cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where did all this stuff come from?

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
Our RVing needs changed in November. We decided to buy a fifth-wheel.
We get the new camper in march. The Wif and I went down to our current camper and started cleaning it out. I had forgotten we had all this stuff in there. I took four bins out of the outside storage area. Fire poker, hand tools, and misc stuff. We packed 2 bins up inside and have at least 4 more bins to pack up. We have not even got to the storage area under the bed. The thing of it we use all the stuff that is in the camper.
We generally have a rule. If it is not used during a camping season then it is removed at the end of the season.
25 REPLIES 25

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
There are some items we havenโ€™t used in several years.... but they are on the โ€œmust keepโ€ list. With the winter that many people are experiencing, this immediately comes to mind....tire chains or cables for the camper, are at the top of the list. Donโ€™t want to use them, havenโ€™t used them in a while.....but they're always there!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Dry camping or boondocking most of the time adds to the items I might need but I do pull out, thin and repack the outside storage on the last full day of all trips. Donโ€™t go overboard on leaving tools, rope, hoses, tape, lubricants etc. home.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I always laugh when someone says โ€œI donโ€™t have anymore than 5-600lbs of stuff in my trailer!โ€.

I have a lot of stuff. 2100lbs over the dry weight to be exact. And we use most of it. What we donโ€™t use one season may get used the next!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
One of us lives by the opโ€™s rules. One of us doesnโ€™t!

x2. "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" has been my mantra for almost a decade on the road. It has saved our bacon on occasion, but honestly, not that often.
Now that we're downsizing from an A to a C, I think I'll have to inventory the toolkit and "essentials". Minimalist DW will be there every step of the way with price tag stickies and trash bags, I'm sure.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It took me and my friends 5 months to clean out my airport hangar. I'm like a hoarder, kinda. I need bigger houses and a bigger motorhome and a bigger boat. When I die, the storage company will end up with a lot of stuff. They know how to get rid of it.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1 year rule on my flight bag. At the end of the year, whatever I think is extra weight goes into my locker. Over the course of the year, the locker gets emptied and the bag gets heavy again.

There is a minimum equipment list for camping. I know I needed to buy a few things I left at home on our first long trip.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years, I have found it to be a "Law Of Nature" that "stuff" accumulates to fill all available space, plus 10%, regardless of weight.
If you clean it out in the spring, it will be full by the end of the year, leaving you wondering "Where did all this "stuff" come from?"
Some "stuff" is necessary, even though it seldom gets used. For instance, in the back country we are (used to be? I'm not sure the rule is still in effect.) required to have an axe, bucket, and shovel with us. They are still in the basement of the motorhome, and there they will stay.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of us lives by the opโ€™s rules. One of us doesnโ€™t!
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we FTD we had Three basic rules:

Hit a Cat Scale at least once a year
Hadn't actually used it in 6 mos. then it goes
1 bag in 2 bags OUT

Served us quite well
Could Open ANY cabinet, drawer, storage compartment and SEE what was in there w/o having to DIG for it
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are more minimalist types but we have to get rid of stuff at the end of the season we never used that we packed, luckily it is never that much ๐Ÿ™‚
I am so less is more and I find I don't need much anyway. Also end of season we are sure to clean, de-clutter and maintenance etc. It is important to take care of your junk ๐Ÿ™‚

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We have the same rule, and have done a pretty good job of adhering to it all these years. As a result, when we were full-timing, we had empty shelves and compartments, because we just didn't have a lot of stuff onboard.

Quite refreshing. Now, if we could only do the same thing in the S&B...
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more