cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What constitutes proper dog walking?

bertnspike
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, having read some comments about walking dogs to poop in front of a site...

When I take my dog for a walk in a park with paved roads bordered by grassy sites I encourage my dog walk on the edge of the grass. The pavement is sometimes very hot! Usually we get to the open area meant for her to use, but occasionally it happens on the way, along the edge of the road, in the grass.

It's not deliberate OR nasty on my part; when ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go. I ALWAYS pick it up. Always. If someone is outside at the site I'll apologize. It never occurred to me before that someone may have thought I was just being a selfish pig.

Folks who don't own pets: you DO know that most of them don't poop on command, right?

Anyway, do you think there's a better way to handle the situation? Sites next to a dog run are not always available.
92 REPLIES 92

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
bound4fl wrote:
Now if we can get the parents to control their kids as well as they control their dogs we would be in great shape. Lol

Well I have seen kids on leashes.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

bound4fl
Explorer
Explorer
Now if we can get the parents to control their kids as well as they control their dogs we would be in great shape. Lol
Killin time waitin on tomorrow.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Soooo I think our discussions as heated or as fun as they can be on the same o same o stuff are well worth the time if even 10% of those 7,000 lurking campers can take away some good helpful information when it comes to RV'ing! :B

Well said.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmm? My post disappeared! Now why would that be? I didn't flame anyone, didn't personally attack anyone either. I only asked why we put a 100% biodegradeable product into a plastic bag that will take hundreds of years to decompose (yes me too). And then i gave my opinion on a 25ft. Retractable leash, nicely.

So now we can't ask questions here or give opinions? I thought that was what a forum was for?

:h
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are over 7,000 or so people who ONLY lurk/read this forum every day! Only a handful that participate. Most that participate are seasoned RV'ers and many just starting out wanting and asking for help in various areas of camping.

IMHO, the threads that many of us participating forum members feel are 'mundane' or 'is a given' when it comes to camping.....remember those that 'only read' the forum may not have even thought that their actions or practices while in a camp ground were offensive to others and/or inappropriate.

Soooo I think our discussions as heated or as fun as they can be on the same o same o stuff are well worth the time if even 10% of those 7,000 lurking campers can take away some good helpful information when it comes to RV'ing! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
D & M wrote:
I bet 99.9% of the dog walkers do pick up. But it takes one person to start the weekly dog poop rant and it's off to the races. You would think that the stuff is ankle deep at some campgrounds.

Consider for a moment the last time you stepped in dog poop- with your shoes or in your sandals or bare feet. We all know that isn't pleasant and if you've had the misfortune of not noticing until you were in the car (or RV?)....

That kind of unpleasantness and mess is not easily forgotten and quite easily imagined if it hasn't happened to you personally.

Now imagine a similar mess with a young child playing in what should be their 'safe' area.

I believe it is that concern that makes this such an emotional subject for many people.

I do echo an earlier poster's comment. It is good to see people discussing this in a respectful manner.

Just sayin'....
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
I bet 99.9% of the dog walkers do pick up. But it takes one person to start the weekly dog poop rant and it's off to the races. You would think that the stuff is ankle deep at some campgrounds.

Consider for a moment the last time you stepped in dog poop- with your shoes or in your sandals or bare feet. We all know that isn't pleasant and if you've had the misfortune of not noticing until you were in the car (or RV?)....

That kind of unpleasantness and mess is not easily forgotten and quite easily imagined if it hasn't happened to you personally.

Now imagine a similar mess with a young child playing in what should be their 'safe' area.

I believe it is that concern that makes this such an emotional subject for many people.

I do echo an earlier poster's comment. It is good to see people discussing this in a respectful manner.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

If you are seen NOT picking up by campground staff, on two occasions, you are evicted,never to return and NO refunds. I know a campground with this rule, and 99.9% of the dog walkers pick up. It seems to work.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
The cost is as low as $.02 per bag.
But, you're preaching to the choir here. How do you reach the offenders?

If you are seen NOT picking up by campground staff, on two occasions, you are evicted,never to return and NO refunds. I know a campground with this rule, and 99.9% of the dog walkers pick up. It seems to work.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If they sold these in all CG stores I think we could help quite a few of the 'too lazy to carry a bag offenders'.

It really doesn't get any easier than carrying a roll that fits in the palm of your hand and is only 2 inches wide AND also comes in a small dispenser, that clips on and stays with the leash.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
Queens Carriage wrote:
We volunteer a state and federal campgrounds all the time. Almost all have a long winding road to the sites. But almost all dog walkers walk in the campground to too the business. Why it that?

I'm happy when my dog does her business on our site, which she usually does. Saves me the time and trouble of walking around the campground.

One of our favorite Campgrounds has very nice grassed sites. No way would I allow my Golden to urinate on the site. You would have many dead or burned grass spots all over the place. Urine can be much more damaging than poop that can be picked up.

Fortunately this C/G has a HUGE unfinished area, where pets can urinate at no consequence. She knows that she cannot go until she gets to that area.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
But, you're preaching to the choir here.

How do you reach the offenders?

By having the CG fine them $100 if they are caught or someone reports them for not picking up their dogs' waste.
OR
Educate them. IMHO 99% of weekend campers do NOT know about the availability of these type of bags for pick up.

There ARE a lot of dog owners that really do not know these small compact dog doolie bags are available. I have campers always coming up to me and asking where I got my bags and dispenser clicked on the leash.

IMHO when uneducated owners run out of garbage bags in their RV? THAT is when you see the 'dog dump and run camper'.

If I was a CG owner I would upon registration hand out a couple of these dog pick up bags to the RV'er for free. And I would stock them on the store shelves.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Give a dog owner a free easy way to clean up after his dog......and he will come back and buy a box of them off your CG store shelf! :B

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
But, you're preaching to the choir here. How do you reach the offenders?

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
Black Biodegradable Dog Pet Waste Dog Poop Bags Refill 200 400 600 800 Bags
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281019174268?hlp=false&var=

Oh no! You have to be politically correct and be green to pick up poop too?

Ed Begley would be very proud of you! :W