cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shower drain

twotoes
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel is almost 4 years old. The drain in my shower is draining slow. I have purchased a tool from Home Depot to remove the hair. It helped a little bit for a little while but it is now draining slow again. Is it safe to add liquid drano in the drain of an RV or will this hurt the plastic drain or holding tank?
15 REPLIES 15

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our KZ owners manual actually says to use liquid Drano. They wouldn't say that if it could potentially damage something. Have used it twice in our black tank and no issues afterwards. Liquid Drano will not damage plastic or metal. For bad clogs and holding tanks, it's the best thing going.

Drano info.

If using a competitor's product, make sure the label says it will not harm metal or plastic.

I thought there is usually an access cover for a shower/tub. Ours has a twist off cover. Our old TT had about a 4x4" cover made from luan plywood on the side of the tub. If you have a cover you can pull the P-trap out and clean it.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those skinny snakes with barbs on the sides , plastic 25 or 30 inches long , push it in , comes out loaded with hair . Bought mine at Home Depot , best thang since flush toilets !

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"twotoes".....Often people miss it on the RV drains, but many have a double screen. Remove the chrome screw/screen in the shower and check underneath for a second drain screen.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Several months ago I had a guy wash and detail my MH. I also had him snake the shower drain from the shower roof vent. He pulled out a lot of hair. The shower now drains properly.

I have 3 roof vents. The shower, kitchen sink, and toilet have their own roof vents. The bathroom sink has one of those sink air vents on its drain.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get it draining properly, get a screen insert for shower. We have used one for several years, never had a problem with slow drainage. We do clean the screen after each shower.
The screens are available on-line and at RV supply stores.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I made a tool that fits into the shower and sink drains tightly. I attach this to my garden hose and turn it on and it clears the drain quickly. I find I have to do this every other year because of slow drains.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I use the baking soda /vinegar/hot water trick it will blow out anything that is stuck in a p-trap! It is AMAZING how well it works.

I use it on a regular maintenance basis for both the MH and the house. Keeps all drains slick and clean and draining fast.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Draino with no ill effects.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
No drano for me. Clorox may not be good either but does a great job clearing hair from drain lines. I myself would find a physical fix as others have posted a plunger should work great. Just make sure you have the shower filled with water as high as possible and plung away!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Bad for the seals in the drain valve
Try boiling water then repeat

And do it once a month as a preventive.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Drano a time or two. I just make sure there is water in the grey tank to lessen any effect it may have on the drain seals. After the shower drain runs good, I dump the grey holding tank.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Less then $9 fix
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You might try the vinegar and baking soda trick. Here's one source: http://www.crunchybetty.com/clean-your-drains-with-baking-soda-and-vinegar-surprise
One of these days I'll learn how to hyperlink...
I'm thinking you didn't get all the hair out of the drain. Don't know that tool you bought but there are some about 3 feet long that should get it all. One kind has `velcro' on the end and others have barbs along the length. I get them from Ace hardware.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drano and plastic
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman