cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

vacation went from almost deadly to lost to saved

tekman741
Explorer
Explorer
I've been doing this rv thing for 3 years now.

1st year blew 4 tires because someone left a 3 sided hitch in the road. 2 on the drivers side, 1 on the passanger side rear and 1 on the trailer(2axles). Limped to the dealer(run flats, AAA will not tow camper even had premium. That was a $1000 plus but we did not flip over or crash plus we made it to the campground.
Lost the keys to the truck just before leaving the house for another trip. Still cannot find them or the spare. Called the local dealer and had 2 keys made= $18 Vacation saved. Not so bad the wife nagged me a for a while. Got to the campsite had to turn the rig round because of the way the site was. The wife blew her top because I did not listen to her while back up in/turning around. Well hard to hear her while she's directly behind the camper(never have spouse help back up someone said on here). I told her if i cannot see you in the mirrors it does not help. Camper next to us was on his picnic bench snickering. I sent her to get pizza and calm down, mean while the kid is screaming just adding fuel to the fire. She leave the guy next door comes over hand me a beer he tells me to sit down take a break and he'll help. 40min later site completely set up she arrive all is blissful. deep sy of relief.

This weekend everything is going well headup to eastern slopes CG in by conway/Glen, NH via rt16=very hilly(whitemountains). Approx. 15miles from CG we hear a high pitch winding noise, while on a 7% down hill. Umm steering feels like there's no power, let me tap the breaks, right to the floor= HOLY CRAP. pray pray pray. trailer breaks yes pulled off sweating shaking. Wife is now 8months pregnant 2yr with us. We are safe she asks what was going on, showed her the fluid on the ground. Called a CG they said call Camping World maybe they can tow camper to CG. Called CW in Conway, NH he gave me a local towing company MT Washington Valley Towing CO. They towed the camper to CG, took the truck fixed the truck in 2.5hr picked me up at CG. $500=vacation went fron deadly to lost to saved. It was a pump on the chevy silverado k3500 that controls both the breaks and steering= NO warning light. He said it was rusted out. I must be heart healthy no heart attack. We had a great weekend after that even though it rained the first day, then went to Storyland=awesome... We are all done for the year, she's ready to pop anytime.
2019 4runner sr5 premium
no camper yet coming soon, other wise tent camping with boyscouts
35 REPLIES 35

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
I do all of the driving until it is time to park then she gets behind the wheel and I direct her into the spot. I have many years directing aircraft movement and am a good judge of turn angles and anticipating movements. Things she just can't do. She steers, I tell her which direction and how much to turn the wheel and we slide it in. We have been doing this for at least 5 years now and I can't remember not getting it where we wanted the first time.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I go a day earlier and set the entire mess up. She guides me into trees, woodpiles, and other obstacles. Doesn't watch both sides, nor dial in where the side tent/awning have to fit. I do it in complete darkness and don't have any problems.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Well ... one thing your experience did re-enforce for me was what you said about AAA help.

I recently dropped them because of a bad RV experience with them.

Hopefully everyone with an RV will stay away from AAA. They are very regional as far as their coverage. found that even with car coverage it varies greatly from area to area, even within a state. Really check them out before you purchase.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Hydroboost. Using the hydraulics from the power steering pump to provide power assist brakes. As opposed to the more common vacuum assisted brakes. Diesels just don't make vacuum to power a vacuum assisted brake set-up.

So as the OP told, if you loose steering, you loose brakes. And the other way around. Two somewhat critical things. The OP must be thanking God after that incident.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
Don't Super Dutys after 2005 also use hydroboost?
:R
Explain what hydroboost is?

timjcarter9
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I use walkie talkies. Works great. Before that she used to stand behind the trailer and yell too. Now she can stand where she likes because I can hear her.

Now we always watch when people back in to see if the wife is standing right behind the trailer giving hand signals and yelling. Gives us a laugh because it is very common.

Glad you saved your vacation.
2003 Avalanche - 4.10 gears
2010 Puma 18DB
Sold - 1973 FMC 2900R

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
fla-gypsy wrote:
The ol' hydroboost failure. Been there and done that! Got rid of the POS GMC with it and never had another truck failure. Kudos to the camping neighbor!

Don't Super Dutys after 2005 also use hydroboost?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well ... one thing your experience did re-enforce for me was what you said about AAA help.

I recently dropped them because of a bad RV experience with them.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
to all the comments about backing up, you are either the entertainment or being entertained. Seriously use your strengths. after years of him ignoring my directions, I said let me back it in. I will go where you tell me to, and if I can't see you or don't think you are seeing a problem I stop. We look like a couple of pros.. no yelling no walkie talkies it works for us!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
tekman741 wrote:
Not so fast waterheater and over the range microwave just crapped out. Heater is leaking from the top=11yrs old and microwave smoked the circuit board.

Doesn't count under your bad luck score.

Those items didn't happen on the road or ruin a trip. They are maintenance items. LOL
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

tekman741
Explorer
Explorer
itscottw wrote:
Wow - it sounds like you have had some interesting trips!

My TV has a key with an embedded chip that is required to start the engine. I had a generic key (without a chip) made for my TV that opens the door, but will not start the engine. I keep this key in a magnetic holder under the TV in case I ever lock my keys in it. If a thief ever finds the key underneath they will only be able to open the doors with it (but not directly start the engine), offering some measure of protection. Of course, any motivated thief will no doubt find a way to steal it regardless.

For backing into campsites my DW and I have a nice system. I primarily use the GOAL method (Get Out And Look), with her there as a backup. The only thing she needs to do is loudly yell STOP if I am about to hit something or to answer any questions I may have (such as does that look good). Of course it helps that I consider myself pretty good at it and typically get my TT backed into spots in only one go. ๐Ÿ˜‰ use the goal that's why I have not, knock wood, hit anything. Her ego gets hit every time I get out, though. I really want her to back it in. It will never happen. I think Santa will bring me a back up camera.

Safe travels!
2019 4runner sr5 premium

tekman741
Explorer
Explorer
Not so fast waterheater and over the range microwave just crapped out. Heater is leaking from the top=11yrs old and microwave smoked the circuit board.
2019 4runner sr5 premium

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Look at this way: You are now "out" of bad luck. Good times ahead!!
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

tekman741
Explorer
Explorer
mguay wrote:
Glad to to hear the boys at MWV Towing got you fixed up! We use the same dispatch company and I'll send them an "at a boy". Glad everyone is ok!
. That would be great Thank Mark and his father and I think his mother or mother in law Sally. The wife will be sending out a thankyou card to them.
2019 4runner sr5 premium