cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ten year old MHs

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
In another posting recently, someone was worried about buying a used MH because it would become ten years old in a couple of years. They didn't want to refused admittance to RV parks when it became ten years old.

Has any of the forum members been turned away from an RV park when their RV turned ten years old?

Has anyone ever been turned away in an RV considerably older than ten years? 12, 15, 18 years old?

The rules may be there, but has it really happened to anyone?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
28 REPLIES 28

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Several times I have gotten to my campsite and, while reading the list of rules, discovered that they have the ten year rule.

Note the age of my rig!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Escargot wrote:
In conclusion...
That "rule" just gives the managers the option of turning people / rigs away if they are so rundown that they will cause liability issues, complaints from customers, or give the campground / resort a bad reputation.
As long as the rig is presentable, there shouldn't be any rejections.

Bingo!

And there ya have it Lazy Bill..;)

~

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention; the only time we've had the question about age was years ago when the wife called to inquire about a private campground in Palm Springs. Our trailer was about a year old at the time, we were new to RV'ing and were surprised by the question. We normally stay at state campgrounds where you see a bit of everything.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
lawtonglenn wrote:
D & M wrote:
Rarely. But it is always a good topic to toss out to stir up the pot when a Walmart or dog owner post just won't do.

Dave... how did you get to Iowa without going through Wisconsin or Illinois?

I only put stickers in the places we actually camped
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
All they have to do is look at the license plate, and they will know (assuming they know anything about Montana license plates!) that the rig is 11 years old or older. It has PERMANENT license tabs, which are only available for motor vehicles 11 years old or older.
If the Rv park management questions the age of the rig, well, y'know, one of the benefits of being on wheels is I can get on down the road real quick!
And I will.
I have never had the question asked. Not in Montana, Wyoming, or Idaho, and not in any RV park from Montana to Georgia and back.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Phil___Stephie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Dutch Star, if anyone objects I'll tell them it's a 2005, how would they know unless they could recognize the difference in Newmar products over the years?

Phil & Stephanie Grey

"Partners In Life"
2016 Allegro 36LA
2007 Chevy HHR
Yorkies; Paisley Marie & Opie Taylor

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
BUY YOUR 10 YEAR OLD MOTORHOME AND GO CAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, this "10-year old rule" is an invention of "private" campgrounds. We've probably stayed at 2 private campgrounds in the last 10 years. Lots of places to camp and don't get scared off by some mythical rule.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I have been asked what year my RV was exactly once at check-in in many years of traveling and camping. And that once was in 2005 when we were driving a 1985 Toyota based Dolphin Class C, and were asked only because the clerk's sister had one very similar and he wondered if ours was the same year. Our current coach is 13 years old, and it's predecessor is 19 years old.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
WE have a 15 year old MH, does not look it, now that we are looking after it. Now we have only had it a short time. But each time I make a reservation, I have only had to tell them that I have a 36' MH and I am towing something, so they know how many vehicles on the site. No one so far has asked me the year of my MH.
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I took my 14 year old RV into a 55 and older park in Mesa AZ the first week of June 2008. I stayed until December, with my car, a work truck and I was only 43 at the time.

The owner is VERY picky about who he lets stay in his apartments, and I offered to repair one of the air conditioners as I pulled in. We still talk to each other, and he asks questions about air conditioners from time to time, and has avoided calling a mechanic a few times now. . . He is picky about his apartments because even being a 'little' picky, he still has to spend more than 30 hours cleaning and restoring the apartments back to livable place each time. However in summer, he is very happy to fill any of his open RV sites, and does not bring in enough income to cover expenses each summer.

Yes it is a tool to keep out poor looking RV's. However it does not always work. One owner of a 1984 Bluebird was sent home one weekend, and bought the RV park the next week, returning with his 'own' rules!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Called to cancel a reservation with Ventura Beach RV Resort because the e mail confirmation disclosed an age restriction but was assured that it was an old policy and I would be welcome too stay and we were welcomed and had a good stay.
At Napa Valley Expo they had no age restriction however one of the rudest camp host we have ever dealt with decided to impose one on his own and originally would not honor our reservation but was finally allowed to stay.
Just saw a RV resort can not remember the name and one side has age restriction and one side does not.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
100ton wrote:
When they
ask you how old your RV is, ask them how old their RV Park is. Makes for some
interesting conversations.

LOL, good one!

Or next time I will say "I'm" over 5 time their rule. I'm wrinkled, I'm bashed up, my black tank does not hold ask good as it used to. :B Does that count?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
As others have posted, the ten year factor is just a tool selectively
enforced. My 5th wheel is nine years old, so I will be "joining the club" in the
near future. The right side of my trailer looks it's age, or a little younger in
my opinion. The left side ( the side exposed to the sun while in storage) is
looking much older, fading finish and decals fading, cracking and etc.
The inside is like new or even better, with the improvements I have added over the
years.
I wonder how the resort/park handles the situation when the RV is say
five years old but looks twenty-five years old. Hmmmmmmm.
If you want to have some fun when making resevations, try this: When they
ask you how old your RV is, ask them how old their RV Park is. Makes for some
interesting conversations. 🙂

See you out there,
Robert, Huntington Beach, California
On edit: please forgive the spacing of the text, I didn't write it this way.
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
D & M wrote:
Rarely. But it is always a good topic to toss out to stir up the pot when a Walmart or dog owner post just won't do.

Now that's Funny!!!

Seriously, I have never been turned away in my 1995 American Dream that I had for 11 years. I reserved a new site next winter with my signature motorhome and just told them it was a 2006. That saved any hassle of questions or rules in place. I've never heard of anyone having to show a current registration to prove the year of the coach.

OH OH, I got fussed at recently for suggesting subtracting 9 years from current date and use that as the age of your RV.
bumpy