cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What sealant or caulk to use ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a leak in the connection between my fresh water inlet and the inside pipe and need to take the outside flange/connection fitting off to get to it.
What is the proper sealant or caulk to use when I reinstall it?

Please don't answer unless you have done it or are an RV tech who does it a lot

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
5 REPLIES 5

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Butyl or putty tape. For extra credit you can drape a bead of ProFlex RV caulk over the top half of the fitting flange. That is what I do.

Good luck with the fill tube. I hate those, they always leak at the ends where clamped. It's a poor design. Seems like I say that a lot about RV stuff. ๐Ÿ™‚
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
poppin_fresh wrote:
Most of the items stuck on from the outside such as the water inlets, power cord cover, etc., are all sealed using butyl tape. It's basically just a putty that makes a seal between the trailer and whatever.

I replaced several items on my last trailer and used butyl tape to reseal them all as that was used by the manufacturer.

Thank you,

I'll see if I can get some

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
poppin_fresh wrote:
Most of the items stuck on from the outside such as the water inlets, power cord cover, etc., are all sealed using butyl tape. It's basically just a putty that makes a seal between the trailer and whatever.

I replaced several items on my last trailer and used butyl tape to reseal them all as that was used by the manufacturer.

Correct .... normally caulk/sealants are only used as a secondary seal. While there might be others two other specific adhesive/sealants made for bedding fixtures are the 3M Marine 4000 and 5000 series Marine products which are my choices to use as a secondary caulk/sealant in addition to the normal butyl tape.

A final option to use in stead of butyl tape would be the double sided Eternabond tape.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use a Geocel polymer sealant. They endure UV and weather greater than any other sealant I've used.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH