cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trade-in advice

scouts1us
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have been searching for a new TT. We narrowed our choices down to two units at different dealers. I want to trade-in our current TT. My question is; do I take our trailer in with us when we go to try and work out a deal? The dealers are both about 45-50 minutes drive away.I've never done a trade-in before so not sure what to expect......

Steve
16 REPLIES 16

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Seems like RV dealers would offer to sell units on consignment. 10% would be easy money for them and the customer would come out better than trading when it did sell.

unless it is a fairly unique camper, its highly likely that when a dealers sells a camper on consignment, they would lose a sale of a preowned camper from their inventory .... it's highly likely they would make more on one of their inventory units than on a consignment unit

Jim

Very good point Jim

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Seems like RV dealers would offer to sell units on consignment. 10% would be easy money for them and the customer would come out better than trading when it did sell.

unless it is a fairly unique camper, its highly likely that when a dealers sells a camper on consignment, they would lose a sale of a preowned camper from their inventory .... it's highly likely they would make more on one of their inventory units than on a consignment unit

Jim

I don't think dealers are all that picky about where the money comes from.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

scouts1us
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies! Lots of good advice for us to consider!

Steve

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the dealer without your trade and do not mention that you have a trade in.

Negotiate what you consider a good price for the trailer you want to buy. DO NOT MENTION THAT YOU HAVE A TRADE IN! After arriving at what you consider a fair price for the new trailer, then and only then bring your trade in into the equation. Ask the dealer or go to a library and get the wholesale value of your trade in from the NADA RV pricing guide. This guide is not the NADA online guide.

Subtract the wholesale value, from the NADA guide, from the "no trade" price you arrived at with the dealer. The difference will be you price w/trade.

The paperwork will show the full MSRP price of your new trailer minus a greatly inflated value for you trade in. But, the difference will be the same as the procedure I outlined above.

If you want more than wholesale for your trailer sell it yourself, but remember you'll pay full sales tax when you purchase from a dealer without a trade in.

This procedure is also the same when purchasing an automobile. This is Consumer Reports method of purchasing vehicles WITH A TRADE IN.

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Working on consignment is fine for those who have their rv paid for, but for those who don't, it's tough making two payments at the same time. Plus there is the problem of insurance. Most consignment dealers will not insure your rv while on their lot or being test driven, and most insurance companies will not insure it either when not in your possession.

Not sure what the OPs situation is however.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
I'm working on upgrading too. They offered us way below fair market value for our tt and wouldn't come down on their internet price for the new tt. We walked, nobody came after us or ever called us. We will be selling our tt on craigslist and then getting the new tt ( their internet price is within $2000 of going to Elkhart and getting it ourselves and they are local to me). Another dealership flat out told us to sell it on craigslist because the money just isn't there for trading in. Both dealership s offered advice on how to do this safely and how to tell if I'm asking a fair price. I would sell your tt on capitalist and then buy the tt you want. You will do far better than the pittance the dealership will offer you on your trade.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
You won't need to bring the trailer in ahead of time. Disclose any defects up front and it should go smoothly when you pick up the new trailer and do the exchange.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
as a general rule, you will get the best deal for both your current and new camper if you sell the current one and buy the new one straight out .... if you can sell your camper for $1 the dealer can sell it for $1 but they won't give you a $1 for it .... when selling your current camper you will find that most folks expect it to be pristine and don't want to pay much for it .... that is true for a dealer as well

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
So we expect dealers to treat us right and when they don't we cry all over the internet but on the next post we flat out tell other people to lie and be dishonest with dealers............at the end of the day, the price on the new unit and the trade allowance don't matter, what really matter's is the difference if you are trading. No matter what a dealer puts down on paper, when you trade your RV in you are getting about wholesale NADA book value.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we struck a deal for our Class C agreeing on an aggressive "internet cash" price I told them I would not buy it until my TT was gone. They offered $5400 in trade (sight unseen), which was the wholesale price out of the dealers book. I told them firmly 'NO!" and walked out of the little room in the sales department (they hate it when that happens). :B

Our TT was immaculate and very well equipped. We had it on consignment at another dealer with it listed at $9,500. The consignment dealer expected to easily/quickly get $9,000 and I would receive $8,500. I showed the Class C dealer (La Mesa RV), pics off the TT and 5 minutes later they came scrambling out agreeing to up the trade in to $8,500. I am certain they sold out TT that weekend for at leas $9,000 probably a little more.

By doing the trade in the sales tax was computed on the difference between what we traded and what we purchased saving us about $600. The consignment dealer wished us well and I went back on Monday and delivered a case of good (ice cold) beer and $100 for his time and trouble (not much of either but it seemed like the right thing to do).

A couple of thoughts: Our deal was done in Arizona so the tax break may or may not be available where you are shopping. Just because they quote you a ridiculous low ball trade value does not mean they won't come up, especially if it is on a clean easily resale able rig. Always negotiate your very best "cash" price on the new RV before even mentioning any possible trade, no sense playing all of your cards too early. Yes, they howled when I insisted on doing the trade at the higher price but bottom line they made money about 4 ways to Sunday.

Lastly, we were haggling on the afternoon of July 31st. Just about any large dealer has already made their nut for the month at that point and anything else they move is pure gravy from the corporate office. :C

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I totally agree with brirene....

Be aware that dealers have their own NADA guides and they are NOT the same as those you have access to here on the internet and their guide will always have lower values for trade in.

Your best bet, of course, is to sell it yourself as you will be able to get more for it than you would at a dealership. However, you've already stated you want to trade in....

i would not take the trailer with you until final negotiations. They will ask you up front if you want to trade in your trailer.....at this time just tell them you have not made up your mind and that you already have someone who is interested but have not committed themselves. Once you settle on a price for the new rig, then tell them the deal fell through and you've decided to trade in. The downside to this, is that you will probably get less for your trade in, but should be off set by the lower price for the new one that you have already negotiated.

It's really a toss up. All depends upon how YOU like to negotiate and dicker. The dealer will probably come out of the deal with the same profit either way.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they'll usually give you an estimate based on the model, year, and your estimate of condition etc. That will hold unless condition is drastically different than what you've stated. Downside is that if your unit is in exceptional condition they won't necessarily give you more without a fight. That's been my experience over 2 deals.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard