cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow dolly questions

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I have a motor home and a flatbed car trailer. I recently had to switch cars from what we had and found out that the new mini van once loaded that I cannot open any of the doors due to the height of the fenders on the trailer.
So I will dispose of the near new car trailer and get a dolly as I need to have the van with me that has my wheelchair inside. At least it will save me some weight towing as the trailer weighs in at some 1700#
What brand is popular? I would like something light so if I have to disconnect the dolly at a given campsite I can move it around.
I will assume they have brakes~either electric or surge?
2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
12 REPLIES 12

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
When delivered I uncrated it very quickly. But I found that the brake fluid had all leaked out destroying the paint for several inches.
I cleaned the area, repainted it and refilled the fluid.
These dollies should not be store or shipped upright!
I let the company know too.
Also, my Pacifica mini van is so wide that there is only an inch or so clearance on this trailer. And therefore the wheel does not turn very far before it hits the side of the trailer.

I would think that as I have stock tires and rims that you should measure your tread width before you buy. And anyone with bigger rims or tires could find they will not fit on this trailer.

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered the dolly Monday at noon and it's out for delivery this AM (Friday) all the way from NC. Great service on the order of the EZE Tow.
I could not find out for sure if the van would require lights on the rear of the van within AZ but we will be traveling in many states and it just makes sense so I ordered a harness splitter for the trailer wiring and a set of magnetic lights for the fan for safety.
The flatbed weighed in at some 1700 + # and the EZE Tow is only 380# so that saves me weight and fuel to tow the rig as I see it.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Love our Acme
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered the Acme EZE Tow. I had a couple of questions such as clearance for my new van which is low and they came right back and told me if it's an issue to lower the hitch height to 12". I sent another question about the straps and if they would work with my 17" factory tires and again they responded right away with the information.
Read many reviews and it appears it will do the job.

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Bad habit to be overweight...even slightly. Did you ever put that combo on a scale?

No, I did not actually weigh the package but the van maker says my model is 4330. To that I have had to add a power lift for my wheelchair and the power chair itself for a grand total of 4910#. That is of course with nothing else in the van.

From what I see on the 'net the Acme EZE Tow and the American tow dolly are the only ones with that type of weight capacity. The total package with the EZE Tow reduces my weight by some 1300# which I like too.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Master Tow with surge brakes. No problems in over 10k miles. Well built for @ $$1700.00. Only complaint I have is that it is heavy and not easy to move around. Got a tow dolly dolly from Harbor Freight.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, the ultimate tow dolly is the DEMCO Kar Kaddy, with surge brakes.
Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it is heavy compared to some others. But, it is well built, and likely to last nearly forever.
I had one once, that was about 30 years old. It worked flawlessly on a trip from here to Ringgold, GA, and back. Selling it was one of the dumbest things I have done!
My second choice would be the American tow dolly.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bad habit to be overweight...even slightly. Did you ever put that combo on a scale?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
We thought about the planks but my mini van is close to 5000# anyway and the trailer hits some 1700+ #. That is slightly over what the MH is rated to tow. Like I said, the dolly will be lighter.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
You could always convert the fender to be removable or "flip-able". Like U-haul does.

That said, a tow dolly will pull better, and free up a little more carrying capacity for the MH since it does not really add tongue weight.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howe much more height do you need to get the doors open? How about two 2" x 12" planks where the wheels run?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I have an American Car Dolly. It is steel, sturdy, an articulating front tire platform, fenders, lights and electric brakes. Delivered to my home for under $2000. New!
I find it easy to use and move around. Aluminum is lighter, but Does it hold up?
Good luck
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3