cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do in a tornado warning when in the RV?

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been undertaking a big rebuild on my 5th wheel and yesterday had the whole front end torn off when we got the tornado warning. We did our best to frame it up and tarp it for the upcoming storm. Then decided that if the wind trashed the trailer we could just take the insurance check and run! However, later in the middle of the night when we were awakened by the tornado sirens during the actual storm it got me thinking... What do you do if you are at a campground in the RV and a big storm comes up? What if they have a tornado warning? What if you happen to be close enough to town to hear the tornado sirens and they go off? What do you do? Where do you go? At what point to do take action? Do the park rangers tell you what to do or where to go? Or are you on your own to fend for yourselves? Do you have a plan? Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing?
42 REPLIES 42

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I would suggest to add Meds. to your escape pack if applicable.
bumpy

Also Passports (we are Canadians so always have them at the ready)
I also add a couple of bottles of water and some granola bars to our take along bag.

Over the past few years, we have prepared several times for tornadoes - very scary for sure.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
With warning, I head for the strongest building, usually the bath house. Several years ago while camped on a lake loop in S.C. we had one of those typical bands of severe thunderstorms pass through the area. Both TV and NOAA had issued reports. Things had died down to a light drizzle and I was sitting in my camper working on the computer. The time was right at dusk and I could see homes across the lake as folks started turning on their lights.

I went back to my computer. Suddenly, my camper began to vibrate, slightly at first and then more prominently. Looking out the window, all I could see was a heavy fog of water with branches and leaves passing by. The camper next to me, maybe 40 feet, was invisible. A gust of wind hit the side of my camper, pushing the slide in, with me sitting in it, LOL. Now, I've been through a few hurricanes over the years, but I'm checking my shorts on this one.

The ordeal lasted maybe 20-30 seconds, but seemed like minutes. Once over, I exited the camper to look around. Several 5ers on my loop were damaged. Awnings were gone; batwings were either toppled or pointing straight up; some small cracks in the Filon from flying debris. Interesting though, one of the campers had a plastic table cloth stretched over a picnic table and held down with clips. It was still there and at first glance appeared as before. Closer observation showed it had been nearly shredded. It looked like someone had taken a yard stick and razor knife, and made straight line cuts every inch from one end of the table to the other.:h Amazing!

A camper further up in the park was walking his dog in the light drizzle at the time this happened. He reported seeing a waterspout on the lake that came ashore. I'd say we were extremely lucky that day.
RVn Full-time

tohare
Explorer
Explorer
had the opportunity to experience tornado sirens etc. in Memphis. We carry a weather radio, and had previously experienced heavy storms, so we knew levels up, slides in. We felt pretty good until sirens started blowing, took off on the run to the "club house". The people there figured we were pretty silly to wait until the storm was blowing so hard, and the rain was coming down. They explained which sirens we were hearing, which neighborhood, and all clear signals. This weather kept up for about 3 days off and on. We made some very nice friends!

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Iowa many years ago, in a small city central park, when there were tornado warnings. We asked where to go, and nobody could give us a good answer except one guy who summed it up a lot like they used to tell us in school if there was a nuclear strike or earth quake, which ended with some thing like, "put your head between your knees and kiss your gluteus maximus goodbye. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
1 night several years ago we spent a lot of time in the campground cement block bathroom with 2 grandkids. No tornado hit us. There isn't a heck of a lot to do but pray. Probably going to the sturdiest campground building(usually a bathroom) would be 1st choice but have to admit we aren't going to stay awake all night ready to run to the BR. Getting into the truck would be my 2nd choice. Probably staying in the trailer is not good, especially if large trees. Perhaps a motorhome would be slightly safer?
Jayco-noslide

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
Storms and camping goes together.

Happened to us a couple times. Once the ranger came around and told people to head for the shower house.

Once the storm hit and we just headed toward the showers. I listened to the radio in the car and found the main storm had already pass us by.

Somethimes I think the rangers have the campers go to the shelters so they can find the bodies easier. :W

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest to add Meds. to your escape pack if applicable.
bumpy

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I would head for the shower house. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, ask where to find the storm shelter when we check in. If severe weather is forecast soon we keep an eye on it, and I have things ready to go if needed (lawn chairs stowed, awning in, phones charged). The one time the sirens went off we were ready. DS13 and I high-tailed it and had slides in, jacks up, utilities unhooked, windows shut and were on our way to the shelter in under two minutes. In the RV we are in the habit of keeping things we may need in a hurry in a basket so there's no searching for them. It contains cell phones, a charger, small flashlight, car keys, RV keys and a $20 bill.

LVTOCMP
Explorer
Explorer
We were in that situation many years ago. We were tenting at a Yogi Bear CG. In the middle of the night the CG crew came around with a maga phone and notified the campers where to take shelter.
Jerry

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
In an RV park near Fort Worth, TX, years ago, we responded to a tornado warning by all leaving our RVs and going into the laundry room of the facility. We took our dog in there, too. No one objected. The tornado passed two miles north of us. The storm was spectacular.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few parks have storm shelters, but most do not. In most parks without, they would have you go to bathhouse or other heavy constructed building.

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
When checking in at a park in a tornado prone area we always ask the location of the storm shelter. Only had to go there one time. Didn't go inside but sat right outside ready to enter. Have also been ready to move to the shelter several times. We have a NOAA radio but also ask if there are local sirens. In severe weather we always watch local tv station.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107