cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tom Johnson Camping - Concord, NC (sales)

karmi
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with this dealership? They have the camper that we want, but they are a long way from our area so would like to know they are a good dealer. Can't find much online except for reviews on Tom Johnson campground. It is usually a good sign when you don't find much!
13 REPLIES 13

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
I have dealt with Bill Plemmons RV World many time and they are tops in the RV world. Excellent RV dealer in Stanleyville, NC just north of Winston Salem. They also have a dealership in Raleigh, NC.

Just bought our first motorhome, a 2014 Jayco Greyhawk, from Plemmons RV in Raleigh. The salesman and sales manager were very easy to deal with. The service technician spent all day with us on the PDI and showing us how to operate things. We're very pleased with both the Greyhawk and Plemmons.
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Also must add that a coworker was looking at a motorhome 2 years ago. Same unit there as was at Camping World. There was a $10,000 difference between the two places. Tom Johnson Concord said they couldn't come anywhere near matching the price. My coworker would of bought from them if they would of because he had a friend that liked them. He ended up buying from Camping World Statesville and has become a lifelong customer. He not only bought that RV, but upgraded it a few months later to a bigger unit. Later that year, his wife received some medical news that they didn't they would be able to continue to RV. They sold the RV. Things changed for his wife for the better and they bought a new motorhome this year...yep from Camping World. Won't even bother with Tom Johnson. Although he does like their campground in Marion.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Been to the Concord (Charlotte area) location a couple times. Sales people not very good at their jobs. Have tried to deal with them over the internet and would not budge on price.

Saw a truck camper online a year or so ago at their Marion location. Did an inquiry online. A girl emailed me back. I asked if the truck I had (F250 super crew short bed) could carry the camper. It took a couple days to hear back. In the meantime I researched it myself and found that it would. When she finally got back with me she said she didn't know and hadn't even seen the camper and that her and a manager would go look at it, but they didn't think it would. I told her I researched it myself already and found out that it would work. Asked her what was the best price they could do off the listed internet price. A couple days later I got a response. She said that was the lowest they would go. I told her they needed to come off the price some. Never heard back. But I do get their lovely emails consistently....haven't unsubscribed from them yet...I need to.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
we bought from tom Johnson in Marion...traded a Shasta class c for 2005 Fleetwood flair class a...we were negative equity on the Shasta...but they came in with okay numbers...hubby has to keep this one and have deep pockets to finish the payoff...but it was a good 2 days changing out our stuff from Shasta to this one. we stayed free in campground & took our time..
we had no problem going back there for a recall...don't remember what it was....they had parts waiting and couple hours...we were done.
that's even with 2 dogs they let us bring in.
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, have purchased from TJ several yrs back....Charlotte. Camper was used + we got a fair deal. Treated well. Have also purchased from Camp
ing World Statesville (can recommend salesman Homer), Bill Plemmons + Terrell Camping Center. Do NOT bother with the latter....we had a major nightmare there with new purchase. PM me if you need any specifics.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought. Tom Johnson techs travel to all NASCAR races and are on hand to provide any and all services required for Driver, owner, Crew Chief and official's coaches. I would guess they do pretty good work. These people can be pretty picky.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have dealt with Bill Plemmons RV World many time and they are tops in the RV world. Excellent RV dealer in Stanleyville, NC; University Pkwy just north of Winston Salem. They also have a dealership in Raleigh, NC. Good selection of RVs and great service.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have dealt with Bill Plemmons RV World many time and they are tops in the RV world. Excellent RV dealer in Stanleyville, NC just north of Winston Salem. They also have a dealership in Raleigh, NC.

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
No personal experience but met a fellow on his 3rd or 4th RV from them and he wouldn't deal with anyone else. He constantly praised them and their service. Told me a few stories about some minor issues that they came out to fix...in the campground! If he was telling the truth they are awesome to deal with.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought our first TT from TJ Marion. Traded our pup. They gave us more for the pup than any dealer offered, and the whole experience is very good from the marion store. And It seems they are one of the few dealers that actually know how to setup a WDH.

All in all. TJS in Marion is one of the best places in NC to get an RV. I do prefer Marion over Concord. They just seem nicer. I guess its the location.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Brother bought his from the Charlotte location. Didn't have anything negative to say about them
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

Uma___Papa
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 5th wheel at the Marion NC site of Tom Johnson's back in 06. We tried to deal with a local dealer here in our hometown in SC but TJ beat the price hands down. Hubby found the exact RV on their web site we wanted as the one being sold locally, he called and talked to TJ and a deal was made we drove up, they had it all ready for our inspection they installed our in bed hitch too, we had a good experience back then. They have a nice campground near the dealership in Marion and a plus is the beauty of the area too. The Tom Johnson's located near Charlotte NC (close to the race track) as far as I know still deals with a lot of the NASCAR drivers' needs. Good Luck BTW we are still enjoying ours.

tbolt2000
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of years ago we looked at a PU at the Marion site and seriously considered it and when we started to talk to sales I got the feeling they did not want to budge any. We ended up getting a Hybrid from a different dealer.

We are wanting to upgrade to another Hybrid and although they are about the only dealer close to us that seem to have any substantial Hybrids in stock, they seem higher in price. I compared a 2015 Forest River Shamrock 23SS at Peco Campers with what Tom Johnson had and Tom Johnson was approx.. $8000.00 more on the web site. That is a huge difference in a starting point and lot of haggling to me.

With Tom Johnson having many in stock I'm using them to see and get the "feel" of the different models to see what suits us best and will most likely wait and see when other dealer within driving distance has the one we settle on

Just my opinion. I must say we have not purchased from them, but the one time we were seriously looking they seemed to be awful proud of what they had. Not saying once purchased from them that they would provide exceptional customer service.

We live about 1 hour from both locations and have several other RV dealers within 2 hour drive but the others rarely have Hybrids. But I can use TJ to walk in the hybrids look at them etc. and wait for others to see if they get one with better price.

Peco is 4 hour drive and it is worth to me to drive for a $8000.00 difference right off the bat, just may have to wait until it comes in stock.

Just My 2 cents worth.
I've done so much with so little for so long, I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing.