cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

walmart overnight parking

turtlerb
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a link or knowledge of which Walmart's allow overnight camping?
33 REPLIES 33

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
ajk170, Thank you for the advice on "The Next-Exit" could be useful on our upcoming trip to Texas.

just got it installed on tablet as well as it will remain in the truck.. Thanks again.

ajk170
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled up to Gatlinburg over the 2016 Columbas Day weekend and we called the Walmart in Newberry, SC (off of exit 76 on I-26) and spoke to the assist store manager (I asked for the store manager) and he responded with, "...we normally don't allow any overnight, but you can park on the southside." We skipped that one and drove onto Cosby, TN and saw campers at the Walmart off I-40 at exit 435. Stayed there with no issues and went in the next morning to pick-up a few things as well.Overall, a good experience partly due to "The Next Exit" as guide to know where to stop and Walmarts for allowing overnight.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not, we stayed at a Walmart in 2011 that had never had an overnighter and didn't know what to say to us. The manager finally called another store and asked what the policy was. It was October in New England, raining and we were unable to find an open campground.

There was a Home Depot next door with WiFi and a couple of trailers were parked there. WiFi was fast and gave us a chance to catch up with emails and the Journal.

We were treated so nice there that we did stock up on stuff before leaving but, I made my own coffee, raining to had at 5:30 to walk over to the store.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Try the RV Parky App it shows the ones that do and don't allow overnight parking.

I have that app also, just realized they show that...must be something new they've added. Funny my local Walmart is listed that it doesn't allow overnite parking but there are semis parking in the lot every nite.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
Remembering that I had left my weather station sending unit hanging from a tree two states before, we stopped at a Walmart somewhere in Nebraska to get a new one. Huge place and I think I was maybe one of three other customers in the whole store. I got to talking to someone in the area where they sell RV stuff and I asked about how they handle overnight parking. I was told that they did not have a policy as this was not a problem for them, but they were coming under pressure from the sheriff. The employee had started something as a suggestion and his boss was going to look into it. He showed me a sample laminated pass card that after paying a token $5 deposit, the RV owner would put it in the window to show the sheriff that 'permission' was granted. Each card was numbered. The card was returned for a refund of the deposit. His idea was maybe by doing this, it would make the RVer come into the store at least twice and maybe spend some money, not to mention keep the sheriff happy. He told me he got the idea from working at a gas station/convenience store where the gas pumps always seem to be out of receipt paper and that would force the customer to come into the store and maybe stock up on Slim Jim's and chips. I guess it would not hurt if the overnighter took off before the store opened. I look for that young man to someday be the store manager.

Anyway, I just checked the list that includes about one in five Walmarts across the country: no overnight parking. Guess what? The Walmart down the block from me is on the no parking list. Apparently, enforcement is not a high priority. On the list is nearly all the Walmarts in Oregon that a traveler would stop at.

http://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts/
Steve

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've overnighted at Walmart, and not spend a penny. I've also been called a cheapskate, right here on the rv.net forum. I've even been told the Walmart etiquette rules. But, I prefer to follow Walmart's rules.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Flarpswitch
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of weeks ago, we pulled into a truck stop for dinner. We pulled closed the cab shades so the dog would not spend his time barking at 'intruders'. When we returned after dinner, we found a Nasty-gram stuck to the door that stated that overnight parking was not allowed and our RV was subject to being towed. I would not be surprised if the RV was towed while we were at dinner, because this part of the world is littered with contracted towing companies that will impound vehicles if you violate posted parking rules or if you are late by even a minute for paid parking. On one occasion in another city, I got back to my car with just a minute to spare on prepaid parking. While waiting for the rest of my party, I saw a tow truck hitch up to a car just seconds after the top of the hour. It looked like that car was chosen because it was parked in a spot that made the process quick and easy. I don't doubt that the tow truck made a return call soon after.

The Walmart just down the block from my house usually has a handful of trucks either taking a break or stopping for a longer stretch when they run out of hours. This is the way it started out when Sam Walton was still around. The majority of the 'overnight' campers are essentially homeless people that are one step up from living in a cardboard box. It is that bad. To avoid problems, they will move to another Walmart in their rotation.

Other than using any private business parking for a rest stop, extended stays are 'Low Rent'. I share this opinion with lots of people. Personally I have spent more on RVs and the associated expenses over the years than on houses. If I can afford to do that, then at least I can plan to stay at a place intended for RVs. Again, an opinion. Now, I do not discount that despite a flight plan, things don't work out and you have to make an emergency landing. And, I suppose that means a Walmart Parking lot. But, including Walmart in your travel plans is again, "Low Rent." During blizzard conditions in central Pennsylvania, we had to get off the road and spent the night in a shopping center lot out of the way, moving once to allow for plowing during the night. Other times, it is rest stops that have posted hours or truck stops. Maybe the homocide that occurred at the nearby Walmart is yet another reason that even during broad daylight I look over my shoulder when I go there.

If you look close enough you can find places that are free or inexpensive. As an example, in California it was getting late and we just could not go on. My wife found a county park that had a number of spaces with no hookups. Very nice and just a few bucks and seniors get a discount as well. To save even more money, there is a parking lot used for day use, boat trailers and transient campers. There is a dump station and clean water for registered campers. The campground is patrolled by the county sheriff at night. These sort of places are not that hard to find even at 10 PM if you just look. It sure beats Walmart all to heck. In my book, if Walmart is where you just have to be, then that's the way it is. I just won't put it in my itinerary.

I just happened to see this when I did a search for the subject of overnights in parking lots. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? It sound like a good idea. I could provide water, 30 Amp electric and a dog run at my house, but I think if I suggested that to my wife, that would start something.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com
Steve

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
joanne0012 wrote:
I always call ahead, as noted earlier you never know when a policy has changed due to anything from new local regulations or maybe parking-lot repaving.

But I don't understand this insistence on talking to the "manager." Surely he or she has better things to do, and surely all the employees know their store's policy. I just call the store's phone number and ask the person who answers the phone, "Does your store allow overnight parking for customers who have RVs?" This has never gone wrong.

Hmmmm.... must be a first time for everything, huh!

Surely *all* the employee's do *NOT* know the policy..:(

Didn't call the employee I asked -face to face- "Shirley" , either!

Maybe the others asked to move by security at closing time (Pismo Beach, CA) asked the same guy?...:@

No big deal, it's their pk lot - and I still wouldn't bother the manager.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Hey that's interesting. The filter replaced my words 'Quality Merchandise' with 4 asterisks in my above post!

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
But I don't understand this insistence on talking to the "manager." Surely he or she has better things to do, and surely all the employees know their store's policy. I just call the store's phone number and ask the person who answers the phone, "Does your store allow overnight parking for customers who have RVs?" This has never gone wrong.

Your way is the best and I agree the manager has better things to do. Its one of the made up Walmart rules like 'make sure you go in and buy something'. I buy enough **** off them during the entire year as it is.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

joanne0012
Explorer
Explorer
I always call ahead, as noted earlier you never know when a policy has changed due to anything from new local regulations or maybe parking-lot repaving.

Joanne

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Nephew is a store manager and he sez , do not ask me , just park out off the way ! If the city does not like it we will ask you to move . Corporate policy bows to local ordinances .

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Agree

I don't think I've ever stayed at Walmart overnight for less than 25-----30 bucks

It aint free
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart is by far the most expensive campground I've ever stayed at. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln