cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wall fasteners

VagabondRetiree
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an easy method to attach items to walls, both inside and out? Inside we'd like to hang frames or maybe shelves. Outside I want to add a bigger TV mount. I'm afraid if I drill I could cut into plumbing, airing, shower wall, etc.
8 REPLIES 8

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV "Oscar" rivets, otherwise known as blind rivets, work well for light to medium weight items and are very strong. I've used them for towel bars, TP holders, coat hooks, etc. For medium - heavy items, secure to studs. A nice thing about these rivets is that they have a rounded head and shouldn't damage wiring or penetrate piping. Just drill a hole deep enough to go through the 1/8" luan plywood.

Wood screws can be used for lightweight items.

You can drill a small dia. hole like 1/16" or less and push the drill through by hand, or a piece of wire or small nail to see if it hits anything. A small dia. hole won't be very visible if you have to abandon it. If you have a fiberglass sided unit, there may only be studs/framing in the 4 corners and nothing in between. Interior studs can be found by pressing against the wall until the luan doesn't flex. Then look for the tell-tale tiny staple holes running vertically. You will also find a thin tape over the luan where adjoining sheets butt together.

In some cases, you can pull off a light switch, thermostat, receptacle, etc. to see what is inside a wall cavity. Interior partition walls are typically 1 - 2 1/2" thick. Look for plumbing vents on the roof and they will give you an idea where they will be inside an interior wall.

Or do what the factories do - use a couple of itty-bitty, teeny-weeny U-shape staples. :R I've found a lot of sharp pointed #8 x 1" screws rammed into walls and ceilings with little regard for what is behind them.

VagabondRetiree
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help everyone

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
We use Command Hooks for hanging light weight stuff inside our TT. They're very easy to apply and remove. We hang pictures, clock, decorations, etc.
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
For pictures we use 3M adhesive velcro. It's the stuff that will pull off and not leave a mark. Pictures stay tight on wall and don't move around on rough roads.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us just to be safe with the thin RV walls I would do the 3/4-inch back-board idea behind what heavy items I wanted to hang...

Something like this google image shows...

If I couldn't find a stud somewhere i would use the MOLLY BOLT that opens up behind the wall and will hold just about anything. Then you can just use wood screws into the hanging back-board...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
For light weight items we use the 3M removable hooks or expandable inserts with screws for permanent items.

For a TV you'll need to locate studs and use a bracket system that will distribute the weight. You do need to figure out if there are any wires or plumbing... A stud finder can help if you know what you are doing.

If there is a storage compartment below where you want to mount the TV it may be as simple as looking up in the compartment to see if there are obstructions in the way.

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

To find studs you need the proper weather conditions.. In the morning, after "dewfall" there is often a short period of time when the "Ribs" as it were are clearly seen, Streatch a long tape measure along the side and PHOTOGRAPH.

Never thought of using the dew as marking. I do like that last word PHOTOGRAPH. At least you won't forget.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First thing is to learn where YOUR plumbing goes. (mine goes low, along the floor wall junction, so odds of hitting plumbing other than the stink pipes, very low)...

Electrical is another concern.

Suggest NOT hanging outdoor TV.

Most RVs the walls (interior) are not really good for hanging stuff less you can find the studs (easy to do in some areas) and drill into them.. If you drill into a stud you will NOT be hitting anything other than stud.

To find studs you need the proper weather conditions.. In the morning, after "dewfall" there is often a short period of time when the "Ribs" as it were are clearly seen, Streatch a long tape measure along the side and PHOTOGRAPH.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times