cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicles on Dollies

Dougjpr
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I think I've narrowed my coach choices down, I am thinking about toads.

Can any FWD vehicle be towed using a tow dolly?

Thanks
Doug, Katherine, 93-Patrick, 96-Janelle, 00-Riley & 03 Joseph
2004 Chev Astro
2006 Pilgrim 310RBDS, Reese DC
2007 F-350 Lariat,CC, DRW, PSD, 4.10 LS,tow pkg incl tow command controller, ARP studs and all the other 6.0L joys
8 REPLIES 8

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Dougjpr wrote:
Thanks for replies.

Reason for not looking at towing 4 down is that I may use different vehicles behind coach and don't want to be buying base plates.

Doug

Wise advice
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Front Wheel Drive on a Dolly offers you a lot of choices. As a group, FWD has the highest % chance of being towable on a dolly. Just watch out for the exceptions.

If you're considering towing something like a minivan, be sure the dolly can accommodate its width.

I've been told that a dolly is easier on the vehicle being transported than if it were towed four down, flat, FROG, or whatever not using a dolly's called.

Some dollies are better than others, of course.

Get one with its own brakes.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dougjpr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies.

Was referring to a front wheel drive vehicle

Vehicle being towed on a dolly

Reason for not looking at towing 4 down is that I may use different vehicles behind coach and don't want to be buying base plates.

Of course none of this is an issue at this time as we have not purchased a coach yet

Just tying to research things at this point

Thanks again

Doug
Doug, Katherine, 93-Patrick, 96-Janelle, 00-Riley & 03 Joseph
2004 Chev Astro
2006 Pilgrim 310RBDS, Reese DC
2007 F-350 Lariat,CC, DRW, PSD, 4.10 LS,tow pkg incl tow command controller, ARP studs and all the other 6.0L joys

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't got the toad yet, buy one that can be towed 4 down as is. check the owner's manual to confirm towability, use other sources as a starting point.
bumpy

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"Some here call Dolly Towing TOAD (Two On A Dolly) and Tow Bar Towing FROG (Four Rolling On Ground)."

OK, if you say so. What I have read is that "TOAD" is a variation of "TOWED". The definition of "FROG", however, is correct, although it is rarely used. Most of the time it is referred to as simply "FOUR DOWN" towing. "On a dolly", of course, means exactly that, 2 wheels on a dolly and 2 on the ground.
It is, however, quite true that generalizations are often false. There is almost always an exception or two!
I have heard of a front wheel drive vehicle (sorry, don't remember which one) that apparently had speed sensors on the rear wheels, and so could not be dolly towed because it confused the computer.
I have never seen an Owners Manual for a four wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicle that states dolly towing is OK. Of course, I haven't read ALL of them.
Generally speaking the ONLY four wheel drive (4X4) vehicles that can be towed four down are those which have a NEUTRAL position in the transfer case. However, that is not always true. There is at least one transfer case in older vehicles that must be modified by welding vanes on a gear for splash lubrication before four down towing is attempted. That transfer case has not been in common use since the late 1970s/early 1980s.
ANY vehicle, up to the size/weight limits of the trailer, can be towed on a trailer, IF the ground clearance will allow it to be driven onto the trailer.
ALWAYS read and follow the instructions in the Owners Manual!
Especially if your vehicle is under a manufacturer's warranty.
Some folks say that certain vehicles are towable despite what the manufacturer says in the book. "Why, I have towed my Flashbang Sport for xx thousands of miles, with no trouble at all!" That does not mean that you will be that lucky with YOUR "Flashbang Sport"!
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
dons2346 wrote:
Are you talking about a Four Wheel Drive? If so, the answer is no.

Are you talking about a Front Wheel Drive? Then the answer is yes

Please don't take "a" to mean "EVERY". Not at all sure Every would be correct. Check the Owner's Manual, EVERY time. You don't want to be one of those rare exceptions.

MOST Front Wheel Drive on Dolly... Yes

But All Wheel Drive... No

MOST Four Wheel Drive... These seem to be "all or nothing." Many, maybe most, are OK with all four down (tow bar) or all four up (trailer) but rarely OK with two up and two down (dolly).

Some here call Dolly Towing TOAD (Two On A Dolly) and Tow Bar Towing FROG (Four Rolling On Ground).

OP said "Dolly" but second reply sounds like Tow Bar. Be careful! Transmissions are expensive and trips canceled/delayed are frustrating.

Second response is about
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I "toad" a 1996 Ford Contour FWD with a STICK SHIFT....4 years with no problems. I also "toad" a 2007 Chevy HHR AUTOMATIC for 7 years with no problems.
Currently "toad" a 2011 Ford Ranger Automatic 4WD with no problems.

Just FWIW.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about a Four Wheel Drive? If so, the answer is no.

Are you talking about a Front Wheel Drive? Then the answer is yes