cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a towed and a boat behind mh

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
This general subject has been tossed around from time to time.
Thinking seriously this will be the only way to take a boat with us when RVing. the Motorhome 40ft total, towed about 22 ft including hitch and tow bars then and perhaps the pontoon boat and trailer I want 28 ft total.
I would be towing, in the east to Alabama coast, from Tn, an d from Tn to Michigan and out west I'm not certain where except Oklahoma near the Cherokee Nation.
Is towing two vehicles with total length 80-90ft length legal? still anywhere? Air brakes on coach and towed and surge brakes on boat trailer, or should I convert trailer to air brakes?
43 REPLIES 43

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
It isn't just YOUR COUNTY!
The speed limit on all interstate highways drops to 65 (or less) when the freeway goes through most incorporated areas.
Even here in Billings, MT, the speed limit on the freeway through town is 65. Out of town it is now 80. So far, they have not bothered to set up any "speed traps" here.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

Occasionally have "stings" near the Idaho boarder. It's legal in Idaho and there are some recreation spots off I-84 near the border where people try to "sneak in" for a short distance.

Fine till you get caught.

How does it become a 'sting' ensuring that the states laws are being adhered to? It's all well and good till there's an accident..then, when the goof's inusrance walks away, and said goof says "uh uh got no money"...

Gary Haupt
well, ok, wrong terms.

They will set up a patrol with multiple patrol cars just past the border looking for people pulling doubles. Sometimes near a rest stop before most of the folks turn off the interstate.
To go to a common place for boating.

Maybe "saturation patrol" is a better description.

When you enter my county, the interstate speed limit drops from 80 to 65. The Sheriff and/or the Highway Patrol will post 4 or 5 cars at a time about 1/2 a mile inside the county line. Locals know that.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

Occasionally have "stings" near the Idaho boarder. It's legal in Idaho and there are some recreation spots off I-84 near the border where people try to "sneak in" for a short distance.

How does it become a 'sting' ensuring that the states laws are being adhered to? It's all well and good till there's an accident..then, when the goof's inusrance walks away, and said goof says "uh uh got no money"...

Gary Haupt

well, ok, wrong terms.

They will set up a patrol with multiple patrol cars just past the border looking for people pulling doubles. Sometimes near a rest stop before most of the folks turn off the interstate.
To go to a common place for boating.

Maybe "saturation patrol" is a better description.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it a difficult proposition. Tank is large enough for over 600 miles. 700 if driven slower.
Not sure we want to drive white knuckled all the time either, neither, nither, nor.
We would have to keep the Edge or something sizable to get around and especially launch a boat.
A stack trailer that would handle the Edge and a somewhat sizable boat other than a Pontoon, on its own trailer seems the only practical solution.
Got some months to do some shopping or not.
lake Huron western shore was what I was thinking about. No boats available including charters except in Port Huron and one other location.
There is on County Park right on the water, if any of the local ever took their Fifth Wheels home, i would especially like to spend some time at and do some fishing.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:

It's only a "sting" if the authorities trick you into breaking the law, then bust you, like sending in an old looking 20 year old to buy beer. If you broke the law all on your own, it is merely enforcement.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
Non comercial double towing not allowed in Oregon either. And they do and will stop you and require you to drop the second trailer before you can even proceed.

Yep, yet commercial rigs can tow Triples, yes semi cab with three trailers, common in many western states. Some times fun watching them snake down the road.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Non comercial double towing not allowed in Oregon either. And they do and will stop you and require you to drop the second trailer before you can even proceed.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
The solution to your problem is simple. Buy a boat that is large enough to have sleeping quarters, a bathroom and holding tanks, and kitchen facilities. Then you only need to tow one thing. :B :B

Oh, you might also have to buy a ladder.
Advanced RV Sprinter

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Additional information from the Montana.GOV Official State Website:
"Towing โ€“ Passenger Vehicle Combinations

Reference: 61-10-104 M.C.A.

A passenger vehicle or truck of less than 2,000 pounds "manufacturer's rated capacity" may not tow more than one trailer or semi-trailer. This combination may not exceed an overall length, inclusive of front and rear bumpers, in excess of 65 feet, except as provided in 61-10-124 M.C.A.

Passenger vehicles or trucks with a "manufacturer's rated capacity" of 2,000 pounds or more may tow 2 trailers. This combination may not have an overall length, inclusive of front and rear bumpers, in excess of 75 feet, except as provided in 61-10-124 M.C.A. Each trailer exceeding 3,000 pounds must be equipped with brakes and breakaway brakes, as required in 61-9-304 M.C.A. and 61-9-305 M.C.A. The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers may not exceed 40% of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers as per 61-9-304(1)(a) MCA."

As you can see, the referenced "List Of Towing Laws" is incomplete, as well as Just. Simply. WRONG!
DO NOT be foolish enough to believe what such lists have to say!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I've looked into this a lot as I'd love to tow a boat behind a FW. Last I checked double towing was legal in 33 states, so most of the country. The illegal states were pretty much the entire east coast.
Legal or not doesn't matter because you'r way too long. 75' is about max length most places with many states shorter than that.
In VA, my home state, if a trooper pulls you over for two trailers you must leave one sit on the spot. You can not continue on with both of them.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Even if it were legal I'd hate to pull a set-up like that. Plan on having a huge fuel tank on the RV. Pulling into fuel stations would be a nightmare. Oh, and construction areas where they have you weaving in and out of the orange cones. Also, if a breakdown or flat you'd have to disconnect the whole train. Yikes! Not relaxing at all.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silly boys...:B
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Markiemark32 wrote:
Saw this once while out on a adventure:

------>

Markiemark:C

Is it just me, or would launching that boat soak the SUV? :B
I bet the bedroom would get a little wet before the boat floats! :B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds