cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water from RV

Grumpa
Explorer
Explorer
Do you or not drink water from the RV water system,clean sanitized?
47 REPLIES 47

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
The water source. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Places we camp, water can be sourced from a nearby municipal water system, a lake, or wells in the park, and water quality can vary considerably. Ontario Parks still posts boil water advisories for some parks in the system that aren't drawing from a nearby municipal system.

This point actually should be a different thread. "Do you drink the water from where you are camping?"

We drink the water from our tanks, but do not always drink the water from where we are camping. That is a separate issue.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Just bottled water or machine bought refilling stations for us. Remember as you travel the country water quality is different and it's an easy way to get stomach issues. Who needs that when you're on the road when a $10/week investment will eliminate it.

Also, some of the older parks used black grade agricultural pipes as their source of water to the campsites. Just because your tank might be pristine, does not mean the filling station is.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Of course we drink the water from the tank.

When meeting people that are squeamish about water I always remind them that there is no "new" water. The earth still has the same water it had in the beginning. That tall cool glass of water you drink today was urine last month.

Sure there is ... it's the path that water takes to get to you that makes it "new". :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Of course we drink the water from the tank.

When meeting people that are squeamish about water I always remind them that there is no "new" water. The earth still has the same water it had in the beginning. That tall cool glass of water you drink today was urine last month.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
What makes the tank any different than the 50 year old pipes coming into your house?

jfkmk wrote:
No air in the pipes.

The water source. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Places we camp, water can be sourced from a nearby municipal water system, a lake, or wells in the park, and water quality can vary considerably. Ontario Parks still posts boil water advisories for some parks in the system that aren't drawing from a nearby municipal system. From experience we know our dog reacts badly whenever his water bowl doesn't contain water from home that he's used to and we prefer the consistency as well so any water we ingest we bring from home in portable containers. Tank water is used for showering, washing dishes, and feeding the toilet.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, don't drink directly from the camper's water system. Not because of any possible disease (I sanitize every spring when opening up the camper, really easy to do, why would anyone not do it?), but because it has a plastic flavor that has just never gotten out of the system. We camp about 4 or 5 weekends a year during the summer, so the camper many times will sit weeks at a time unused during the summer.

All we do is use a Brita slim water filter jug that fits in the frig. Simple, good tasting filtered water. We refill water bottles all the time with the filtered water. I will also bring one of those orange 5 gallon water coolers filled with ice and water if I think we might want it.

A critical ingredient of good coffee is clean clear cold water. If I don't have access to a natural mountain spring (which is essentially never), I used refrigerated filtered water. Even with "city" water - I am so used to filtered well water, that the amount of chlorine in city water is amazing. I kind of think city water does work great for camper water systems, though, because of all that chlorine - practically the same as sanitizing the system.

For people who use their camper constantly, or fulltime in it, I can see where there is no need worry about the water system as it is being used regularly.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always. I sanitize when dewinterizing and again in the middle of summer, it sometimes sits for a month in the heat.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't drink the tank water.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
What makes the tank any different than the 50 year old pipes coming into your house?

No air in the pipes.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We drink from our onboard tank and have for many years without incident.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Of course, we use it for everything. By the way, I removed the filter cartridge after I got the rig home and have never replaced it. I did sanitize it about a year after I got the rig, but never did that again. We've got 74,000 miles on the rig, less than 3 1/2 years old
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We drink from our onboard tank and have for many years without incident.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sure do! Like others stated above, sanitized the tank the first time when we got the camper and then never again. I might have sanitized a couple other times, like after the winter we had to store it at the in-laws farm. I decided to sanitize when we got it back home, only because I had no control when it was there and they had a lot of visitors and family all the time. I didn't want to take chances that someone might have done something (mischievous) to the tank.

I also have this tank for transporting water when we don't have water on the camp site. I sanitized it... well ... when I took this photo and never again. It gets a quick rinse after sitting all winter and I keep using it.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
YEP.......fill up fresh water tank and USE it for everything.....drinking, cooking, washing, showering, flushing etc.

Water comes from a 'tested' source....even when it is well water.
I don't get water from a stream or lake

Sanitize.
Once...when I first get rig---new or used and then that is it.
UNLESS an issue happens. But having had that in 40 yrs.
Cause I don't get water from a stream or lake :B

Same here, except sanitize annually when de-winterize in the spring.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board