cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire monitor system question

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at getting the TST system and know they recommend metal valve stems but wondering how many have not changed to metal stems and any problems using the ones that came on there.
It came with nitrogen in the tires and I hate to change that out if I don't have to.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
23 REPLIES 23

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm, that sounds like a pretty cool idea.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I got a piece of thin plastic pipe that fits over the rubber valve stem, cut it to size to allow the sending unit to screw fully on the valve stem, modified the bottom of the plastic pipe with a Drimel to fit the curve of my wheel, and placed it over the rubber valve stem. It keeps the PressurePro sender from flexing the stem, thus making it "act" like a steel valve stem.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
GMandJM wrote:
We've used our TST TPMS monitors on the rubber valve stems of our TT, our Exploder and our Honda Civic Hybrid. No problems.

The only trouble we had was at first when we used them on the metal valve stems of our MH. Go figure.

Keep a good eye on your rubber stems. I've got the TST 507 system and the rubber stems would flex so much the sensors hit the wheels as I noted in my post above. Check for these marks on your wheels. Some might use them forever with rubber stems but one of mine cracked and that was enough for me.

Thanks for the head up on that. I just went out and checked the tires on the truck. No marks. I'll check the Honda if/when we get back to Virginia. We interchange the same monitors between the truck, car and TT.

If the stem cracks, the TPMS monitor should let me know I'm losing air pressure.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:
We've used our TST TPMS monitors on the rubber valve stems of our TT, our Exploder and our Honda Civic Hybrid. No problems.

The only trouble we had was at first when we used them on the metal valve stems of our MH. Go figure.

Keep a good eye on your rubber stems. I've got the TST 507 system and the rubber stems would flex so much the sensors hit the wheels as I noted in my post above. Check for these marks on your wheels. Some might use them forever with rubber stems but one of mine cracked and that was enough for me.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
DannyA wrote:
Looking at getting the TST system and know they recommend metal valve stems but wondering how many have not changed to metal stems and any problems using the ones that came on there.
It came with nitrogen in the tires and I hate to change that out if I don't have to.

I strongly recommend metal valve stems if you have the external sensors like TST or other brands. Yes, they will work with rubber stems, I ran them for almost a year after calling TST and hearing that they would work with rubber stems. What I found is the the sensors flop back and forth and hit the wheels leaving visible marks. I changed all of my stems over to steel after one of them failed eventually (cracked). The sensors will eventually crack the rubber stems IMO.

As to the nitrogen, my new Windjammer in my sig came with nitrogen (supposedly according to the sticker on the trailer) but that stuff is long gone. I guess it has some value, but I don't consider nitrogen an expense I want to incur.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer

G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
DannyA wrote:

I did not change mine, however I think it depends on the valve stem. My valve stem is recessed into the aluminum wheel and when I put the sensors on the stem it barely moves. It the valve stem sticks out a bit you may end up with problems.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends on your comfort level. I would put on the metal valve stems and use the 80% nitrogen mix.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You can use the OEM valve stems until they get old and leak then replace with metal. Nitrogen in the tires has been discussed in this Forum.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)