cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Sway on Eclipse Evolution 25ft

Awaldow
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I've been dealing with my trailer swaying since taking it off the lot new. I have a 2013 eclipse evolution bunkhouse trailer 25 footer. I had the dealer set me up with a load transfer hitch and friction sway device. I started towing it with a 2010 F150 extended cab truck. It swayed uncontrollably day one driving off the lot. I took it back to the dealer multiple times for the sway issue and they finally said it was my truck. I then bought a new truck/suv (2008 Yukon Denali SLT). The swaying continued and I took it to a different dealer and they took a shot at setting-up the trailer and hitch height. Drove away and it still swayed uncontrollably at speeds above 45 mph. Finally took it back to the original dealer and said "fix it!" They have had it over a month now and said "yes. We towed it with our truck and something is definitely wrong". They contacted eclipse and the dealer said they put undersized drop brackets and suspension on it. The dealer is waiting for eclipse to send the new brackets so they can cut off the old and weld on the new. Whew! My question for the forum is; how safe will my trailer be now that it's been hacked-up and welded on? Why was there no recall? Should I get my lawyer involved since I feel the trailer has significantly lost it's value?
10 REPLIES 10

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
They weighed the tongue and axles... What were the weights?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Frankly, I'm confused. So the drop brackets were wrong and they want to offer you new ones. So what. That has nothing to do with your sway problem, and its the sway we need more detail about.

If actual trailer sway is happening at 45mph, you have serious...SERIOUS issues. And the number one thing to do is know your weights.

What is the actual trailer weight and tongue weight?

What type of WDH are you using? Is it set up per the manual?

^^^^^ This.

Brackets have nothing to do with sway. NOTHING! If they weld them in the same place you will have the same problem.

If they weld them a few inches back it "may" stop the sway depending on the weights and balances of the trailer. I think this is what they may do. If so, your wheels will not be centered in your wheel wells anymore. But this is about the only thing you can do with a poorly designed trailer.

Frankly, IMHO, this shop has no idea of what they are doing.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if the new shackles will also have the leading leaf spring eye lower than
the trailing leaf eye?

Designed a series of trailers for the Navy back in the late 60's while still in
college working part time

First tow with a borrowed dump truck...the trailer swayed badly. Even though the
tongue was hinged and bore no weight on the dump trucks pintle and the axles
were at the front and rear of the 20ft or so trailer length

Called the axle supplier and the engineer talked to got a little irritated with
me, as I was NOT getting it...then he said..."kid you know what caster is?"...sure..."Well
it like that for a trailer axle"

The only change we made was grinding off the rear shackles and lowered the front
eye about 2 inches lower than the trailing leaf eye...and...no more sway...

Why I always setup my trailers with the tongue slightly pointing down...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Awaldow
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Lots for me to ask the dealer about. Will post more when I get answers. Thank you all.

drcook
Explorer
Explorer
Should I get my lawyer involved since I feel the trailer has significantly lost it's value?

You might want to talk to him/her. They might negotiate a better resolution than having new suspension pieces welded on. Without the correct jigs and fixtures, you are dependent on the skill of the person(s) doing the welding to get everything lined up and positioned correctly so that the trailer's suspension will be in line.

A good welder can do the job as good as the factory, but the key is a "good welder", not some underpaid hack who works at the dealership and says he can weld. It would have to be a certified welder doing the job to make sure they don't burn the frame, get brittle welds, get adequate penetration, etc etc.

Just my opinion as this sounds like a serious issue.
2004.5 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison - was an Overheater fixed it!!! Bilsteins, Banks stuff, Hellwig Sway bars front and back
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX

2 Doberman/Rhodesian Ridgeback Crosses - brothers
2 Beagles
1 Shih Poo
1 Shih Tzu
1 Camping Cat
1 wife

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
You got rid of a heavy-half ton truck and got a baby Suburban half ton SUV?
I bet it has P rated tire on it, too.
No wonder nothing improved, IMO.
I believe you should have a 3/4 ton truck with LT tires for that trailer (or any trailer over 19 feet long).
If the suspension was assembled wrong, and the new parts are installed by a competent person, there should be no lessening of value.
Hopefully, it will solve your problems.
good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sway is lack of enough tongue weight and 45 is the magic speed when it starts. Doubt the dealer's truck was a F150 so it's the trailer. What was the tongue weight? Putting new brackets on is not going to hurt the frame but doubt it will help. When it still does it, add 250 lbs of stuff to the front... Problem solved.

*Before putting the new brackets on you need to have the weights and post them here. Moving the brackets/axles back several inches would help solve the problem.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Frankly, I'm confused. So the drop brackets were wrong and they want to offer you new ones. So what. That has nothing to do with your sway problem, and its the sway we need more detail about.

If actual trailer sway is happening at 45mph, you have serious...SERIOUS issues. And the number one thing to do is know your weights.

What is the actual trailer weight and tongue weight?

What type of WDH are you using? Is it set up per the manual?

Awaldow
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the response. Both dealers did weigh it under the wheels and tounge. They then set it up. My family loves the trailer but towing it anywhere has always been a nightmare. Just wondering if the dang thing will be safe after they cut and weld on it.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search on this forum on the word "SWAY" there is a lot of good information.

First off you need to make sure you are not tail heavy. 13% or so of your weight should be on the tongue. Have your rig weighed with the weight distribution hitch connected and disconnected. Too much weight on the rear will be the main cause of sway.