cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what a morning

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
Today was the D day to fix our slide. One of our slides didn't work and my handy husband said so problem he'll fix it. He found the leak in the hydro hose, no problem said he. About an hour later I went out to see how things were going. Not too good. Needed my helping hand. The hose was snaked all along the frame and he had to cut a few holes until he found the right one. Well I will say he is handy and we got the hose out. Attached string to both ends so we can put the new hose in. Could not find a camping dealer around here who had the hose. Called a hydro hose maker and he told us bring the old one and he would make us a new one. What my DH said would be a ten min. job turned out to be 3 hours. So tomorrow we will go to the hose maker and hope for the best. Even with tarps on the muddy ground it was a mess. Wish us luck.
Southbound
7 REPLIES 7

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
Waterbug please see my update on 9 11 thank you
Southbound

southbound
Explorer
Explorer
Just read what waterbug said and my husband says that would work since the hole is at the end. Will take it down to the shop and have the hose cut and the fitting put on . Thank you for the tip, this sure will save us a bunch of money. We are lucky that hose seems to be extra long. The hose was wound all through the framing to take up all the extra slack. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks again
Southbound

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
Depending on the condition of the hose, it may be cheaper to cut the existing hose, at the leak, and install a coupling on each cut end. You are going to pay for fittings on each end of the new hose anyhow and you won't have to buy any hose. I learned that when a fan belt cut into a hydraulic hose on a 2 year old tractor.

Water-Bug, That's a pretty good idea! Thanks for that.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the condition of the hose, it may be cheaper to cut the existing hose, at the leak, and install a coupling on each cut end. You are going to pay for fittings on each end of the new hose anyhow and you won't have to buy any hose. I learned that when a fan belt cut into a hydraulic hose on a 2 year old tractor.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Why did the hose leak? Did it have a hole worn in it? It is common on various types of equipment if it has been rubbing anywhere. You can use pieces of Heater hose cut to length and slit so as to slip over the hose. You may use other things like pipe insulation to protect it in critical areas. Zip ties will hold it on.

If its the shiny plastic type of hose it wont tolerate sharp bends as well as wire reinforced rubber hose. I would guess that it's the shiny plastic hose as it's usually less expensive.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's like a S&B, nothing is easy, nothing is simple.
Murphy strikes again. ๐Ÿ™‚

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Just think what three hours of shop labor cost.