cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tank Oder

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
I need some advice. We purchased a new travel trailer in Dec 2016. We bought this trailer to live in as our home is being remodeled. We are using the black and grey tanks in the trailer. After about 2 months of living in the trailer, we have noticed a smell coming from the bathroom area, especially when flushing the toilet. I have been treating the tanks in the new camper just as I did in our old camper and I never noticed a smell in the old one. I have told my family that they are allowed to use the toilet in the trailer for #1 (small business) but that they needed to go in the house for #2 (big business).

Anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong? The tanks are not full. I have dumped the black and grey tanks once, and I used the grey to flush as usual. I read about a cyclone vent that you place on top of the camper exhaust pipe, but I am wondering if it is something simple that I am overlooking. Thank you for any advice.
15 REPLIES 15

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Have found that a huge amount of black tank odors are not black tank odors. Run three to four cups of water down every drain in the RV. Water in the P traps will evaporate and let the odor from the gray tank up in the RV.

The few times I have had tank odors in our TT it's been the galley grey tank. Never thought about the water in the p traps evaporating but that makes sense. If we have the odor, it usually goes away in the first hour or so of using the TT (IE: running the water).
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Have found that a huge amount of black tank odors are not black tank odors. Run three to four cups of water down every drain in the RV. Water in the P traps will evaporate and let the odor from the gray tank up in the RV.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
jorge3000 wrote:
It now will be on schedule to dump every week as long as we are living in it.

Glad you conquered the odors!

However, do not dump the black tank every week unless it's at least 3/4 full. If it's not, then fill it with water until it is and then dump it. If it doesn't have enough liquid in it when you dump, the small amount of liquid will trickle out leaving behind the solids. That's not want you want! Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the advice. This is what I have learned. I was mistaken in thinking that the tanks were like a septic system....nope, just a holding spot. I also learned that the smell was from not dumping weekly t every week and a half....since it just sits there, it brews. I also have learned that the chemicals are for helping with smells for up to 2 weeks at a time...MAX. And I have learned how to flush my tanks!

I drained everything last night and flushed out the tank about 3 times and then set it back up with fresh chemical. That took care of all the smells! It now will be on schedule to dump every week as long as we are living in it.

Thank you for all the advice and educating me on how the tanks work and how to care for them!

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
The waste system is sealed except for the roof vents.
If you have any odor that isn't getting into the RV from the roof vent or out of the toilet when you flush with an exhaust fan running, you have a problem that needs to be addressed.
You should have water in all of your traps and the toilet bowl.
The air admittance valves under the sinks must be working properly.
The air admittance valve is screwed onto a stub on the sewer side of the sink trap. Usually it can be unscrewed by hand. Replacements can be found in hardware stores. The gray water odor from a faulty admittance valve can be as bad or worse than the black tank.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a wand that you connect to a garden hose to "wash" out the black tank we do it once a month

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
jorge3000 wrote:
Dutchman, no, we have kept the black valve and grey valves closed. We have only needed to dump it 1 times in the past 2 months and then it said it was only half full. I thought the chemicals and vent were suppose to control odors? It should just be liquid waaste with water in the tanks.

RV tanks are meant to be sloshed around... depending on how the chemicals you are putting in the tank are designed to work... they might not be "deployed".

Flush the tank with a lot of water. Dump in a bottle of fabric softener mixed with hot water. It will probably smell really good. The fabric softener won't harm a thing. Might make the tank slippery so things don't stick to the sides as much.

We sit still for months at a time. When the outside temps rise... we have to dump more often. The longer you wait between emptying the tank, the higher the stink level.
Kathy

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a bathroom vent fan on? That will draw in odors. Check your vent pipe on the roof. Fill your black with water a couple times and dump. Hard to believe that you've only dumped the tank once in 2 months. Are you not using a lot of water when you dump?

Even with just water you shouldn't be getting odors.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also live full-time in our rv and have a 45 gallon black tank. With just us 2, we dump it (and it's full) about every 10 days. We use plenty of water when we flush, use no chemicals and have no odor. You should not be dumping the tank until it's 2/3 or more full as you need enough liquids to carry the solids out. If not, you are leaving the solids sitting in the bottom of the tank. The indicators are notorious for being inaccurate. Your black tank will start making gurgly and belchy noises just before it's totally full. We take showers daily, so always have some grey water to dump rinsing the hose. I would try filling the tank (hose into the toilet will work. With the flapper open, you will be able to hear/see when it's approaching full) and then dump that full tank. Afterwards - at least 1/2 bowl of water with each flush, and preferably a little more if there are any solids.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Before the #2 (big business) rule, were you using plenty of water when flushing, or did you dictate less water use in order to save you from dumping so often?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jorge3000
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman, no, we have kept the black valve and grey valves closed. We have only needed to dump it 1 times in the past 2 months and then it said it was only half full. I thought the chemicals and vent were suppose to control odors? It should just be liquid waaste with water in the tanks.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I think the idea behind the cyclones is that if there is ANY breeze outside, when you go to flush, the cyclone will cause a downward draw into the toilet, hopefully stopping any stink coming out as you flush.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you've been living in the camper for 2 months and flushed the black tank only once... well... there is your smell. Fill it with water, and flush the black tank. That's probably all it needs.

Have you been leaving the black valve open all this time?

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Odors while flushing aren't unusual, after all, it is a straight shot to the black tank when the toilet is being flushed.

Odors when not flushing indicate a plumbing problem. It could be the air admittance valve under the sink or a bad seal at the base of the toilet.

Don't waste your money on the add on Cyclone vents and the like, they do not work because they cannot suck fumes from a closed tank, simple physics.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900