Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer not registered as connected

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2015 F350 towing a fifth wheel

When I used to connect cord to the truck the dash would display "trailer connected" and engage brakes

Now that alert is not displayed and brakes do not engage

- trailer lights work
- I've checked the fuses that seem to be related to towing and they all are good
- tried cleaning the plugs

Any ideas what is wrong?
11 REPLIES 11

ForestRiverInc
Explorer
Explorer
paulbeauchemin,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues and any inconveniences as a result of your concerns with your Hemisphere. If this issue has not been resolved, please contact Miranda Blackburn in our service department by visiting this personalized link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/DirectServiceContact.aspx?ID=636746088283268317.

In order to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible, please use this link to outline your concerns and Miranda Blackburn will respond with 24 hours.

Thank you,
Forest River

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
found issue - broken wire inside a connector near rear tire - thanks for all the help

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Before you spend to much time on searching, make sure the connections in the receptacle and on the plug are clean and give it a good wiggle when its plugged in. Let us know when you solve it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Teamfour wrote:
I just went through this with my F250. Turned out it was a bare brake wire INSIDE the trailer axle. I pulled the wires out and ran new ones in tygon tubing on the outside of the axles. No more issues.

This is a very common problem. Your trailer brake wires are most likely daisy chained so if one has a problem it can take out all 4 brakes. Definitely check for wiring issues, especially a short to ground on the +12V wire.

On an outside chance, are you turning off the truck when you connect the trailer 7-way plug? I'm not sure about Ford, but on some trucks you have to do this or the trailer won't register properly. My friend's 2010 GMC 3500 does goofy stuff if you connect the trailer with the truck running. I've also had odd behavior in my RAM if I connect while the engine is running.

KJ

A short to ground on the +12 volt would or should blow a fuse.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Teamfour wrote:
I just went through this with my F250. Turned out it was a bare brake wire INSIDE the trailer axle. I pulled the wires out and ran new ones in tygon tubing on the outside of the axles. No more issues.

This is a very common problem. Your trailer brake wires are most likely daisy chained so if one has a problem it can take out all 4 brakes. Definitely check for wiring issues, especially a short to ground on the +12V wire.

On an outside chance, are you turning off the truck when you connect the trailer 7-way plug? I'm not sure about Ford, but on some trucks you have to do this or the trailer won't register properly. My friend's 2010 GMC 3500 does goofy stuff if you connect the trailer with the truck running. I've also had odd behavior in my RAM if I connect while the engine is running.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
checked all the wiring - could this be an issue with the TBC?

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer break wire check each wheel, not unusual.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have a wiring problem somewhere in you brake wiring. Try plugging into a different trailer with brakes and see if trailer connected shows up on your dash again. You will then know that the problem is somewhere on your trailer.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely a wiring problem. I just saw this recently when I 'accidentally' pulled my 7 way cable loose from the trailer. When trying to reconnect the wires, I got the turn signals and brake lights working but couldn't get the connection display or actual brakes to work. The problem was one of the white wires being connected improperly. Sounds like you may have a pair that got disconnected in the junction box at the trailer.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Check your wiring to the brakes.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu