cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wasp nest in a/c unit, how would you deal with it?

White_Knight_II
Explorer
Explorer
I was up on the roof of the fifth wheel cleaning today and found a wasp nest approximately one foot in diameter, mostly inside the cover. I've dealt with nests underneath, where a person can spray the nest, and run like heck, and repeat until all are dead. I'm pretty sure I don't want to try that on the roof. I might wait until freezeup and take care of it once they go into hibernation. Any suggestions?
20 REPLIES 20

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get a Shop vac hose close to the entrance put an inch of water in the shop vac and a bit of dish detergent. Let it run for an hour. You will have most of them doing the backstroke in the shop vac. Then blast away.

Tape down the hose.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Drive to Alaska they should die pretty quick. Good road trip excuse.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
I use a shop vac to deal with wasp nests.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wasp Spray.....shoots 10'
Stand on ladder and BLAST away. Have backup can if your afraid :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Sevin powder. Dust it liberally in and around the entrance to the nest--a plastic ketchup bottle works well--and the wasps will be dead in a couple of days. The advantage is that, unlike the sprays, it does not enrage the wasps, they just go on about their business, tracking the Sevin in to the nest where it kills them all.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
I deal with bees nest all summer. Spray it and walk away. No need to run if you soak it thoroughly.