cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What rules for Canadian pickup towing utility trailer in US?

Commutator
Explorer
Explorer
I can't find where to get answers to this. In Ontario, Canada all pickup trucks are registered as commercial vehicles. No choice. I'd like to use my pickup (without the truck camper loaded) to tow one or two cars (plated in my name) in my enclosed utility trailer to Florida for the winter. While in Ontario I am exempted from log books, inspection records, and most other commercial rules as I meet some specific "personal use" parameters in Ontario law. I doubt those personal use exemptions are relevant in the US. Since my truck is registered as commercial I'll look just like a hot shot driver going down the road.

I understand that US residents choose whether to license their trucks as personal or commercial. (How logical!!) And they put those "not for hire" signs out to clarify. My issue is how can I legally go through the US with my "commercial" pickup truck and utility trailer? If I have to do weigh scales, logs, etc. and risk fines/delays for my newbie mistakes, it is probably not worth it.

Anyone know where I can get this information?

Thanks,
Fred
2012 Chev 3500 Dmax CC DRW 4x4; 2008 Lance 1055; 2011 Lightning 28' car hauler; Torklift Superhitch and Supertruss; TL tiedowns/fastguns; TL Stable Loads
22 REPLIES 22

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Wadcutter wrote:
sch911 wrote:
You are only required to meet the rules for your home country/state. With the truck in your sig I'd not worry about it and have fun.

Absolutely not true.

You're missing the point! He is 100% non commercial period...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
sch911 wrote:
You are only required to meet the rules for your home country/state. With the truck in your sig I'd not worry about it and have fun.

Absolutely not true.
I spent my career doing motor carrier enforcement, was one of the first MCS certified officers in my state in the early 1980s, taught MCS law, and was recognized by the courts as an expert in the field.
Your home DL and registration are the only things that are recognized. Some states register trucks as 'commercial' even tho they're being used for private conveyance and not for hauling goods. Registering a vehicle with 'commercial' plates is different than using a vehicle in a commercial operation.
You have to obey all other laws of whatever state you're traveling.
Are you hauling the cars for your own use? Or do you intend to sell them in the states? If so then you'd be in a commercial business venture. If you're hauling commercially you're going to need more than just a log book. You would be best served by then contacting a motor carrier safety office near you to get all the info you need, ie, medical card, bill of lading, and a book thick of other stuff. More than I can list here. The MCS school is 6 weeks long.
The best advice you've been given is to stop at the weigh scales. They check more than weights. Those small "private" signs on pickups are often missed running down the road at 70 mph in low light. Stop in, tell them what you're hauling, and if the cars are yours for your own use while here then it's not an MCS matter.
Camped in every state

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
get a magnetic not for hire sign and slap it on. IIRC Missouri had all pickups tagged and they didn't stop at weigh stations.
bumpy

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
If it's your personal vehicle and you meet the Ontario standards of licensing and registration regarding weights and length, I'd skip the scales and drive on through.

X2. As far as I know the scales are for our type of commercial vehicle. Basically a money making venture. I have towed many heavy utility trailers, mostly loaded with whitewater rafting gear, across the Western US and never stopped or even been told I have to stop. Some of my towing was done with passenger plates and some with commercial plates.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If it's your personal vehicle and you meet the Ontario standards of licensing and registration regarding weights and length, I'd skip the scales and drive on through.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go. Plan to stop at any open truck scales and explain your situation. They will probably just wave you through.