cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This is our TT, what the heck can tow it??

jlfought
Explorer
Explorer
So I did my research before we bought a trailer to be sure we would get a trailer that was towable. Then after purchasing a 30ft trailer we found out we were expecting our 6th child! Our 2 bunk trailer we just bought would be just impossible with a toddler, a baby and a special needs child( along with 3 other kiddos). We had to go bigger which totally screwed all my calculations as to what could tow the TT.

I have been trying to go back and refigure but pregnancy brain is too strong and I can't figure it all up like I did last time! HELP!

We are looking at 1 ton 15 passenger vans(maybe 12 passenger??). 350/3500 series

And before I even put it on here, I know, I know- our trailer is a monster-Salem 36BHBS. Gulp. Did I mention that we will be full timing it for a year across the country as soon as our house sells?? Yep-we are crazy. So let's just state that as fact now and get it out of the way lol Now we just need to move forward ๐Ÿ˜‰

Here are our #'s that I have figured out:

TT GVWR:10880
TT Dry: 7990
Weight we need at hitch: 1415
Weight of driver and passengers:710 lbs

We don't plan on having any added cargo in the van but I have been throwing in an extra 100 pounds just in case and 100 pounds for hitch weight.

I need to work backwards and figure out what we need to have in a vehicle for sure. We've been looking at some older models of vans but not sure some are up the challenge.

We will be getting a WDS when we get our new TV. So I know we need that.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

( we currently borrow a 1 ton truck from my husband's uncle to take the trailer out on weekends every now and then.)

~Jen
26 REPLIES 26

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I kind of like Horny Mikes bus. Maybe you can swing a deal with him? :B

Other than that a 3500 Duramax van would work. Big bucks though. :E

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jlfought
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
You need a Ford E350 with the v10. payload is over 3,000 pounds. GCWR with 4.10 gears is 18,500. You will need to upgrade to a class 5 receiver however, since the stock is only a class 4. A diesel would work too but those come with additional maintenance headaches, and it's quite a bit less powerful than the v10.

The Chevy Express will have enoug payload but not enough GCWR.

So I found a 1997 Ford E-350 Extended wagon V-10 4.10. If we upgrade to the class V receiver it will work for us? I found just one site that had tow info on it for the model and it has it listed as a 10,000 lb tow capacity and 5590 curb weight. Those were the only figures I found for it.

Thanks so much for the info too!!

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Let me see... That van was 6 vehicles ago, when all 6 of my kids were still at home and none of them could drive yet. I believe it was a 2500. I should have had an extra tow package put on it, but never got around to it. The head expanded and antifreeze got into the block . The lower bearings were replaced in hopes of saving or fixing the problem, but alas the uppers were bad too and it would have been just as much to replace the uppers as it would have been to replace the entire engine. We rode her for another year until the engine just bought the farm. Replaced it with a Suburban... The suburban has almost 200,000 miles now. Great tow vehicle.

blt2ski
One, at this time today your family of 7-8 is 710 lbs......I'm laughing here........wait a few years, you will be like me, a family of 6 when my 4 were adult sized kids at 1200-1300 lbs betweenus. I can see at least this number for the family add in 1200-1500 lbs of hitch at.....as mentioned, a DUAL tired passenger van/bus will be my first choice. There is NOT an SUV or as van that will truly have the pay load for your total needs.

Have phun with the kiddo's!!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Captain_Obvious
Explorer
Explorer
Wagonqueen Truckster wrote:
Please take it from me. We had a Chevy Express a few years back (brand new) we towed a 29 foot ultra light Terry. Can not remember how much it weighed. Regardless the Express Didn't even make it to 60,000 miles before the van died. Mechanic said it was from towing. The engine literally blew up. It was only 5 years old. Just my own personal experience with a large passenger van. They just don,t seem like good tow vehicles.

There are lots of engine & drivetrain choices available, and some are more powerful than others. If you were towing a 30ft trailer with the 4.8L V8 in a Express 1500 (half-ton with small engine), then yeah, no surprise it blew up. I have a much harder time believing that an Express 3500 (one-ton) with a 6.0L engine blew up because of towing.

Many times the same engines/transmissions from the trucks are derated when used in the vans.

Do you remember what engine you had? 1500/2500/3500? I'm curious since you mentioned it died an early death.

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
What about a small bus? Like the ones that day cares use. you can get it with diesel and I know that they will hold your family.. Just a thought..
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
jlfought wrote:
Then after purchasing a 30ft trailer we found out we were expecting our 6th child! Our 2 bunk trailer we just bought would be just impossible with a toddler, a baby and a special needs child( along with 3 other kiddos).
~Jen

Well, first let me offer my congratulations (I think!!) I know that traveling with 2 kids can be troublesome, but we do have a blast. We have traveled all over the east coast and seen and done lots of things.

We spend over 100 days per year each and every year in our RV and space can become an issue after a couple of months. Make sure you have plenty or make plenty on the outside using tents, hammocks, craft areas, etc. They will be invaluable when anyone just needs a place to get away.

I hope you find a vehicle that suits your needs.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

gme3470
Explorer
Explorer
I second the suggestion to consider an Excursion. They were built on the F250 running gear and are a good tow rig. If you can find a 7.3l diesel(early 2003 was the last year for that engine) it has about 100ft lbs more torque than the V10 of the same year.
2022 F350
Nash 25C

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Please take it from me. We had a Chevy Express a few years back (brand new) we towed a 29 foot ultra light Terry. Can not remember how much it weighed. Regardless the Express Didn't even make it to 60,000 miles before the van died. Mechanic said it was from towing. The engine literally blew up. It was only 5 years old. Just my own personal experience with a large passenger van. They just don,t seem like good tow vehicles.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking used look at the Excursion (V10 or diesel)
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
You need a Ford E350 with the v10. payload is over 3,000 pounds. GCWR with 4.10 gears is 18,500. You will need to upgrade to a class 5 receiver however, since the stock is only a class 4. A diesel would work too but those come with additional maintenance headaches, and it's quite a bit less powerful than the v10.

The Chevy Express will have enoug payload but not enough GCWR.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
A new 1 ton passenger van but payload may still be an issue
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)