cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Vehicles can be Towed 4 Down

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of deciding on a transition from a TT to a Class C. I will definitely pull a "toad". I am wondering what vehicles with automatic transmissions, besides those generally discussed ie Honda CRV, Saturn, are being used by folks. I realize that most if not all vehicles with standard transmissions can be towed in this manner but the wife will not drive one. So, any help, advice assistance would be greatly appreciated......yes I can do research but am not a fan of reinventing if others have info which is valuable.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.
16 REPLIES 16

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
legolas wrote:
Tanks so much for all the input I now have a number of places to look. I will not be using the toad for anything other than the toad....no daily driver. no trips to the gym etc....it will stay with the MH and move when it moves and stay put otherwise.

Now that is an expensive venture, but to each his own.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
JC2 wrote:
legolas wrote:
I am in the process of deciding on a transition from a TT to a Class C. I will definitely pull a "toad". I am wondering what vehicles with automatic transmissions, besides those generally discussed ie Honda CRV, Saturn, are being used by folks. I realize that most if not all vehicles with standard transmissions can be towed in this manner but the wife will not drive one. So, any help, advice assistance would be greatly appreciated......yes I can do research but am not a fan of reinventing if others have info which is valuable.

Keep in mind that "most" class c mh's will have a tow hitch rated at 3500# and should not be exceeded for safety and economical reasons. An appropriate auxillary brake for the towed vehicle should also be purchased. My recommendation would be to choose a vehicle close to the 2800-3200# range.
I had the impression that most of the larger Class C MH had a "Towing Capacity" of 5000#. Are we talking about two different things?

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
legolas wrote:

Keep in mind that "most" class c mh's will have a tow hitch rated at 3500# and should not be exceeded for safety and economical reasons. An appropriate auxillary brake for the towed vehicle should also be purchased. My recommendation would be to choose a vehicle close to the 2800-3200# range.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Tanks so much for all the input I now have a number of places to look. I will not be using the toad for anything other than the toad....no daily driver. no trips to the gym etc....it will stay with the MH and move when it moves and stay put otherwise.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
legolas wrote:

Now that you have the Dinghy guide in hand, your choices should include what's also suitable for a daily driver IMO. Our JK Wrangler is also DW's DD and is suitable for all terrain, along with being one of the simplest to tow vehicles on the planet. If you should decide on a Wrangler, get back for some particulars since the guide may not be completely correct. They are compiled from the owners manuals which didn't keep up with production changes in some years.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
derh2o wrote:
I am surprised this was not mentioned. Clearly use the reference towing guides mentioned above, BUT ALWAYS read the manual to confirm before buying.

Unfortunately this doesn't always hold true. Case in point, the recent fiasco of the Ford Escape and the Chevy Cruse. At least all the problems were warranty covered.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

derh2o
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised this was not mentioned. Clearly use the reference towing guides mentioned above, BUT ALWAYS read the manual to confirm before buying.
Dean & Melinda
2011 29' Monaco Montclaire
2012 Ford Focus Toad

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
The lightest one (1835 lbs) would be the Smart Car. Ours tows beautifully..
If it aint broke fix it till it is

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Chevrolet HHR as a toad. Tows great and my mobility scooter fits in it.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have to research it carefully. there is a website which will tell you but I don't recall the name. We tow a 2012 Chevy Sonic with auto trans and it clearly covers it right in the manual under "towing behind a motor home". I would want confirmation from the manufacturer of the vehicle you plan to tow even if another source says its OK.
Jayco-noslide

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
JEEP with 'controllable' transfer case.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Towing guides for 2004-2013
2001 and 2000 you will likely have to pay the $2 to get them from MotorHome Magazine.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a general idea of what you want, you can use the Remco Towing guide to see if it towable.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

AJMom
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the link to download Motorhome magazine's Dinghy Towing Guide by year. For listings before 2013, the cost is $1.99/issue.
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/