to visit friends and relatives. She did well, needed some extra pain meds, but loved it. However, on the last trip she undid her seatbelt and we glanced in the rear view mirror to see her toddling to the bathroom @ 70 mph! We said *nothing* crossed our fingers and she made it, TG. After that, I rode back there with her. She died in 2011 at age 93.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Nearly two years ago, I took my parents in their small Class C on trip to visit my moms relatives (about 1200 miles round trip) At the time, my dad was 88 and mom was 76. I researched locations to stay along the route picking several options at different spots depending on when they got tired.

Our trip plans were changed when Dad got sick and had to spend several days in the hospital. Calling 911 in Louisiana works the same as calling 911 in GA, they even came right to the door of the MH I think they let Dad out of the hospital when they did because they knew he would be in MH traveling home rather than in a chair.

Although the trip didn't turn out exactly like we planned (we ended up skipping New Orleans and Grand Isle), it was worth every bit of the stress of planning and being in close quarters with my parents who I haven't lived with in over 35 years. At least once a month, my dad talks about how much he appreciated me going and my mom talks about how glad she was to get to see some of her family before all her cousins she was once very close to are gone.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
My father was in his mid 80s when he went with us in the MH and my mother was over 90 when she was still going with us. We usually travel until we get a little tired and then find a spot for the night. We don't do well with schedules of so many miles. One time it took us 5 days from NE Detroit to Atlanta, GA. Another time we made it in one day.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I took two octogenarians on a 500 mile trip in one day in a car I will never do that again. You must have the patience of a Biblical Job!

Hey, watch your mouth you young whipper snapper. LOL
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! That sounds ambitious. Are they up to driving 6 hours/day for 2 days straight? I would certainly plan on stopping frequently. A lot of men need to "go" frequently at that age. Besides, they need to get out of the car and walk around every 2hrs to prevent deep vein thrombosis(blood clots.)
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I took two octogenarians on a 500 mile trip in one day in a car I will never do that again. You must have the patience of a Biblical Job!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Does he use a walker? Will he need a wheelchair? Can he take a shower?
If you don't have one already, I would invest in one of those sturdy folding steps for the RV from Camping World. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aluminum-folding-step/38293 It adds stability and traction getting in and out.
I would be sure to stop in RV parks with flat, level, paved parking pads if he is going to get out when you stop for the night. What a great gift you are giving them. God Bless.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
So cool of you. They are very lucky that you are the person you are... So very cool!!! Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I can't answer regarding things a stroke victim may need, but God bless you for taking the in-laws on the trip. It may be an inconvenience for you but they will enjoy it very much. I took my mother on an extended trip to visit our to children. Our trip was a little over 500 miles but we could travel one day and be at our daughters, and another day to be at our son's then another day back home. Of course we stayed at each stop a few days so it wasn't too tiring. She never forgot this trip. Just sorry we didn't do it when my father was alive too.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
do the trip in one longer day. the old codgers can sleep most of the trip anyway. 250 miles 5 hrs or less is too few IMHO.
bumpy

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
moose888 wrote:
We are going to take my elderly in-laws to North Carolina to see relatives the only issue is my father in law has had two stokes .
Has anyone done camping trips with a stoke victim. Father in law has some walking issues and other issues that come with a major stroke. Im trying to figure out if I need to take anything special for him and her.
My plan is to travel about 250 miles each day

As a minor stroke survivor, I would watch his stamina closely. The stroke seemed to reduce mine quite a bit. Sometimes I need to nap to allow my mind to "reset." He will have some good days and some bad.

Don't bug him with "How do you feel?" questions. Just watch for signs of fatigue.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
just make sure he doesn't wander off and get lost. if you can, put his name and your name and cell phone number in his pocket each day... for just in case.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.