cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To stock or do not stock

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
We keep our rv stocked with everything we may need so we can leave at a moments notice. Perishables we put in just prior to leaving. Living in hurricane country this becomes our back up plan. I have a check list for each area. All food stuffs are noted with expiration dates plus we rotate items into the stick and brick so that camper stuff is always good to go.....We have friends who never keep anything in their camper and go shop when they get to the campsite. We camp it may be an hours drive to a store. Just too much work if you ask me....
34 REPLIES 34

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
ZERO food products stocked/left in MH.

One for the obvious reason of attracting rodents and two the temps in a closed RV can skyrocket. IMHO certainly not safe for ANY packaged food product. Even can goods can go bad left in those temps.

Well rodents can get in while camping also. Sealed containers solve most of that issue and not providing pathways in like an attached power cord.

Heat unless you live in the desert with vents open not going to be an oven.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
In garage: grab chainsaw, generator, gas can, and go.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my camper stocked and dedicated tow vehicle ready. Both can be hooked up and gtfo.
I even keep the unit prepped for winter shtf scenarios. Cold weather survival gear and provisions.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
ZERO food products stocked/left in MH.

One for the obvious reason of attracting rodents and two the temps in a closed RV can skyrocket. IMHO certainly not safe for ANY packaged food product. Even can goods can go bad left in those temps.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:
"To stock or do not stock"?

Personal choice.

Whatever rings *your* chimes is the correct plan..:C

That statement is 100% correct, BUT many on this forum state that they don't go out more often as it is too much work, or takes too long to pack! :S

To these people I say give it some thought. If you keep it stocked, propane full, non perishable food, several changes of cloths, and most toiletries all you need to go is an excuse!!

We are also amazed at those that need to have the RV home for a week to get ready, our 5er has not been to the house for three years! If you keep it stocked, and repack the week after the last trip, you are ready for the next trip!! We are lucky that our Storage yard is about 2 miles away.
The other plus to not bring it home is our dogs don't get whacked out knowing we are going! They now get about 20 minutes warning, when I bring in the food tote, and haul down their bed!!
All cleaning is done the morning we break camp, so the 5er gets put away clean and ready for the next trip.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
"To stock or do not stock"?

Personal choice.

Whatever rings *your* chimes is the correct plan..:C

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
We used our fiver as a lifeboat when we lived in hurricane country. We now use it as a lifeboat in event of severe winter weather. The Jayco has propane heat, 3600 watts of generator power, and will be home if our all electric home loses power for days in event of an ice storm or a tornado affecting the area. Keep the rig stocked with non-perisables and rotate stock often. It can be a life saver.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Clothing and bedding stay in the hybrid year round Food and toiletries are loaded in the spring and removed before winter. Generator and gear box are ready in the shed.

Push come to shove I figure we could be on the road in about 3 hours. If I was willing to leave my wife behind about 45 minutes!

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I keep it stocked. It's hard to do in MN because of the cold temps but, I keep my TT in a shed on my farm and leave a electric space heater in it turned on all winter.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

L2R
Explorer
Explorer
My goal is to make the rv stocked as much as possible, even toiletries and meds. When I am about out of something, I go to the store and make a pit stop at the rv to fifo (first in, first out) and carry what was in the RV to the house.

If I really run out of something, I have a spare in the RV. Not totally stocked yet but working on it.

Canned foods and cooking basics are there and rotating them to some degree.

My goal is to be able to grab the keys and leave. Sounds like a common goal.
Just checked our bank account, we can retire today if I stop spending money now.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
We keep our rv stocked with everything we may need so we can leave at a moments notice. Perishables we put in just prior to leaving. Living in hurricane country this becomes our back up plan. I have a check list for each area. All food stuffs are noted with expiration dates plus we rotate items into the stick and brick so that camper stuff is always good to go.....We have friends who never keep anything in their camper and go shop when they get to the campsite. We camp it may be an hours drive to a store. Just too much work if you ask me....

We do what you do. Trailer's always stocked, then re-stocked when we get back.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the reasons I like having an RV is so I don't have to find a place to store a bunch of camping gear. Everything has it's place in the RV and stays there year round.

The only things I have to load last minute are: perishables, camera gear, backpack (with wallet, meds, cell, etc.), the dogs, the bird, and me. That takes less than 15 minutes.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
During "the season" the 5er is normally stocked better than the sticks and bricks. The goal is to grab some cloths, meds, perishables and be gone. Actually if I have cream for my coffee and some breakfast, the perishables can wait until Walmart (near CG) the next day. We keep some "back up" clothes in the camper as well as jackets and camping shoes. My memory stinks, so the camper is basically set up as a 2nd house.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Part of the consideration is how easily accessible the rig is. My TT is stashed quite a ways from the Austin city limits, so access to it tends to be limited. In there, I keep some nonperishable items, some water bottles, a change of clothes or two, and bedding.

Once I jump to a "B", and it is ready in the driveway, that makes it a lot easier to move food between it and the house. Some non-perishable reserve food (and water) goes without saying. However, having some refrigerated foods (frozen dinners) is always useful. This way, a trip out doesn't have to involve a pit stop by a grocery store beforehand.

In any case, I always recommend storing anything food/drink related in a tightly fitting container (metal is best, plastic is OK). Last year, I used a container for some cereal items, and even now, the contents are still edible because of the airtight lid. The containers not just keep things from getting stale, but keep the critters out, and if there is a freeze and a liquid gets out, it still is contained in something, so it doesn't wind up spilling over a shelf.

Other than food, I like having a few complete changes of clothes.

Electronics-wise, I keep a small external (1.2 amp-hours to 2.0 amp-hours) battery for charging USB stuff. I also keep a tablet that has its own cellular connection, so I can read a book if need be.

After buying the MH, I may end up buying a small cargo trailer for behind it, partially as a way to mark a site as reserved, but as something to have at the ready for longer trips, (or, God forbid, evacuations). The cargo trailer would also be stocked with items, but planned around long term stays/boondocks, and would carry additional supplies (TruFuel containers, water, food, camp stove, bedding, clothing, and so on.) The advantage of this setup is the ability to pile in and take off for a few days, at a moment's notice. If an evacuation is called or there is a disaster, the trailer gets hitched, and comes the ability for longer term outings.