cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump won't pull Antifreeze from the jug.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Tried winterizing today. Got the Camco Water pump converter kit. Water pump won't pull Antifreeze from the jug.

Shurflo pump.

Any ideas, tips.

Thanks.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500
17 REPLIES 17

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
A pump with priming trouble needs a new rubber membrane.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I just added the winterizing bypass valve to my TT, had the same problem no matter what I tried, by myself. I ended up opening the selected valve, turn on the pump and hold the hose with a very small funnel on it and poured in the antifreeze. PITA but it worked. Just ordered a pair of spigots that are used for home brewing beer that are for installing in 5 gallon buckets. THAT I will use as my TT antifreeze Water pump IV.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the same problem on occasion. My solution was to keep water in the Fresh Water Tank, which we use exclusively, then switch the valves to Winterize and the pump works just fine. If I dump the FW tank before winterizing I sometimes have to prime the pump as described above.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stranger wrote:
old guy wrote:
When mine does that I use a funnel and pour the anti freeze into the pick up hose once the pump is primed it will pull from the jug

Tried that. Pump does not shut off. Can't get the hose into the jug.

Turn pump off. Pour in antifreeze. Put hose in antifreeze jug keeping hose full. Turn on pump (with hose still full of antifreeze).
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
When mine does that I use a funnel and pour the anti freeze into the pick up hose once the pump is primed it will pull from the jug

Tried that. Pump does not shut off. Can't get the hose into the jug.
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
The only time I have ever had a problem drawing water from the water tank below the floor or from the jug of antifreeze when winterizing was due to a joint upstream of the pump leaking and drawing air not allowing the pump to pull the liquid.

Once I tightened the hose clamps or retaped the joints the pump pulled the liquid fine.

Don't forget to retighten the strainer bowel too.

We just came back from dry camping for 3 days,water pump on continuously for the ice maker. Cycled normally. On during use, off when taps closed.

Teflon taped pump inlet and adapter valve threads, also the strainer's male threads.
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I have ever had a problem drawing water from the water tank below the floor or from the jug of antifreeze when winterizing was due to a joint upstream of the pump leaking and drawing air not allowing the pump to pull the liquid.

Once I tightened the hose clamps or retaped the joints the pump pulled the liquid fine.

Don't forget to retighten the strainer bowel too.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Yes to all the above, except for the compressor idea. I used the funnel, pump was trying to compress the air in the system. Had to run inside and then open a faucet.
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue. Replaced the pump. No joy. Works fine for water use. I ended up first draining the system by use of the low point drain (in my case the shower head on the ground), and then using a jump starter with an air pump to blow out all the lines. I give it 10 seconds to come up to pressure, then I open it quickly. I do it 3-5 times per line. Ended up being cheaper than pink pop. Still have to do the drains though.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
jrs1871 wrote:
Since we don't use the water pump a lot, we always have to prime it when we winterize. Get a small funnel and pour antifreeze into the intake tube while running the pump. After you have antifreeze going through the pump, put the intake tube into the jug. It takes a bit, but has always worked for us.
this is what I have to do to one of our TT's

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Since we don't use the water pump a lot, we always have to prime it when we winterize. Get a small funnel and pour antifreeze into the intake tube while running the pump. After you have antifreeze going through the pump, put the intake tube into the jug. It takes a bit, but has always worked for us.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you did put it on the input side of the pump? do to design/construction I had to mount mine on the output side and then used a boat bilge pump to force AF in. and of course you had the valve turned the correct way?
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer