cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a towed and a boat behind mh

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
This general subject has been tossed around from time to time.
Thinking seriously this will be the only way to take a boat with us when RVing. the Motorhome 40ft total, towed about 22 ft including hitch and tow bars then and perhaps the pontoon boat and trailer I want 28 ft total.
I would be towing, in the east to Alabama coast, from Tn, an d from Tn to Michigan and out west I'm not certain where except Oklahoma near the Cherokee Nation.
Is towing two vehicles with total length 80-90ft length legal? still anywhere? Air brakes on coach and towed and surge brakes on boat trailer, or should I convert trailer to air brakes?
43 REPLIES 43

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Markiemark32 wrote:
Saw this once while out on a adventure:

------>

Markiemark:C

Is it just me, or would launching that boat soak the SUV? :B
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
BuckyBadger wrote:
mowermech wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
JAXFL wrote:
Well now that we are all in agreement... :S

Never say..."ALL"...:S..:W

~

No, never.
AFAIK, as I previously stated, it is legal in Montana, but the maximum length for a truck/trailer/trailer combination is 75 feet (this is one place the Lists are wrong).
Another place they are commonly wrong is "Towing Speed". Montana does not have such a thing. There is a "Truck Speed Limit" but that does not apply to RV towing. There is a "Night Speed Limit" that applies to everybody. But, there is NO "Towing Speed Limit"!
Oh, and vehicles in tow are NOT "trailers" according to the legal definition of a "trailer"!

The link posted above states 75 feet;)

Actually, no it doesn't. It says 70 feet for a "triple tow" (footnote #42). In actuality, Montana code Annotated does not refer to a "triple tow", it refers to "truck/trailer/trailer", and the maximum length is 75 feet. For some light reading, see MCA 61-10-104.
Nearly all Montana vehicle codes are in the MCA 61- series.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
To the OP - when someone tells you something is legal in a certain state then if you want to know if they really know what they're talking about ask them to provide the statute for their state showing where it's legal. Don't accept those websites showing a chart of what's legal. Ask to see the exact statute. You'll find a lot of these internet 'experts' can't find their state statute if they looked and wouldn't be able to comprehend what they read even if someone showed it to them.
Camped in every state

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
JAXFL wrote:

~

No, never.
AFAIK, as I previously stated, it is legal in Montana, but the maximum length for a truck/trailer/trailer combination is 75 feet (this is one place the Lists are wrong).
Another place they are commonly wrong is "Towing Speed". Montana does not have such a thing. There is a "Truck Speed Limit" but that does not apply to RV towing. There is a "Night Speed Limit" that applies to everybody. But, there is NO "Towing Speed Limit"!
Oh, and vehicles in tow are NOT "trailers" according to the legal definition of a "trailer"!

The link posted above states 75 feet;)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
JAXFL wrote:

~

No, never.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
JAXFL wrote:

~

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
This general subject has been tossed around from time to time.
Thinking seriously this will be the only way to take a boat with us when RVing. the Motorhome 40ft total, towed about 22 ft including hitch and tow bars then and perhaps the pontoon boat and trailer I want 28 ft total.
I would be towing, in the east to Alabama coast, from Tn, an d from Tn to Michigan and out west I'm not certain where except Oklahoma near the Cherokee Nation.
Is towing two vehicles with total length 80-90ft length legal? still anywhere? Air brakes on coach and towed and surge brakes on boat trailer, or should I convert trailer to air brakes?

No reciprocity between states on length - assume 65' max for all.

However - that's the least of the glitches with your plan!

Mission Impossible.

Your two vehicles towed behind the MH is not only a design for disaster, it would be a citation magnet - as well as "Do not pass Go", park it and tow each "somewhere" individually- NOW.

Invest in some kind of stacker or single trailer combining both.

Good luck...:R

~

colochoclab
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the link to Towing World's guide to towing by state:

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

Although in some states it may be legal to tow a boat/toad combo behind a MH, the logistics of the hitch setups would be a problem in my opinion. I was planning to tow my single jet ski behind the boat and researched this for my state, Colorado. (Your results may vary!)
It was stated that some pontoons don't have brakes. When I was shopping for a new Sun Tracker, it depended on what the dealer had and/or what you wanted to order as far as surge brakes. However, the configuration of the pontoon trailer frame would not allow for me to attach a receiver without a really long tongue extension to clear the outboard motor. This also proved true for our final boat purchase, a Bayliner 180 OB. SO, for me, towing behind a boat trailer was not possible. Towing something significantly more heavy than a jetski would be a huge problem.
The solution to my particular problem was to add a frame-mounted receiver hitch on the TT to tow the jetski and have a dedicated tow vehicle for the boat. I am under the length limit for my TV/TT/jetski combo and the minimal weight of the jetski does not create a problem.
Our future plans is to also get a new MH/toad in a couple of years. Our plan for boating trips will be to have the MH tow the jetski and the other vehicle tow the boat (In our case, our Mercedes ML430). If we need to go somewhere, we will have the ML430 to use.

Ok, my blabbering is done! Hope it helped!
2008 Nissan Titan LE Crew 4x4
'06 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS
'11 Bayliner 180ob
'99 Seadoo GTS
Member titantalk, seadooforum, benzworld.org

My Chocolate Labs "Snickers", "Reese" and "Hershey"(Passed)

"I asked God for a true friend: He sent me a Labrador Retriever."

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

I kicked that thought around a lot. Probably only boats to work on a toad roof are canoes, kayaks or jon boats. KISS and carry a trolling motor or gas motor in toad or on hitch hauler of toad. Full blown boat? Rent it at location.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to towingworld.com. Sponsored by Blue OX, you would be illegal in Ala. Tenn. and Ga. and most other states. Max length is 65 ft. and it states hitch ball only ok behind 5th wheel trailer.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
This is one of the worst ideas I've heard in a while!
......And I get accused of cowboying stuff!
Do not do this. Bad idea!
I don't even need to explain the multiple serious issues or flaws with this.
Btw, go tow a big pontoon before you think about going over the road with a pontoon trailer whether by itself behind a truck or as the caboose on the death train!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona: First trailer must be a fifth wheel.

Maximum length 65 feet.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few facts I have found in my research:
1. CA is the only state I have found that requires a Class A CDL with doubles endorsement for towing two trailers. I think there are a couple others that require an endorsement, but not a special license.
2. In Montana, what you want to do would be legal, but too long. 75 feet is the max length for a truck/trailer/trailer tow.
3. In most states East of the Mississippi, RV double towing is not allowed.
4. In most states in the West, it is allowed. Some states require the first trailer to be a fifth wheel hitch, some do not.
5. Trailer brake requirements vary by state. Some states require that the second trailer have brakes that can be controlled by the driver, independently of the brakes on the first trailer. I don't know if surge brakes qualify for that or not. Some states require that the second trailer have brakes, regardless of the gross trailer weight.
6. DO NOT rely on the information in ANY "List of Towing Laws" on the internet. Every one I have seen is inaccurate in some ways. They all have the Montana laws messed up, I can see no reason to trust them on the laws in any other state!
Have fun researching the laws in the states you plan to visit.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
This is the wrong place to ask. You need to ask each state you plan to travel through. I towed double bumper pulls for many years and yes its legal and safe.