cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where's everyone camping for the total eclipse of the Sun?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Did you know there will be a total eclipse of the sun next year on August 21?

You can see the path here: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

Are you planning on seeing it? If so, where are you camping? Better make your reservations soon for this one.

I'd like to find a good campground near my area. Anyone know of a good campground in the path south of Asheville?

2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
28 REPLIES 28

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
okhmbldr wrote:
I'm an eclipse "novice", but why would dark skies matter. Doesn't the eclipse start between 11:00-12:00 am MDT?
It adds to the experience because you can clearly see the stars come out and as a bonus, you'll see the winter constellations when it's summertime.

I can check the star charts, but it's possible that you can see the brightest part of the Milky Way (which we rarely see in the Northern Hemisphere) depending on the time of day. The darker the skies, the better.
`

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an eclipse "novice", but why would dark skies matter. Doesn't the eclipse start between 11:00-12:00 am MDT?
Anyway, I'm going to visit a cousin in Scottsbluff, NE. Not camping. But I did check and all the hotels in Scottsbluff are booked for the few days before and after the eclipse. It must be a big deal!
I already ordered my eclipse glasses.....

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
tmm2good wrote:
On my cousin's 80 acres north of North Platte NE. No lights anywhere around his place.
That's very cool. Dark skies add a lot to the experience because, not only will you see the eclipse, but you'll also be able to see the stars come out. Sounds perfect.
`

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
On my cousin's 80 acres north of North Platte NE. No lights anywhere around his place.
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just booked Island Park, Idaho. I short drive to Rexburg where there will be 2:17 of totality. (weather permitting). Plus, while there we will be close to Yellowstone and close by Glacier NP, my next stop.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be in Cape Breton on our retirement trip.
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
et2: Do you mean astronomy, by any chance?
:B I did. But heh, I'm sure they're astrology clubs too
Funny, I was going to say the same thing. But then again, I'm a Libra, and that's how we think. ๐Ÿ˜‰
`

et2
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:

:B I did. But heh, I'm sure they're astrology clubs too

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

et2
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
If so, where are you camping? Better make your reservations soon for this one.

In all reality...who cares??

Some people chase storms & tornadoes across the country, some follow bird migrations, some follow their favorite sports teams, some chase the warm weather. Actually many things interest people in different ways. Why should astrology be any different?

In reality that was a real odd question !! Seems like many here do? :h

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking now to see where I can get the best viewing. I see some campgrounds are already posting "prices" for that date(August 21st). I'm thinking maybe Idaho and then hitting Yellowstone after or Glacier, since we've never been there, Glacier, that is.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

kginder
Explorer
Explorer
Already reserved a week in Myrtle! Gonna be a great show (I hope.)

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Townsend, TN is tempting.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Planning to see Glacier next year. Looking to work this in. August 21 is a bit late in the season in that it will be a scramble to see the eclipse and get back for school.