cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer and truck bounce

Bdpayneia
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Cherokee Alpha Wolf 23RD-L. Towing it with 2005 Ford F150. I have a Husky Center Line towing system. When driving on concrete and hit about 60 MPH the trailer and truck start bouncing really bad. This does not happen when I am on asphalt which is really strange. I tried raising the tongue level on tbe Husky and that didn't help. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with mine. Ram 2500 towing 36โ€™ x 10k TT. I put 4 bilsteins and added a pair of stable loads. Stable loads engage the overload springs on the truck and stiffens it significantly. The ride is still good. I really canโ€™t tell a difference on most roads. They are easily taken out of service for times you donโ€™t have a load. On concrete hwys that I could barely run 45 on I can now comfortably run 60. If your F150 has P tires upgrade them to LTโ€™s. That can help a lot too.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
I agree probably harmonics of your set up just by luck conform to the frequency of the roadway at 60 mph. If the truck shocks are original consider replacement. Possibly add shocks to the trailer if you will be using this roadway frequently. May not be a cure unless the existing is fully shot... but should help.

X2
Bilsteinโ€™s on the TV good shocks on trailer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
To help reduce the hop/jerking, speeding up/slowing down is best option. About 10 mph either way makes a big difference. I have also noticed that while staying in the lane, but keeping to the edge, one side or the other, helps too. However, you are more likely to get a tire puncture, while running on the lane edges.

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
US 69 hiway is a trucking route between I-44 in ne OK down to DFW. It has section of concrete surfaces that my wifes 1500 chevy pulling a 18' 10k car hauler empty or loaded just kills me. It bucks hard.
However I can run my 16k gvwr 36' 6800 lb empty triaxle GN stock trailer over the same roads with her truck and its super smooth. (no I don't use her truck with this trailer when loaded but I do have to pony the empty trailer sometimes between sale barns/pasture loading pins/etc.)

Freeway hop...as we call it since man started pulling trailers mainly on concrete hiways. When I hauled for a living sometimes I would route around concrete hiways for that reason.
There is no single "thing" that will fix all combinations and there are many "things" that causes it. Most folks find trial and error remedy solutions worked for them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
โ€œIf the designers of highways would change the joint spacing...โ€
Itโ€™s hard to believe, but some states still have typical joint spacing. WSDOTis one of the dummies who still do this.
The first road I concrete paved was in NM, over 20 years ago. NMSHTD varied panel joint spacing back then. It only takes a little variation to keep the harmonics from starting.
Also doesnโ€™t help that cut concrete also swells or curls at the cuts.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I agree probably harmonics of your set up just by luck conform to the frequency of the roadway at 60 mph. If the truck shocks are original consider replacement. Possibly add shocks to the trailer if you will be using this roadway frequently. May not be a cure unless the existing is fully shot... but should help.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Harmonics and because the wheel base. Spacing if the pavement joints, your suspension compression, tire PSI, shocks (they also have a natural harmonic), speed, etc all lined up

Once that harmonic synchronization happens...the amplitude will go ever higher if dwelled there

Speed up or slow down are the only things a driver can do

Back home...changing tire PSI, increase/decrease WD spring rates, etc in order to change the setups harmonic point(s)

Stiffening everything moves the harmonic frequency higher

If the designers of roads and highways would change the spacing of those joinys... that would also help because there wouldn't be a constant frequency...
It would not be at ONE frequency

An example...ho to a softly sprung truck, with ride quality tire PSI

Push the TV sideways with your foot on the bumper

As it comes back over center...push it again and again

Notice how it will naturally continue with LESS push from you. Just time it to that harmonic

Then air up the tires to max PSI...and repeat

It will be at a higher frequency and you won't be able to get it moving as far side to side
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Concrete hwys are made with expansion joints and they seem spaced just right so that while towing with certain combos it's bouncy. My setup is the same way and I even had jerking with my previous 3 trailers of which one was a 5er.
There's a few stretches on I=5 in Oregon that rattle me good.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Drive at 55....... Just kidding.

Have you scaled your rig to see what your actual weights are? I'm no expert, but it sounds like you may have too much tongue weight and or enough bar to handle what you have.

I have an Equalizer 4 point sway control hitch, and I tow 7000 lbs with my 3500. When I first set it up, I was only interested in sway control, and not so much in weight distribution since a 3500 towing 7000 lbs is a bit of an overmatch IMHO. It worked OK for me, but I would occasionally get into the same situation you described on some stretches of undulating road in my area. I dialled in more weight distribution, and it greatly improved the tendency to porpoise.

Just my experience. Hope this helps.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the loaded and wet weight of your trailer? What is your tongue weight?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad