cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transporting Motor for PortaBote

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning. Hubby got on the other day looking at suggestions for transporting our PortaBote but didn't want to attach to TT side. We actually got it into the TT this weekend with no problems whatsoever so it will sit inside during travel. The question now is how to we transport the motor. Hubby read someone said to put it in a garbage can or tall enough bin so it would stay upright and put in bathroom so it wouldn't be able to move around. If there are no other suggestions we may have to do this as we are leaving Saturday. The engine will not fit upright in a can in the back of our truck because we have a truck cap on. Thanks for any other suggestions.

Shari
Keith and Shari
2014 Keystone Summerland 2670BH
32 REPLIES 32

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
Sell the Nissan boat motor and get a boat motor you can lay down while traveling. I know my Honda 2 HP could be stored laid down, as well as my Honda 8 HP.

get a cheap air cooled one if you want to lay it down in any position. if you have a water cooled one I would be sure that ALL water is drained out before storing it on its side.
and you can lay any of them down if you prop the head up so no water can drain into it.
bumpy

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Sell the Nissan boat motor and get a boat motor you can lay down while traveling. I know my Honda 2 HP could be stored laid down, as well as my Honda 8 HP.

glen68
Explorer
Explorer
Fasten a 2x8 to the ladder on the back of the trailer and clamp the motor to it. I did this on a motorhome and it worked great.

Glen
2015 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2011 Honda CRV

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
I don't take my Porta-bote camping, it's still too large and takes up too much space, but I do take it to the lake with my truck and putter around. I use an electric trolling motor. Really slow but I'm not in a hurry and transporting the motor and battery is easy.

I use one of the 2 batteries in my RV and I run it down pretty good but the converter in the coach gets it back in shape in a few hours as does a stand alone charger, either one running off of shore power or the generator. I think it's a viable alternative to a gas powered motor. No odor, no fluids, no noise but not much speed, either.
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Hello I too have a Porta Boat with the 6hp Tohatsu and I do lay mine down not sure about the 3 hp model.

here is a URL to the Yahoo Porta Boat forum some one there may have some answers for you on many issues

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PortaBote/infoPorta Boat

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
You wanted a photo of the bote motor in my car. I just loaded the bote for a 3 week trip to SC state park lakes. Here is the motor and 2 duffel bags with all of the stuff the bote needs in the back of my Subaru Forester.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
CarpFishermanAndWife wrote:
JEBar wrote:
back near the front of the TT, we welded an arch between the two sides of the tongue and hung our Port-A-Bote's motor in the same way it hangs on the back of the boat

Jim

Do you have a pic Jim?

Shari

sorry, I don't and even if we did, I am not able to post pictures on this forum .... that was back in late '02 and I didn't have a digital camera back then .... basically the uprights were 1.5" thick wall box tubing that were welded to the inside of the camper's A-frame tongue .... it was right located beside the battery box .... the cross was a section of treated 2X6" that was bolted to the uprights .... the motor clamped to the treated board just like you attach it to the back of the boat

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not an expert on boat motors but if you have a ladder, hang it on the inside of the ladder if there is room and sit the bottom on a cut out chunk of thick truck tire and secure it on the bumper.
Otherwise get one of those receiver hitches that doubles as a bike carrier and hang it on that. JMO
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
When laying down our 6hp mercury outboard the correct way, the upper part of the outboard(power head) is kept slightly elevated due to the fact that it resting on the throttle arm. As was suggested already cushions or towels could also be used for extra elevation.
E.Lee Galik

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
check out Custom Boat Loaders, in WA I think, looks a lot like the loader that I looked at before. could contact them and see if the motor loader is theirs and still available.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
an outfit that used to be in Montana IIRC and advertised in trailer life, etc., sold car/truck top loaders and they also sold a motor mount that mounted in the rear corner of the pick up bed, would slide out to mount motor on it, then pivot horizontally and slide into truck bed, under your cover.

I have tried to Google this with no luck. Anyone else heard of this or how to find info on it? Thanks!

Shari

do either TL or MH have an on line issue? I think that outfit moved to Oregon or some place and they might have an advertisement in one of the magazines. try to google boat car/truck top loaders. that was their main business.
bumpy

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
an outfit that used to be in Montana IIRC and advertised in trailer life, etc., sold car/truck top loaders and they also sold a motor mount that mounted in the rear corner of the pick up bed, would slide out to mount motor on it, then pivot horizontally and slide into truck bed, under your cover.

I have tried to Google this with no luck. Anyone else heard of this or how to find info on it? Thanks!

Shari
Keith and Shari

CarpFishermanAn
Explorer
Explorer
Keith and Shari

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
The motor is a 3.5 HP & says do not lay flat but some of you are saying you lay it down, but just not flat, correct?

always keep the power head higher than the water/cooling system so the water does not run into the cylinders and ruin it. they are right do NOT lay flat. prop the power head up on some cushions, etc.
bumpy