cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report and need a little pep talk...

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Just back from our Memorial Day camping trip. Left on Saturday, back here by 6 Monday. We have a 2013 Nomad Retro, which is quite short at 20 feet. It's alright for the 4 of us with 2 boys 8 and 6. We tow it with our Nissan Quest minivan, which does fine but is also a daily driver.

So we're from Indianapolis and we knew we wanted to camp this weekend most of the spring. We wanted to go to south of the state and watch the race, but we were too late in booking and EVERYTHING in the state parks were booked.

We settled on Caboose Lake which is a good size campground right off I-65 in the north of the state. We had heard about it at the sport/boat/travel show. They have a huge slide, wanted to do that.

Here's where I need cheering up. The first day was okay, took 2 hours to get there, 1 to setup and stabilize. Then we did the slide and other activities, but it WAS BONE COLD on Saturday. Super cold, so we didn't really have much fun, we were mainly cold. We did cook out for dinner and even made cinnamon rolls in a camp oven, that was a blast.

But, unlike the county campground close to our house or the state parks, everyone at this campground seemed to be seasonals or passers through, no one really to talk to.

We woke up Sunday and toured a near by Dairy farm we had wanted to for a long time. Got back to camp around 2 and conked out.

Then came the rain, it rained till 6:30 PM, we spent from 6 till 7 trying to decide whether to pack up and go home.

We feel like we've become experts on making due in the rain. We have board games, etc, but this is the 3rd time it's rained in the last three trips and it's been cold.

We stuck it out and went out to dinner at Arni's Pizza, one of our favs. Then we woke this morning and packed and left in thE RAIN again. It rained all night and most of today.

So I am feeling dejected. Like we'll never have good weather.

I also feel like camping is really just more rules.

You can't walk here, you can't do this. We hear of people doing ATVs, going hiking, doing all kinds of fun things, but it all seems like stuff we dont' have access to.

We thought that camping would be a good starting point for new adventures, things that you couldn't do from a hotel. But more and more we're finding it's just that much more packing.

I feel like we could have done everything we did this weekend from a hotel just as easy.

What are we doing wrong?
36 REPLIES 36

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar experience over our Memorial Day weekend trip. Friday was nice and sunny but cool. The rest of the weekend either rained or looked like it was about to rain, and chilly. We decided to pack up early and leave on Sunday evening because Monday was supposed to rain all day. We did have some fun here and there but it won't go down as one of our favorite trips.

We've been camping for 11 years now and I'd say 90% of the trips have been great. The other 10%... ehhhh. The weather is so unpredictable here, and we need to make reservations far in advance, so sometimes we are stuck with crummy weather. You just have to make the best of it and remember, even a so-so weekend camping is way better than not ๐Ÿ™‚

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
pk, I feel for you with the run in with the neighbor... You did right and let it go as nothing would have changed anyway, other than you getting your feelings off your chest, but IMO, YOU were the better Man.. ๐Ÿ™‚

As to the wet weekend, I've had quite a few of those. I've packed up and left a day early once or twice myself... Found out it was better weather at HOME, so we left..

We reserve our camping 9 months ahead of time in the State Parks around the state.. Just pick a weekend and make it a 4 day one and hope for the best when that weekend comes! Our first trip of the year was a couple of weeks ago and we went East of the mountains in WA State, so we had a better chance of better weather than they had in the Seattle area... We did too, except it was pretty windy and that made it uncomfortable to sit outside for any length of time.

We don't have any kids to entertain, so our early reservations and what we do in camp are not going to be the same thing you can or want to do, but as was said already.... Make the best of it as you can.. The nice thing with an RV is you can hitch up and go if that's the best option at the time!

Still lots of "Summer" left, so hopefully you have more trips planned this year and can get some good "heat" out of a trip! ๐Ÿ™‚

That's what always keeps me going! I did have one whole season where rain dripped off the awning on every single trip for the whole Summer!! That made it tough to make those new reservations too.. But, once I'm out there, it's still better than doing chores at home! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

rustycopperball
Explorer
Explorer
You are bonding with your family, making memories, don't show the kids negativity
your are going to look back at this and say "hey do you remember that time" good times were had. enjoy it and it will get better!!!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Everything you've said, I've said...and believed! You're right, we work hard all the time and sit at our desks / jobs dreaming about what our camping trip will be like. It's hard for anything to live up to the expectations we build up.

We're in our second year now, and I remember an early trip that was rainy, the trailer rolled off its blocks, I got my arms covered in sewage, and on and on. I cursed under my breath that whole drive home. I had spent all this money, worked all year for a precious few days of camping, and this is what I got?!?! You've got to be kidding me. I was convinced we would sell the trailer...until a few days went by and I could start laughing a little.

Truth is, you'll learn some on every trip, and by the end of a year, you'll be far more equipped for the weather, the neighbors and all the other things that can go wrong.

We just got back from our 5 day Memorial Day trip, and I think it was the first one we've had that was COMPLETELY FANTASTIC! A few have been really close, but this one was beyond anything I'd hoped for.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know Caboose Lake, I pass it if I use US-24 on my trips between Oklahoma and Michigan. I might consider it for an overnight, if that's where my overnight stop fell, and I didn't have kids with me. But it is not really a place for a RV outing that you want to have the feel of a campout, because it is not really a park in the recreational sense, and it is not even a campground. It is a RV park, and if it has long term stays, to that extent it is a trailer park.

When coming through on US-24 with my grandchildren, and needing an eastern Illinois or western Indiana overnight, I try to make that stop at one of the campgrounds at Indiana Beach (Monticello). That's a resort where kids can have some fun on an extended stay. You pay somewhat more, most likely, for the fun. Just as when you go to the state fair, some of the fun is being there, but also some of the fun costs money for the facilities you use and the games you play.

I know some people only have the holiday weekends to work with, but I try to avoid them, rather than add to the crowds. You can go on holiday weekends if you plan, and make reservations, and the crowds sometimes make it all more enjoyable. At our lakefront camping areas, and many of our state parks, all weekends May through October are busy, so going camping is not really a last-minute decision.

I've had rainy campouts. Many were back in my tenting days. We would find things to do in the rain, boots and poncho. A group shelter, a larger open tent or a canopy, can help draw people out of their tents for activities.

I have cancelled camping plans for weather, there are times the weather just gets unsafe. I cancelled (as wagonmaster) our camping club's plans to be at the lake May 20-22, because of the certainty that the weather system coming through would produce severe storms. It produced the Moore tornado, several smaller ones south of this town, and at least one in the area we would have camped. Starting this time of year, and into June and July, you have to deal with those systems in Indiana, Ohio, and southern Michigan.

You have some really good state parks in Indiana (though not free of charge). You need to plan a family outing that will take you to those places, before you give up on RVing or camping as a family activity.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to be Polly Positive to the point of exhaustion but I recall that last year, here in Ohio, our inland lakes were almost unboatable because it was too DRY.

As boater/campers it was not lost on me that we had endless weekends of hot, bone dry weather - and barely any recreational water. We needed rain.

Be careful what you wish for.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
The homemade cinnamon rolls would have made the deal all worth it. What I'd give for a homemade cinnamon roll:E!!! :WYou could mail me one. Hope my wife isn't reading this. I get the mail before she does!!!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

daverich
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading a lot of blogs where people are talking about the wet weather this year. We are also. I am flat tired of rain. Last year was no rain and a lot more fun. Hang in there the summer has not even started yet.

Besides, you are with your family. Many families when they are at home don't see much of each other.

Enjoy the time together even if the weather outside sucks.

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
Thats_Ok wrote:
KFS wrote:
Hon I've endured weekends like that in a TENT.

My point? We LAUGH now.

Give it time and another chance. You will be surprised!

Speaking of tent camping...it can always get worse ๐Ÿ™‚

I had no idea you had photos of that weekend! ๐Ÿ˜‰

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
KFS wrote:

My point? We LAUGH now.

Speaking of tent camping...it can always get worse ๐Ÿ™‚

KFS
Explorer
Explorer

I say that not to one up you but to give you a little perspective. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am also not a "can do cheery" type person. Truth be told, I like to be wet about as much as a cat and can really be quite a witch. The Saturday I spent at a laundromat drying out sleeping bags (my first time ever!) was not filed under "Family Fun."

That said now, looking back a few years, we LAUGH about that weekend. When it was rainy and wet. When we moved the canopy OVER the campfire just so we could say we sat around one. When said canopy dumped what felt like 5 gallons of ice cold water down my back. I could go on.

One of our best camp stories? The huge storm that came in off the lake so fast we had friends hanging on their canopies for dear life (not recommended btw). Friend finally persuaded to save himself rather than the canopy "You have children man!" My friend and I standing in her camper as it rocked in the wind. Six wide-eyed kids staring at us for assurance that everything was fine as we encouraged another round of UNO and wondered if the bathtub in a camper was remotely the same as one in a house in case of a tornado?

My teen son and his invited-along friend wading into lake waves (inland lakes should not HAVE waves) to secure the boat.

My point? We LAUGH now.

It does get better. We have had beautiful, sunny weekends with nothing but blue skies and good times. Those. Are. Fantastic.

The stories we tell around the campfire over and over? The ones I mentioned above ๐Ÿ™‚

As for your kids, the truth is you are better off that he spoke to them BEFORE they hit his belongings with any part of that frisbee. You may not like the delivery but figure it made an impression and your kids now know not to wander into someone else's territory and you don't have someone trying to shake you down for damage. I know it's hard as a mom to hear it but I find sometimes kids listen better to other authority. Mom can say 10x "don't run by the pool" but the Lifeguard's whistle is the gospel. KWIM?

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rain and cold = Carharts and rubber rain gear to wear while fishing, or if there's space, setup an ez up awning by the water to stay dry under while your line soaks in the water. Propane radiant heaters to help keep ya warm.

Same deal outside, bring firewood that's good and dry, setup ez up awnings around fire pit, build giant fire, stay dry under awning while toasting smores.

Rain and cold is a daily life thing in Oregon most of the year.

Also, never go on a holiday, it'll almost always ruin the experience.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
pk,

It's about 250 miles from Indy to the lake Michigan shoreline west of Grand Rapids, MI or about 5 hours driving time. Vist one of the over 2 dozen CG's or state parks cgs in this area and you'll be back like the millions of other RV'ers and visitors do every year after year. So much for kids and entire families to do and not spending a dime if you don't want to or can't.

Vast hiking trails, hundreds of miles of paved safe bike trails, 29 other parks in the area, gorgeous huge pristene beaches, swimming, fishing, huge real sandunes to climb or play on, 7 mile long wide boardwalk along the large Grand River and linear park from the long piers out into Lake Michigan to walk on with clean restrooms and scores of benches along the way, Approx 7/10 mile from the beach to downtown, ships and pleasure boats galore, free daily music entertainment, water sports and kids water parks (adults use them too!), museums, skateboard parks, huge musical fountain performances nightly, very friendly and safe for anyone of any age 24 hrs/day, BB courts, tennis courts, many festivals, farmer's market, much more. ALL FREE! AND don't need to drive as it's walkable even with younger kids. Of course, if desired, you can hop on one of the open air trolleys for I think it's $.50 kids and $1. for adults and ride as long as you want!

Then there's plenty of outdoor cafe's and restaurants if hungry and/or ice cream/snack places and a very clean and prosperous downtown with nice stores to explore or windowshop for both kids and adults, miniature golf, etc. Yes, very clean modern restrooms there also. Not free but you control what you spend. Yes, usually do need CG reservations for waterfront cgs and as early as possible but not for every area CG.

Of course, you can't control the weather and so true this year so far has been the worst we've seen in our 71 years but it will change back to normal as it always does. In downtown etc, the average is 80 daytime and 60 during the night with lots of sun and the town is designated as "Tree City USA" as it's protected by the tall sandunes along the shoreline. Gentle cool breezes of approx 72 degrees are noramally constant all summer long as that's what the water is and A/C is not needed in our homes or in RV's.

There's the huge Michigan Adventure Amusement Park roughly 17 miles north if that's an interest.

Very informative!

http://www.visitgrandhaven.com

Also look at the top 10 on the site.

The site only lists part of what's actually here but sure gives the basics.

You'll see why we live here and have for 71 years and why it's constantly growing and prosperous.

5 hours of driving takes you to a true very pleasant clean affordable RV, boating and resort area but beware as your kids will be bugging you to go back constantly but that's not all bad because you'll want to also!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
You've got a National Forest there in Indiana- use it! "Dispersed camping" is FREE- and even the developed campgrounds are pretty cheap.

Hoosier National Forest Camping

I'm pretty sure, though, that even the U.S. Forest Service can't guarantee good weather...:W
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien