cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Y adapter for fresh water at park water supply post?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby is wanting to put a Y adapter on the park water supply so that he can have both the gray hose & white hose hooked up at the same time. (This would be when we might need to drain & flush tanks during a long stay so that we don't need to disconnect the fresh water.) Do you see any concerns with cross contamination with doing this? Thanks!
36 REPLIES 36

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, then your dinner plans are all set I guess.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

If you use the 2nd hose to flush the tank put a quick disconnect on the flusher inlet and USE IT,, Unhook the hose except when flushing.. DO NOT leave a hose hooked to that fitting (Ok so I do leave a six inch hose hooked to that fitting but notthing hooked to the other end of that hose) (Make it easier to attach the charged line when I flush)

My Flush hose has both a vacuum breaker (Garden hose fitting size) and a spring check valve, then the quick disconnect.

sounds very similar to my set up.

the sprayer (tornado) has a check ball in it, and i have a back flow preventer close to the QD connector, then another one on my short bit of hose.

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
No problems at all, in fact I use a Y connector on my system.

ONE caution however...

If you use the 2nd hose to flush the tank put a quick disconnect on the flusher inlet and USE IT,, Unhook the hose except when flushing.. DO NOT leave a hose hooked to that fitting (Ok so I do leave a six inch hose hooked to that fitting but notthing hooked to the other end of that hose) (Make it easier to attach the charged line when I flush)

My Flush hose has both a vacuum breaker (Garden hose fitting size) and a spring check valve, then the quick disconnect.

Inside the motor home (hiden where you need to dig to find it) is a 2nd Vacuum breaker, and a 2nd spring check.

That's two belts and two pair of suspenders.. NO, I'm not paranoid, Did not know about the built in ones when I built the hose.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Really no reason to flush between dumps when still on the same site for an extended camp. Do it once when you are packing up to leave.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
So are you saying now that it is OK to make people wait at the dump station???
No. We're not talking about a dump station.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
dbbls wrote:
Mod, please close this thread!

Why? I`ve learned so much!!!! :R
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:

there is an unsubscribe button, use it.
bumpy

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

Medically, speaking, you can eat your own poop with no harmful physical effect (psychological effects vary). If you have other people pooping in your black tank, all bets are off as they may harbor bacteria that is foreign to your body.

Another one in my top 5 idiotic things I've read on this forum - this one bumped the former number 1...

Can you eat your own poop?
It may be idiotic, but it is true.

Dogs do it all the time...even other animal's poop.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

Medically, speaking, you can eat your own poop with no harmful physical effect (psychological effects vary). If you have other people pooping in your black tank, all bets are off as they may harbor bacteria that is foreign to your body.

Another one in my top 5 idiotic things I've read on this forum - this one bumped the former number 1...

Can you eat your own poop?
It may be idiotic, but it is true.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
, and I'm not sure how you get cross contamination from the end of a 10 to 20 foot long hose which is under pressure.

microbes are very strong swimmers. they can do the 20 foot dash in less than 4 hours. against current, 8 hours. sheesh, and I did use plastic gloves the first time I dumped my black tank, but not the next 20 years.
bumpy

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK - so in this thread, people are saying that you should flush the tanks at the dump station. But according to dump station etiquette threads on this very forum this is a big faux paux. So are you saying now that it is OK to make people wait at the dump station??? I see nothing wrong with what the OP is suggesting, and I'm not sure how you get cross contamination from the end of a 10 to 20 foot long hose which is under pressure.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Lots of paranoid people here.
Just a couple of FYIs. If the stuff is coming from YOUR black tank, it was stuff already in your body. Medically, speaking, you can eat your own poop with no harmful physical effect (psychological effects vary). If you have other people pooping in your black tank, all bets are off as they may harbor bacteria that is foreign to your body.
Honestly people, you will pick up more bacteria from money, products, even the doors at a gas station or restaurant than you will by having your flush hose and water hose hooked up to the same spigot. Unless the previous camper pooped on your spigot.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Typically located under bathroom sink/inside cabinet is a 'backflow preventor' that is part of the black tank flusher system.
Inlet line runs from side of rig then UP to backflow preventor then DOWN to black tank and sprayer.

Looks like this (or similar).......

IIRC they have been required since 2004
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31