cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with a new vehicle

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, it appears I may be closer to a new vehicle for daily use.

Either a 2015 F150 with the 5.0 or Chevy 1500 with the 5.3. Either would be new off the lot.

We are planning a holiday where we would be towing our 32' 7000lb trailer for over 2000km on the interstates and other highways.

There is a possibility the new vehicle will be available before our trip. That would only allow for a few weeks.

I have my V10 F350 still so my thinking is that it would be better to get a few thousand kilometers on the new truck before thinking about doing any serious towing with it. Therefore I am looking at 28-35 l/100km or 6-8 mpg towing. Ouch...

What is the current wisdom on breaking in a motor/drivetrain before towing?
Spree 318bhs. Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch.
Primary tow vehicle 2015 F150 super crew, 5.0 V8.
17 REPLIES 17

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
You're going to own 2 trucks in Canada with our gas prices...you are brave...or rich :B Why not consider a Ram?
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
I only expect better mileage with the new truck when not hooked up to a 7000 lb brick. I'm getting 8mpg unloaded driving around town with the V10 I have right now...

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made sure I did at least 500 miles before towing. I wanted every benefit possible because I tow at max capacity every time. I haven't lost a carrier in 120,000 miles, but I have lost a driveline bearing and am having tranny work done as we speak.

I also agree with the rest who say if you're expecting better mileage with the newer truck, I think you'll be mistaken. I only manage about 8mpg average towing and 14-15 not with the 5.4 v8. Good luck and have fun!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
I'm selling the 1 ton truck no matter what. The Chevy 1500 with the heavy duty tow package has a 3/4 rear end and heavier suspension. I only learned about this 2 weeks ago that they had a heavier duty 1/2 ton version.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be towing a 32' 7K TT with a 1/2 ton if a 1 ton was available either way.... The 1/2 ton mileage will not be that much better, towing "x" lbs takes up, hp takes fuel....

But looking to the owners manual is the best way to determine breakin.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
Shogun wrote:
The truck will be a daily driver I will use for finding a parking spot downtown 5 days per week.

The truck has an 11000 lb gvwr with current local laws now placing it in the same category as a highway tractor with yearly intense inspections and a potential need to have a yearly physical to maintain licensing of the truck.... Plus, due to the gvwr, insurance options are limited and I need to take out a secondary policy to drive the truck outside of the province.....

95%+ of the time it will not be used for towing. If we do tow the trailer it is typically less than 500km.

I need a truck that is reasonable to tow with on a rare basis, but is more suited to daily use.

Really? Are you sure about that? A 1500/2500/3500 series truck should all be considered light duty according to the authorities or insurance companies. It's certainly not at all like you say one province over.

Yes I'm very sure. I just got a ticket from the police as the truck was only licensed for 9990 lbs as per the insurance agent. The gvwr on the door sticker is 11000 lbs therefore I was given incorrect info. I was berated by the officer for blatantly trying to avoid getting the safety inspections. I also had to get a special safety done with a specific door sticker. After 45 minutes on the phone with Manitoba public insurance, being transferred 3 times I was able to speak with a senior supervisor I was given incorrect information and I did need to comply to continue to have the vehicle licensed. There is obviously some inconsistencies as even trucks with dual axels don't have them locally (but absolutely should).

I also got a letter in the mail from MPI indicating that yearly physicals are needed for the people driving these vehicles. The caveat is individuals using these vehicles for personal use are exempt from the physical requirement "at this time".

I'm also required to carry a fire extinguisher, flares, and marker signs in the vehicle at all times, as per class 1-3 vehicles...

So regulations are different all over the place.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
The current wisdom on breaking in a new vehicle is read the owners manual.
HR

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Shogun wrote:
The truck will be a daily driver I will use for finding a parking spot downtown 5 days per week.

The truck has an 11000 lb gvwr with current local laws now placing it in the same category as a highway tractor with yearly intense inspections and a potential need to have a yearly physical to maintain licensing of the truck.... Plus, due to the gvwr, insurance options are limited and I need to take out a secondary policy to drive the truck outside of the province.....

95%+ of the time it will not be used for towing. If we do tow the trailer it is typically less than 500km.

I need a truck that is reasonable to tow with on a rare basis, but is more suited to daily use.

Really? Are you sure about that? A 1500/2500/3500 series truck should all be considered light duty according to the authorities or insurance companies. It's certainly not at all like you say one province over.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Shogun
Explorer
Explorer

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Read the book for that trucks requirements. Maybe rethink that half ton choice. That's a pretty big trailer.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Boy what made you switch from a V10 350 to a 1500? Milage will be about the same or worse in the 1500 and you will notice that 7000 pounds behind you.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Most of what I have read support 500 miles before towing.

I would also agree with the poster above who said not to expect dramatic difference in towing MPG.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Take it for what it's worth. With my last truck (a Chevy 2500) I was only able to put a couple hundred miles on it before I had to tow with it. It also developed a slight howl in the rear end on deceleration from 45-40mph at the same time. With my new truck, I went 1000 miles and all is quiet.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Chevy also recommends 500 miles to seat the ring and pinion gears in the differential.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.