cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What was the biggest flub on a trip?

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always set our items we're loading next to the RV door. On a Thanksgiving trip some years ago, for some inexplicable reason the cooler with the turkey and other refrigerator foods was set on the front stoop. About 150 miles down the road our neighbor called and said, "Did you forget something?"

He got a free turkey and food and we had to rustle Thanksgiving dinner from whatever we could find at a convenience store because all the grocery stores were closed. We did concoct a sausage and egg casserole that year that's become a regular menu item.

There's always a silver lining.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
59 REPLIES 59

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, it's an enclosed trailer, being pulled by a 600 hp Haulmark.

Jim
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
js218 wrote:
Visiting friends in Carthage Mo. hooked up the car trailer and left to go to Flagstaff Az. got to New Mexico when I realized I had forgot to put the Explorer in the trailer. Oh well live and learn.

Jim

I dont know if I would be man enough to admit that one lol. I can only imagine what went thru your head when you noticed that. Did you think for a second that you lost it off the trailer?

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
9 "flubs" on our 2012 vacation:
#2: The Cat Encounter in Spanish Fork, Utah... (Disaster # 2 of 9 on our Summer Vacation, July 7th throu...

#1, 3-9: ... disaster #1,3-9

It was a wonderful trip despite the issues we encountered. It seems as if something happens on all trips, but this one had the most!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
js218 wrote:
Visiting friends in Carthage Mo. hooked up the car trailer and left to go to Flagstaff Az. got to New Mexico when I realized I had forgot to put the Explorer in the trailer. Oh well live and learn.

Jim

That one might just be hard to top. LOL

js218
Explorer
Explorer

Jim
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving all the water hoses home and realizing that after 6 hours of driving. Stop at wally world later, now all the hoses always live in the TT....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled in to the campground four hours away from home, and started setting up only to discover the lawn chairs were still at home. Headed to a nearby Walmart for replacements. Since it was late August the summer stuff was pretty well picked over, so had to settle for poor quality, cheap chairs. Oh well, better than no chairs...

Then while we're standing in the checkout lane, the phone rings, and it's our house sitter. She heard a funny noise coming from the basement, which turned out to be water cascading down the wall from a broken pipe. In August...

Fortunately my BIL is only a half hour away, and he was able to go to the house and stick a cap on the broken pipe--it was only the supply for the outside hose bib.

Stuff happens.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I had to reposition my trailer when we were at a gem show to accommodate another vendor after we had arrived 2 days early and he was just pulling in to set up. Hooked up and raised the leveling jacks and got in and pulled forward about 50 feet thinking it was a bit hard to get moving. Backed up and swung over into the new position still thinking it was pulling a bit hard. Got out and discovered I never raised the tongue jack. DUH. Thank goodness it was loose sandy soil and I furrowed it like a farmers field. Didn't bend the tongue jack either.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Until we started making check lists that we just review and update we always spent the first 100 miles or so quizzing each other on what we may have forgot and making a list. When we couldn't add any more to the list we would stop at Walmart. I don't think we ever forgot anything that we couldn't replace at Walmart a hardware store or RV store.

Reading through the thread two things did come to mind bigger than the above stuff. We were truck campers for many years and used a fold up plastic step to get in and out. One trip it was left in our driveway. The other thing actually happened twice, I pull a 12 foot inclosed trailer a couple of trips per year. I bought the flip down jack option for the back of the trailer so we could come and go from the ramp tailgate when it was unhooked. Worked well for a few years then I forgot to put them up after loading at home and ripped them off before I figured out why the trailer was pulling hard. Decided not to replace the jacks and made up some short jack stands that I carried inside the trailer and put under the back. That worked well for a couple of years till I drove off and left them behind two Summer ago (we are going back to that spot in July I may ask the caretaker if he found them). So I picked up another set of jack stands. At least the free standing ones don't cause damage when you drive away.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot something also. All my tops I packed underwear, pants, PJs, socks, shoes and husbands clothes, and left the tops sitting atop the dryer. Thank goodness for WalMart.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
hornet28 wrote:
ppine, Sedona is a favorite place of ours also. We go for the hiking and are seldom in town especially on the week-end. Last time there was Feb of 15. Has it changed a lot since then?

You should have seen it in 1975.
There aren't two authentic people left in the whole town.
The Cowboy Artists of America was started there in the old Oak Creek Tavern. Those days are long gone.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I now carry a hidden "emergency" credit card in the MH along with the gas card I use for vacation travel......

Wife's purse unfortunately is only good for a million small items and some change apparently.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
My most recent Thanksgiving trip, had two oops that could have turned out much worse. Met family at state park with RV and several cabins for Thanksgiving dinner, carefully packed all food to ensure we all had plenty that granddaughter #2 can eat/be exposed to as she has severe allergies. Set up no issues. Discovered on walk around, I had not put my new registration sticker on MH after it came in the mail (current one was now a month expired and GA has month on sticker, so it was obviously an OCT sticker). Had paid so just had to hope for best.
Left campgound, took MH to dealer to have body work done from Hurricane Damage, got a rental car (I don't have toad yet) and loaded all the stuff that couldn't stay in MH and headed home. After 4 + hour drive, I pulled up in front of house at approx 9pm to suddenly realize my house keys were still in MH on key hook, where I had hung them as I pulled out of the driveway a week earlier. Thank goodness, I was able to call my son and him come let me in. Just was left sitting in drive for 20-30 minutes waiting on him to come rescue me.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
drove away from home with shore power hooked up. I was running a 15-30 dog bone so when I looked in the clause where I keep that stuff my 30 amp cord was there.......... weak link was the receptacle on the house. Lucky for me.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
ppine, Sedona is a favorite place of ours also. We go for the hiking and are seldom in town especially on the week-end. Last time there was Feb of 15. Has it changed a lot since then?