cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To regulate or not to regulate?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for responding to this post, I have the answers to my questions and truly appreciate your civility and your thoughts, I will no longer be following the thread as I am satisfied with you responses. Thanks again for responding. David

Over the years there have been innumerable posts and discussions on the lack of preparedness of new RV owners in handling their rigs. Should there be performance tests or not and should driving an RV require a special operators license or not. There have been discussions about who should be responsible for training and licensing. So with the understanding that this is a delicate hot button question and there is a wide range of feelings and beliefs, should there be special written and performance tests for RV owners. If so, should the test be for all RVs or just for the โ€œBig Guysโ€. Should the training be done by manufacturers or dealers, or from a for profit school or can it be self taught with performance tests by a governmental agency(DMV).

This is not a troll and I have the feeling that I should make the questions more exact and usable in framing so that there is quantifiable information gained. So here are my questions for the community;

1. Should the community have uniform training and performance testing in order to operate a RV on public roadways?

2. Should there be size and weight categories or applied to all owners regardless of size and weight?.

3. Should training be performed by a special entity and/or self taught based on specific criteria?

4. Should any or all of the above be age related?

5. Are current regulations adequate?

I am not sure what could be done with the results, Iโ€™m just wondering what the community thinks about being regulated. The questions are basic and exhaustive replies arenโ€™t requested or needed, just K.I.S.S. Too much detail would make analysis of the answers very difficult, I donโ€™t want to write a set of rules and regulations, Iโ€™m just interested in the communities viewpoint.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
39 REPLIES 39

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Should there be performance tests or not and should driving an RV require a special operators license or not.

That would put a dent in YouTube content for sure ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, the biggest eye opener for me was when my kids took driver's ed 10 years ago and they told me that there was NO highway time included in the instruction, only local roads.

Let's spend our time, energy and money teaching regular folks to drive their Camrys better before we dote on the small % of the population that own RVs.

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
I find it hard to believe the at government regulation is the answer.... where will it stop? Should I need government-sanctioned training to rent a 35' U-haul?

We already have regulations (similar to what you list) for getting a driver's license, and there were still +5M crashes and +37K deaths in the USA last year.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does surprise me when it comes to TTs is that nobody explains when to use a WDH and how to correctly set one up - not the TT manufacturer, the RV dealer, the motor vehicle authorities or even the insurance companies. Similar with the limitations on ST tires. Seems more often than not when you hear about RV accidents, it involves TTs.

Sad truth is when anyone passes their driver's licence exams, you can throw away all the rules you were taught and are required to obey and drive however you want and the cops will rarely stop you (except for maybe speeding). Would regulations covering RVs be any different??

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the ends of the political spectrum believes that regulation is the answer to everything. The other end of the political spectrum believes that the only problems in this country are caused by regulation. The answer, as usual, falls somewhere in the middle. The solution is to create regulations when, and only when, there is a defined problem that needs to be addressed. If you are not addressing a specific problem, then you are creating a different problem.

In the OP, I fail to see a specific problem that needs addressing.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Too many idiots on the road driving small cars. Apparently, drivers education did nothing for them. What makes you think education and standardization will do anything for the RV driver? When YOU start driving the speed limit everywhere, THEN you can ask your questions, because it's quite obvious drivers education did nothing for you either if you drive over the speed limit and think it's perfectly OK, no matter how you attempt to rationalize it in your head.

No. Government interference and control over any part of our lives is never good. But unfortunately, that is sometimes the ONLY way to make people act civil!

When you drive the speed limit and never go over it any more, THEN you can lobby for standardized training and licensing. If not, YOU better be the first one to sign up for the class.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a boss I had used to say, โ€œwhat problem are we trying to solve?โ€ More regulation is a (poor) solution looking for a problem.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I'm going to to with "No" to all the above with one small possible exception; I think an air brake endorsement for those vehicles so equipped would be a good idea.
Those not familiar with them often don't realize they shouldn't be used just like "normal" brakes and some knowledge of their maint. requirements is needed to keep them safe.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Contrary to what they think in California, the government cannot save you from every potential threat. Just because you pass some test doesn't mean everything is hunky dory. Anyone with a driver's license has passed a driving test, yet there are thousands of accidents every day. Just because you pass some test about towing a trailer or driving a motorhome doesn't mean you will handle an emergency situation correctly. Nothing in that test that you passed in July will force you to use common sense and not drive the rig during a blizzard in January. That test won't keep you from paying more attention to the phone/children/Ipad/scenery than you do to the traffic and road conditions.
NO, we don't need the government sticking their nose any further up our backsides.

^^^^^ BOOM! Nailed it!

When I see stats that tell me RV'ers are more of a danger on the road than general class C drivers I will change my mind. Until then...โ€ฆ..
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Contrary to what they think in California, the government cannot save you from every potential threat. Just because you pass some test doesn't mean everything is hunky dory. Anyone with a driver's license has passed a driving test, yet there are thousands of accidents every day. Just because you pass some test about towing a trailer or driving a motorhome doesn't mean you will handle an emergency situation correctly. Nothing in that test that you passed in July will force you to use common sense and not drive the rig during a blizzard in January. That test won't keep you from paying more attention to the phone/children/Ipad/scenery than you do to the traffic and road conditions.
NO, we don't need the government sticking their nose any further up our backsides.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Perhaps another question to add is do we as tax payers wan't to pay for these extra things.