cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy good semi-cheap ratchet socket set in USA?

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a socket set at Sears Canada a couple decades ago. It served me well but now the case plastic hinges have come apart and parts are not secure within the case.

Prices are generally better in the USA but I am not sure what is the best place to get something similar that will have a compact and durable case and not too expensive.

I need:
Metric + Imperial ratchet and socket 3/8" and 3/4" selections
Screwdriver and bits would be a plus
Most of all I want it to come well organized in a case that will last and be easy to transport.
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30
35 REPLIES 35

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
n7bsn wrote:
gcloss wrote:
Stick with a good brand such as Sears Craftsman tools. Harbor Freight is pure junk made in the Far East. A real waste of money.

Remember you get what you pay for ....

haven't bought any Craftsman since K-Mart bought them have you?

Yes, I just bought a set of Craftsman tools for the RV at Ace Hardware on sale.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
gcloss wrote:
Stick with a good brand such as Sears Craftsman tools. Harbor Freight is pure junk made in the Far East. A real waste of money.

haven't bought any Craftsman since K-Mart bought them have you?
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate to say it but, a lot of Craftsman Tool production has now been moved over to China and it's quality has fallen dramatically. If you have a good older set of tools that serves your needs and the only problem is the box you will be better off to just find a new box. You have to pay good money now to find good quality tools.

Spend a lot of money on new tools or, get a new box, and keep the good tools you already have.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Metal Strips for the larger sizes and ZIP Loc Bags for all the rest!

The Original Snap in place Kit Looked really Nice But Three Drawers can easily fit in One Drawer !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
sears has some nice sets some in cases just rite for ur rv

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer
My normal go to for goodies...
Goodies

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two cheap alternatives are to use a Tupperware container or Sears sell small canvas tool bags for about $10. That's a lot cheaper than buying a new set up tools just for the case.

When Sears has tool set on sale, I've bought them because that's the cheapest way to buy replacement parts sometimes - then I throw the plastic case away because it takes up too much room.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

snapper388
Explorer
Explorer
try some hinges for an ice cooler replacement hinges can be purchased ay most sporting goods stores.
David

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the mastercraft sets at Canadian tire and then wait till they go on sale. Good quality and good price but only if you get them on sale.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly. And for tools you don't use often, such as special shaped wrenches, HF stuff is fine.
Now OP says he wants high quality and is prepared to pay for it. That's not the niche filled by HF. Craftsmen for him.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remember that KMART has Craftsman sometimes less expensively than Sears
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The Snap-On truck will have it if the others don't.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
Those are in my price range and look durable enough. Thanks for the shop recommendations I will probably buy from whichever I come across first.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-289pc-mechanics-tool-set-w-3-drawer/p-00933158000P?prdNo=21&blockNo=21&blockType=G21

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-301-piece-mechanics-tool-kit-45951.html
Eco Camp 20BH

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
If they are Craftsman tools, aren't they lifetime guarantee? Just buy a tool box and get free replacements of any worn tools.

The tools are fine but all the sockets were held in place only when the case closed tight. I could buy a few socket organizers and a tool chest but with the last one lasting me over 20 years I think I can spend 200-300$ for one that will last me the rest of my life. I like my tools tight and organized.
Eco Camp 20BH