cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer got broken into. Thief totally destroyed the door.

Mainevacationer
Explorer
Explorer
After 12 years at the same campground without any issues, this winter we were not so lucky. 49 different sites in the campground got broken into. Good news is that the thief was caught red-handed and is sitting in a correctional facility awaiting his court date.

What was really interesting is that with some RVs he broke into, he was able to just "POP" the door open on many different manufacturers but others he had to really destroy the door to get in. Our camper door and the frame have to be replaced because we used the dead bolt to lock the door and we had long screws securing the dead bolt. The guy had to try at least 12 times to get our door open.

The police told me that the RVers should treat their doors like the doors on their homes and use better/longer screws to secure the strike plate for the locks. If someone is intent on gaining entry they are still going to get in, but they are going to have to really work at it.
Elinor and Pat
2015 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CCK
34 REPLIES 34

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Well, my take-away from this post is to leave the rig unlocked and remove everything of value when in long term storage. That way they get nothing and don't damage the coach breaking in.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.
Not how I see it. Had friends who had their MH broken into while in storage. The guy was looking for a place to stay and he sure did make use of his temporary digs including the toilet. Then when that filled up, the bathtub. Imagine cleaning that up.

So just letting someone enter vs fixing a broken door may not be in your best interest.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
my toyhauler was broken into while on the rv repair center lot for some warranty work. nothing inside was touched. huh

whole new door. destroy a bit of it and new door is required. I of course had to pay my $500 deductible. sucked big time.

sorry it happened to you.

When mine got broken into and ransacked they smashed the window beside the door and just reached in and unlocked the door.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Been there - happened at the dealer when in for repairs. They'll be let out to do it again. Sorry for your misfortune .

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
No matter where you are or what you try to do, a thief that has his mind set can and will break into anything. I only hope I ma inside when they do as I have a present for them.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
joe b. wrote:
I have only been broken into one time and the person took a rock and broke the window in the door and reached inside to unlock the door. I am still surprised that so many RV builders put windows in the entry door. My thief only took a fire extinguisher, go figure. But it was just a matter of having the broken window replaced and no damage to the door or frame.

I never thought of that before. One smart thief. I think I'll just lock the door handle instead of the dead bolt. I'm only going to lock that just to keep people from spending the night. I almost never lock my convertible.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I have only been broken into one time and the person took a rock and broke the window in the door and reached inside to unlock the door. I am still surprised that so many RV builders put windows in the entry door. My thief only took a fire extinguisher, go figure. But it was just a matter of having the broken window replaced and no damage to the door or frame.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly I need to be locked to collect insurance?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Storage woes are why I'm going to go for a short class "C". I have two choices where I am:

If I were storing my rig in storage lot here in Austin, I would have to replace the locks with thumb latches on the storage compartments, pull everything out of the RV, and leave a broken flat-screen TV in the rig. That way, if it gets broken into, the thieves will have their hands full with hauling a TV out, and less likely to vandalize. RV breakins are quite common, and are just a misdemeanor (which means a night in jail at most)

Store the rig in a rural area... and deal with the time it takes to go and pick it up then drop it off.

I'm doing the second option. Austin doesn't allow trailers in driveways, so it is a MH or nothing.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
nothing I hate more than a thief. they are right up there with druggies, since most of them are druggies. and there is no way you can collect from them as they will have to steal to get the money to pay you. most doors cost over $1000 and sometimes you can get them for under $800 on sale.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
The way the system works criminals has more rights than their victims!
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Well, my take-away from this post is to leave the rig unlocked and remove everything of value when in long term storage. That way they get nothing and don't damage the coach breaking in.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
They way our legal system works, if after a year he gets a court date, he'll find creative ways for continuances, one after another after another. Then enough time will go by and the whole matter will be dropped. If it's not dropped, some judge will most likely give him "time served" and set free. Or he may find a way to plea bargain and get some laxidazial probation with time served. He'll never have to pay a restitution to the victims whose property was damaged. And even if he is ordered to pay a fine, he'll never pay. Then you go through the process of attempting to garnish wages, just to find out he's skipped, and it takes a few more years to find the guy on the lam. When you do catch up with him (because he back in jail for another offense), you finally get a court date for "just cause", just to find he he's 100% unemployed, derelict and has no intention of ever paying anything. It's frustrating, mind blowing, aggitating, and makes your blood boil and steam into oblivion at the foolishness of the legal system. If you are expecting restitution for the damage, you'll never see it. Count your blessing if you can collect insurance on the damage and then move on. (don't ask me how I know all this, it still makes my blood boil!)

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear you have to deal with this. Very happy they caught the guy. Probably can't get blood from a turnip though.