cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

VW Bug

Silver_Eagle_94
Explorer
Explorer
Friend of of mine just bought a 2013 bug,i was sure it can be toad 4 down, but after going thru older post dosen't look like it can be, the bugs i have seen be towed four down must be a little older.
So can you use a tow dolly? im guessing not,as there rear engine and drive, anybody know?
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Scott (FIRE_UP),

I don't disagree with hardly any of what you said, except one point you are wrong about, that we need to clarify:

..And, as far as "Remco" is concerned, well, number 1, they're not providing warranty for any issues related to any problems in drive trains, so, while they might make a lube pump for multiple vehicles, don't rely on them in case things go way south.

Remco most certainly DOES provide warranty for issues related to drive train. I have one of their lube pumps installed on our Kia Sedona van we tow flat. The warranty paperwork I got from Remco shows that they warranty the transmission for 40,000 miles (IIRC) from the time the pump is installed.

Like any other warranty, there is a bunch of 'fine print', disclaimers, etc. However, fact is they do warranty your transmission, should it fail after one of their lube pumps is installed.

This isn't directly related since it wasn't a transmission failure, but a few months ago we did get to test out Remco's warranty. The lube pump started leaking tranny fluid. RV dealer contacted Remco about it, they (Remco) acknowledged the problem, and promptly shipped the dealer a new (better designed) pump. Remco also paid the RV dealer's labor to remove old pump and install the new one. Didn't cost me one penny.

Will

Will,
Yes Sir, now that I remember, I do recall the "40,000 mile thing". But, if I also recall, our Grand had 50K on it and so, even if I were in favor of using those pumps, which I'm personally dead set against, their 40K thing would not have helped in making my decision. Lots of folks have used those pumps and, I suspect without too many failures. The trans in that Grand was/is about a $3500.00 trans so, I just can't bring myself to trust that pump. It's just me. Knowing my luck, it (the trans) would lock up, because of that pump failure, eighty million miles into nowhere and there I'd (we'd) be.

So, while a possible severe cost difference, a trade for a 4WD Grand would have been in the works if it had not been for seriously terrible gas mileage those get, (we know, we've owned two of them). So, we went with the factory authorized towable, Honda CR-V EXL.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scott (FIRE_UP),

I don't disagree with hardly any of what you said, except one point you are wrong about, that we need to clarify:

..And, as far as "Remco" is concerned, well, number 1, they're not providing warranty for any issues related to any problems in drive trains, so, while they might make a lube pump for multiple vehicles, don't rely on them in case things go way south.

Remco most certainly DOES provide warranty for issues related to drive train. I have one of their lube pumps installed on our Kia Sedona van we tow flat. The warranty paperwork I got from Remco shows that they warranty the transmission for 40,000 miles (IIRC) from the time the pump is installed.

Like any other warranty, there is a bunch of 'fine print', disclaimers, etc. However, fact is they do warranty your transmission, should it fail after one of their lube pumps is installed.

This isn't directly related since it wasn't a transmission failure, but a few months ago we did get to test out Remco's warranty. The lube pump started leaking tranny fluid. RV dealer contacted Remco about it, they (Remco) acknowledged the problem, and promptly shipped the dealer a new (better designed) pump. Remco also paid the RV dealer's labor to remove old pump and install the new one. Didn't cost me one penny.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
gasser9 wrote:
Does Remco or someone build a transmission pump for the VW. I know a lot of then are out there. They also build a drive shaft disconnect for rear wheel drive vehicles. Either one is fairly reaonable,. usually less than a dolly anyway

I wondered the same thing when this thread first came up, so I checked Remco's web page as did a previous poster.

Remco (pretty much the only company that makes tranny lube pumps for this purpose) does not list/recommend a lube pump for the VW beetle. Since its front wheel drive, a drive shaft disconnect isn't going to be an option, either.

Unless the VW Beetle in question has the manual tranny, pretty much a dolly or flatbed is going to be the only option here. Does sound like there are lots of folks out there flat towing these cars OK with the manual tranny, though.

Mowermech makes an excellent point about manual transmissions, and how they are lubed inside. Wonder if there's any way to find out how VW's manual transmissions are lubed inside? Would definitely be something I'd want to research before towing it.

Will

Will,
As I stated in my post, there are many folks towing them and, many of them have gone to a dealer, managed to get to the transmission tech and ask direct questions and get direct answers. Do not, REPEAT, DO NOT talk with a service rep or, sales person. Unless THEY used to be a transmission tech and then moved on to sales or service writer position, they are 100% clueless.

Again, even though you, or anyone on here might talk to a tech and, the tech might tell you it's perfectly fine for the Beetle or, Jetta, or Passat to be flat towed as long as it's the stick version, that, in no way is a LEGAL authorization for flat towing any of their products. You do so at your own risk! I've talked with more than one who've purchased brand new Beetles and immediately went out and installed base plate and towed them across country without a single issue.

And they were not concerned about warranty. But, that of course, is up to them and you, should you decide to do it. And, as far as "Remco" is concerned, well, number 1, they're not providing warranty for any issues related to any problems in drive trains, so, while they might make a lube pump for multiple vehicles, don't rely on them in case things go way south. And, since the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing in that company, I'd check with other owners of the same vehicle you're planning on adding any of their products to.

The main reason, in their website, they stated our 2007 Grand Cherokee Overland TWO WHEEL DRIVE, IS FLAT TOWABLE with the drive shaft disconnect. Well, that drive shaft in those versions of the Grand, is a 6" diameter aluminum drive shaft and no one's ever seen a disconnect for it. I called numerous installers and not one of them ever did, or even knew of a disconnect for that application. So much for Remco being accurate. But, that's another point.

Anyway, based on NOT ONE report of any damage to any stick shift operated late model VW so far, I'd have no problems setting one up for towing. But, I'm the one taking the risk. So, I'd be the one paying if anything should go south.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
gasser9 wrote:
Does Remco or someone build a transmission pump for the VW. I know a lot of then are out there. They also build a drive shaft disconnect for rear wheel drive vehicles. Either one is fairly reaonable,. usually less than a dolly anyway

I wondered the same thing when this thread first came up, so I checked Remco's web page as did a previous poster.

Remco (pretty much the only company that makes tranny lube pumps for this purpose) does not list/recommend a lube pump for the VW beetle. Since its front wheel drive, a drive shaft disconnect isn't going to be an option, either.

Unless the VW Beetle in question has the manual tranny, pretty much a dolly or flatbed is going to be the only option here. Does sound like there are lots of folks out there flat towing these cars OK with the manual tranny, though.

Mowermech makes an excellent point about manual transmissions, and how they are lubed inside. Wonder if there's any way to find out how VW's manual transmissions are lubed inside? Would definitely be something I'd want to research before towing it.

Will
Will and Cheryl

gasser9
Explorer
Explorer

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
For those who use the "most" word, keep in mind that many front engine rear wheel drive cars have a manual transmission that requires the cluster gear to rotate to splash the lubricant to all the internal parts. The cluster gear on many of these transmissions rotates ONLY when the input shaft is turning. When being towed, the output shaft bearing and seal, and the center mainshaft needle bearings will not get any lubricant. Eventually, they will dry out, overheat, and self destruct. It may take a while, in fact it could conceivably take several hundred miles, perhaps thousands, but eventually it WILL happen.
With luck, you won't own the car when it finally does.
Front engine/front drive or rear engine/rear drive transaxles are, of course, entirely different. I remember my 1963 Corvair 4 speed could be towed, but I had to run the engine in neutral for 5 minutes every 250 miles to circulate the lubricant. I towed it from Montana to Seattle in 1968.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RicoSuave
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto. Been towing 2006 Beetle convertible w/5spd for several years. Dealer said VW does not endorse towing. New models still use the same drive trains but now also offer tdi. I have 5cyl and it tows easy and has phenomenal power.
Richard and Iris
Puddles (Shih-Tzu)
2005 Coachmen Aurora 3480DS
2006 VW Beetle conv. & 2008 Wrangler X Toads

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Many auto manufacturers have taken this strategy. While "most" manual transmission vehicles can be towed with little risk, the manufacturers have covered themselves should anyone bring a failed tranny in on a car with a baseplate installed.

This is especially true where a specific setup process needs to be followed prior to towing, since there is no way whatsoever to tell if it was followed or not (e.g. Hondas with auto trans). By declaring that towing in not allowed, they have made warranty claims impossible. The risk transfers 100% to the car owner. So........ What's our tolerance for risk? ๐Ÿ˜‰

FIRE UP wrote:
Well folks,
First off, Volkswagen of America authorizes NO MODELS OF VOLKSWAGEN, STICK, AUTO, MODEL, ETC. TO BE FLAT TOWED, PERIOD!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well folks,
First off, Volkswagen of America authorizes NO MODELS OF VOLKSWAGEN, STICK, AUTO, MODEL, ETC. TO BE FLAT TOWED, PERIOD! If you look at the Dinghy towing guides, ANY YEAR, you'll see VW has no entries at all. And, yes, those "Bugs" are front wheel drive. They've been front wheel drive since around '97 when the new models came out. And, for those of you that have been hiding for that long, they've also had what's called a "TDI" diesel engine in them for that long too. Those TDI engines are seriously powerful and, in the stick versions, they almost never fall below 40-42 mpg in the city!!! They destroyed the competition way back in the late 90s and into the early 2000s.

We've owned two of those TDI bugs and the power they have is phenomenal and, all the while getting that good of mileage. But, the main reason you see anyone towing an late model VW, of any model, that is, a Passat, a Bug, a Jetta etc. is because of two main reasons.

One, the ones that are all being FLAT TOWED are all sticks! The second reason is, the owners have taken it upon themselves to make the command decision to tow them. I've PMd many, and talked with many out on the road who tow the late model VWs and asked them about the situation.

Quite a few of them have actually gone to the dealership, pried there way into talking to a transmission tech and asked them about towing the stick version of the new VWs. The techs have given them direct answers stating that there would be no damage to the transmissions, OF STICK VERSIONS for flat towing. But, that does not authorize the units to be towed. So, the owners just get the base plates and the rest is history.

Just because Blue Ox or any other manufacturer makes a base plate for a certain vehicle, that does not make ok to FLAT TOW IT. Of the many I've talked with, NONE of them have had any issues with towing the later model VWs, again, any model that's a manual transmission version that is.

If VWOA were to authorize them to be flat towed, we'd have not purchased the 2011 Honda CR-V 4WD for a toad. We'd have purchased the Jetta Sport wagon with the TDI diesel. We still might someday, the h.. with the dealer and VWOA. The only sacrifice is, we'd have to have a stick. And no, no dollies, or trailers.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Roadmaster sells a baseplate for the 2013 beetle, so it apprears to be possible ---- LINK

I would investigate further before investing itn it, but this is a good place to start. I don't see any baseplates offered by Demco or Blue Ox.....
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
..This post had me curious, so I just checked - The VW beetle for 2013 is front wheel drive, NOT rear wheel. Just as they've been ever since Volkswagen first started building the modern version of the beetle in the 90s. You won't get a rear wheel drive beetle without going waaay back to the classic, old beetles.

I believe the OP just assumed it was rear wheel, since the old ones from way back when were that way. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, I'd have them check the owner's manual on the Beetle and see what it says, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to flat tow one of the new beetles, unless it has the manual transmission. Dolly is a definite possibility since its front wheel drive, but again, need to check owner's manual for it to be sure.
Will and Cheryl

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
I know you could 4 down a 2000 Beetle with manual transmission - ran into a guy a few years ago with one setup. I have seen some newer ones, but not a 2012 or 2013.

Have not seen anyone with a 2013, but with the new body style, may not have a tow bar yet available.

Even my 66 and 74 (both original rear engine/trans style) you can 4 down with the right tow bars.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

Silver_Eagle_94
Explorer
Explorer
I did not know they changed them, Ihave never look close at the new ones, they probly did change them, guess i better go to town and look if i am going to try and help this guy out.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
2013 bugs rear engine and drive? Really? Must be a brand new design, since they've been front engine and front drive since the New Beetle was introduced, what, back about 1990.

The original Beetle was rear engine/drive, and air cooled as well. I wonder if they've gone back to that, too. Dang, it's hard to keep up with automotive technology these days. I'll have to swing by the VW dealer and have a look at the newly redesigned Bug. I wonder what engine they put in it?